Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Do You Think About Powder Coated Wheels?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: What Do You Think About Powder Coated Wheels? Reply with quote

Do you think the factory powder coating is as good as PC done at your local shops?

Recently I bought some brand name factory powder coated wheels and some of the coating was scraped off of the outside edges of the wheels here and there, obvious damage from warehouse employees who are in a hurry and just beat the crap out of things. The boxes were beat up to a degree as well, you could see a circle of wear and tear on the boxes that went through to the wheel rim as well, both front and back.

I would think that factory powder coating would tolerate a certain amount of wear from warehouse and delivery wouldn't you?

Would you accept wheels like this and do you think that I would be out of line expecting them to be better than this?

I've worked in warehouses before and I know how they are, I can understand a certain amount of damage to the box but not disenegration from being scooted across a cement floor.

What would you expect and/or tolerate from a major brand and/or store/warehouse?
pallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the brand? Im brand new to VWs and ordered an EMPI exahust from a company, the pics looked great, when I got it it looked like it was shipped with a box of rocks and it was bent, called the company and they acted like that should just be expected because "everyone" knows its cheap stuff from china, yeah thats what they told me.....

I orderd an aftermarket set of powder coated wheels for my jeep and they arrived looking 100%...

So Idk...post some pics...
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send them back. If you expected to get new wheels then they should be new not banged up. Where these new from a vendor or private sale. Take pics and send them to the company. Cover your a#@ and don't wait ...
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely call from whoever you ordered them from and describe they were delivered damaged (inside the box). If they're "new" wheels - then they should look NEW!

Have them pick them up (UPS call ticket) and ship some that aren't damaged.

Unless you like buying damaged products for new parts prices....
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and hope THEY pay the shipping back also if you do decide to have therm sent back, as it could be costly.

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pay by credit card? Use it to your advantage if you did.

Call the manufacturer/seller/company and ask to speak to someone who can make decisions, explain your problems with the company and ask that they send a call slip and take them back/exchange them for a new set without such extreme shelf wear.

If they refuse or say anything that you don't like, and you DID happen to pay by credit card, call your card company and retract the payment, throw the purchase into dispute and let the card company do battle for you.

There's no need what-so-ever to settle for crap. List the name of the company right here on the forum and also in the "Buyer and Seller Feedback" forum as well.

This kind of $hit just can't be tolerated, not one bit ! ! ! ! !

Luck,

TC
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I buy new stuff, I expect new stuff.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see everyone feels like I do, some people say I expect too much sometimes, and maybe I do.

The fact is I did complain, immediately, and they told me I could have the wheels and they would have a new set on the way that day. Well I received the new batch todayand they're almost as bad as the first. The boxes are in better shape this time but as with the firs set, three of them looked as they had already been sent back before as they were no longer stapled and were taped and strapped instead. Even though the boxes were better the wheels were beat up almost as bad.

Also as with the first, all of the concrete rash is on the outside edge of the wheel and it corresponds with the circle of damage to the boxes. The thought crossed my mind that that is to be expected to a certain degree, but powder coating should tolerate some wear & tear on the warehouses part.

Bottom line, I expected the wheels completely powder coated covered, even the rim edges.

Sadly, the brand was Cragar and I expected better quality with their powder coating, maybe I shouldn't have. Even though most of the fault was with the store and their warehouse people, the boxes were only one layer of cardboard and very thin, (even the two unopened ones)and the coating doesn't look as thick or good either one as the stuff I get coated locally.

I didn't necessarily want to name the company and piss some people off (the last time I did the thread disappeared) but here it goes, it's a company we all know, JEGS.

P.S.
The wheels were only about $75.00 counting the center caps, it sounded kind of cheap, but all the same I didn't price them, they did. The local shop said they would re powder coat them for that same price. The entire cost of the wheels and caps.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post some pics of how they look. just qurious. I think I would send them back and look for another dealer. I hope it not a case of "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" because that is bull dung.
nightmanx11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have not mounted the tires yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56 manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Air, sorry, I don't have a camera at this time or I'd already of took some pics to show with the first post.

Nightmanx11, No, I didn't mount them. The only stupid thing I did perhaps was to expect quality product at perhaps a to cheap of price. But the fact is, the wheels, other than being powder coated aren't really that fancy at all. They're called Soft 8's.

I guess I'm probably not going to get any without some damage to them period. It seems like they're just trying to pawn off their damaged crap on me. I've never dealt with Jeg's before, I thought they were supposed to be a better company than this, maybe they're not.

The guy I talked to the other day told me to call back if this order wasn't correct in any way, including even slight damage to one or all wheels. I would have thought they would have sent non damaged looking boxes in the first place but now I'm starting to wonder if all they got are beat up returns.

Surely some of you guys have dealt with Jegs before, what kind of luck did you have?

I hate to give up, these are the wheels I really want. The wheels on my buggy right now are a rusty chrome version that is slightly different but close to the same thing but not quite. I've powder coated my tube bumpers, roll bar and engine cooling tins already, I just need the wheels to be finished.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen where some companies put a plastic band around the edges of the wheels to keep this sort of damage from happening during shipping. I guess that's only on the "Expensive" brands? Rolling Eyes
retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered an oil pump from jegs, and got the wrong* one, but in the correct box. They would not lift a finger to rectify the situation. Ivote credit card dispute.

*460 fords use either a front or rear sump pump. While they both bolt on, the oil pan has to match.
olmer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about sending them back and trying a third round of wheels. having said that, there are many levels of powder coat quality and Devil's advocate tells me a $70 wheel with cap got the low end of coating... Sorry to hear this happened twice.
74 bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547777
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that after a year he's resolved the problem.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my fault. I forgot I was reading old posts when I posted on this one... Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: