Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro sun roof installation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Syncro sun roof installation Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Well I got a Syncro, and wanted a sun roof. Could not find one so made my own. With a little help from others. Well first had to make the frame.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Next we had to cut the hole, cut once measure 4 times. Cut the head liner smaller so you have some to work with.
This is where we had to add to the frame to compensate for the rib in top. Here we are putting the frame in, and you can see the rib I talked
about.
The cut out for the rib.
Looking up from the inside.
Just need to put handle on and some trim. Done
I spent a total of only $500 on this project [email protected] 1-800-764-0926 And with a little help from Rick and his crew, in Phoenix Arizona! The size is 40" by 40" Now I have moved my solar back and my Thule forward. Love the sun roof, can stand up to cook, and you can hang on to the rack standing up when you are 4 wheeling ! Labor to have them do the install runs about $300. Very Happy PS and if someday I want a high top I'm already! Idea
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro sun roof installation Reply with quote

Interesting project; good job!

Fixed your post's formatting...

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Well I got a Syncro, and wanted a sun roof. Could not find one so made my own. With a little help from others.

Well first had to make the frame.

Next we had to cut the hole, cut once measure 4 times. Cut the head liner smaller so you have some to work with.

This is where we had to add to the frame to compensate for the rib in top. Here we are putting the frame in, and you can see the rib I talked about.

The cut out for the rib.

Looking up from the inside.

Just need to put handle on and some trim. Done

I spent a total of only $500 on this project [email protected] 1-800-764-0926 And with a little help from Rick and his crew, in Phoenix Arizona! The size is 40" by 40" Now I have moved my solar back and my Thule forward. Love the sun roof, can stand up to cook, and you can hang on to the rack standing up when you are 4 wheeling ! Labor to have them do the install runs about $300. Very Happy PS and if someday I want a high top I'm already! Idea

'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: sun roof installation in a syncro Reply with quote

Thanks Zippy some day I'll get to under stand this picture thing! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the images and install description. What has the experience been regarding sealing, wind noise etc..... When I ask about wind noise, I mean specifically is there any added noise when driving with roof closed, and secondly, is it feasible to drive with the roof open at highway speed?

I know that it is a fabric roof, but is it lockable?

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing about this mod is if you don't like it for whatever reason you can always add a pop or high top.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: sun roof installation in a syncro Reply with quote

Syncro Pilot wrote:
Thanks for the images and install description. What has the experience been regarding sealing, wind noise etc..... When I ask about wind noise, I mean specifically is there any added noise when driving with roof closed, and secondly, is it feasible to drive with the roof open at highway speed?

I know that it is a fabric roof, but is it lockable?

Thanks for sharing your feedback.
Blue Bay Bus Well if you point a pressure washer sideways at it , will leak some but in normal driving no leaks. Wind noise no more then without it, open or closed. I did get the optional headliner so that helps some. With it open no noise and no buffeting like in my Subaru. And yes you can lock it. I was the guinea pig in this , so got some perks cost wise. And the frame is riveted and seam sealed on. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: