Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear sliding window will not lock
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: rear sliding window will not lock Reply with quote

hello. i have searched and searched this topic to no avail. i thought i read something about this not too long ago but cannot find it.

i have an '87 wolfsburg. one of the rear sliding windows will not lock. meaning, i can be on the outside with the widow all the way closed and pry it open, quite easily. the window appears to be loose in the track. the other window seems to lock just fine, at least it can't be opened from the outside. in my searching i found an old post about a small part that used to be on the outside of the window in the bottom track. i think both of mine are missing, if i'm looking properly. i wonder does this have anything to do with it? maybe i need all new window seals and that would help?

i'm about to drive cross country and will breathe easier knowing my van can be securely locked.

thanks for any advice!

luka

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: window Reply with quote

I just looked at my '88 GL and the window just sits on the metal strip that it slides along on. Perhaps the black plastic "lock" itself is defective or needs oil?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lock works because of a spring in the mechanism. Make sure you feel this spring, pushing down the spring should push the lock back up. If the latch is loose, that is if it wiggles back and forth, then it will not catch. If that is the case you can remove the latch from the inside with a slotted screw driver. I use a right angle screw driver as its difficult to reach the screw without marring the paint on the sliding door, but you can try that first. Two small phillips screws secure the lock through the glass, if these are loose, tighten them and be on your way. Last time I checked one of mine the hole was stripped and needed to be replaced.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i'll give that a try!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
keving
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a nylon or plastic shim between the sliding window and frame in the track. I found one of my windows was missing this and it sat loose in the frame. From the outside I could wiggle the window enough to raise it above the lock latch and open it.

I ended up finding some on a van at the junkyard.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that doesn't work and your trip is imminent, find a way to put a bar in the track like people do in their homes with sliding doors so the glass simply cannot be slid open. Just remember to put it in place before you exit the van and lock up.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keving wrote:
There should be a nylon or plastic shim between the sliding window and frame in the track. I found one of my windows was missing this and it sat loose in the frame. From the outside I could wiggle the window enough to raise it above the lock latch and open it.

I ended up finding some on a van at the junkyard.

yes... thank you, this is the problem. does anyone know if you can buy these new anywhere? know what they're called? i'll look at salvage yards when i'm back up in portland.

Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are called window guide piece, p/n 281-847-723b, but the last I looked they were NLA. And yes if they are missing you can open the window from the outside quite easily.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple small dowel wood or metal at the correct length will suffice until you find the correct part. I'm going to carry them regardless just extra security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, daizee, i think i'll do that for now.

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... it only took 3 years for me to finally get around to doing this! Found a couple of the sliding window guide pieces (purchased from Ashley at Always in Portland at a good deal, 2 for $6).

It appears I'm only missing one, on the sliding door side. Anything I need to know about installing these things? WD-40 and needle nose pliers is what I've found via the search. Anything else? I have two in case I trash the first one...

Thanks!

childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! Did it. Took some patience, WD-40, and a flathead with a rag around the tip slowly tapping the guide in with a hammer. You can see where it left the flathead mark... Oh well. Nice to have a locked window, again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

torchmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed all of the "sliders" and one day I came across these: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1593049

Fast shipping work great. I did have to add a little epoxy to one to keep it from sliding out.
I think Mr. Jennings would sell many more if his ad was in the Vanagon classifieds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: