Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which front seat am I supposed to have?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Which front seat am I supposed to have? Reply with quote

Just picked up a 1964 11 window. My first bus. I also traded some Thing parts for a front bench seat. But once I removed the strange bucket seats installed, I found these tracks instead of what I thought would be there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are adjuster tracks in the center and a guide rail on the outside of the drivers and passenger side. I dont even see any signs of the hinge mounts like I've seen on other busses.
Any help here?
Thanks
Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more pics? I currently have a W/T on my 63, but my 66 was a bench. I cannot make out anything in that pic.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a split bench to me, the inner 2 passenger mounts are gone. Yank that other seat out and this SHOULD be there, the 2/3 part doesnt adjust, just tips forward to get to the spare.

Last edited by oldschool64bus on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will see what you need advertised as 1/3 and 2/3 front seats. The driver seat ("1/3") is the same (63-67) for walk through and bench seat buses. It is adjustable as evident by the rail setup. The passenger side("2/3") is a set in deal. Check the FAQ and gallery for pics.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I searched for different seats but didn't find anything useful. I was half expecting to be belittled by the split crowd for my ignorance.
Now back on the hunt...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to check out the "Owner Manual" for your year bus:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I searched for different seats but didn't find anything useful. I was half expecting to be belittled by the split crowd for my ignorance.
Now back on the hunt...

I was in the same boat, my bus was a late 80s early 90/s custom, had some nasty high back buckets out of a toyota or something and the stupid POs cout out the 3 center seat mounts
Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick headliner!! Years ago,found a bus with a moth ridden CA state flag headliner. Way cool!
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick headliner....? What about that pimp bulkhead material that looks like my old middle school "Trapper Keeper." (Pre 5-star for you youngins. Wink )

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flag was so saggy it would touch the top of your head in the back seat, the bulkhead was actually a "sub box" I laughed my ass of ass I took it out, the brainiac that built it used 2x2 wood for a frame and then instead of MDF or even plywood they used strips of wood moulding Rolling Eyes and to top it off it was halfway full of tiny styrofoam balls, and yes there are 2 somewhat round holes cut into the bulkhead for 10" subs Rolling Eyes thats all long gone though, even the styrofoam sheets and house insulation that was crammed everywhere including IN the doors
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missed the"saved by the bell" graphics on the bulkhead. Still cool. Very Happy
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldschool64bus wrote:
the flag was so saggy it would touch the top of your head in the back seat, the bulkhead was actually a "sub box" I laughed my ass of ass I took it out, the brainiac that built it used 2x2 wood for a frame and then instead of MDF or even plywood they used strips of wood moulding Rolling Eyes and to top it off it was halfway full of tiny styrofoam balls, and yes there are 2 somewhat round holes cut into the bulkhead for 10" subs Rolling Eyes thats all long gone though, even the styrofoam sheets and house insulation that was crammed everywhere including IN the doors

I think vw put the glass insulation in the doors and interior walls
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63 had 1/3-2/3 instead of one piece bench seat. some have said late 62 had 1/3-2/3 sweat ,but i am not sure.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get a close up of the splatter paint dash please Wink

The answer to your question, check your vin number, the split seat started with chassis number 971 550 which would have been July 63 start of the 63 model year.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtb7001 wrote:

The answer to your question, check your vin number, the split seat started with chassis number 971 550 which would have been July 63 start of the 63 model year.

Would that not be end of July 62 which would be start of 1963 model year?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: