Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel vs Alloy
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
You picked really weak wheels.

They came on the car, I didn't pick them but regardless no 17" rim with 40 series tyre would have survived what happened.

It was a piece of road had broken away on a blind bend and I had to either hit it or an oncoming car.

Sliced clean through the tyre, bent the strut, popped the CV joint out and busted an engine mount, was on a FWD Toyota.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic showing some of the stages of how a Fuchs wheel is made. They start with a piece of bar stock on the right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The middle 3 show the different stages of the forging process to form the center.

The far left shows how the rims are spun into shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You picked really weak wheels.

I have Fuchs on my car. I recall many years ago when I was approaching an intersection in the left lane. The transport in the lane to the right of me started drifting over into my lane, so I moved to the left going through the intersection. I didn't realize how far he had "pushed" me over until I got to the other side of the intersection. At about 40mph, I hit a standard 6" high concrete curb of the median, HARD. Of course the car bounced really high from it. I thought for sure, the wheel was junked, and possibly the tire too. I slowed, expecting the tire to go flat quickly. But the car didn't drive funny at all. I pulled over right away to have a look. There wasn't anything wrong with the wheel at all. To this day, it still spins true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel vs Alloy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
sunseeker52 wrote:
For maybe driving off-road you DO NOT WANT ALLOY!! I've seen what the smallest rock can do to an alloy wheel vs. hitting the same size rock with a steel wheel. Alloy is just that,alloy,basically pot metal. Very brittle.

That's an untrue generalization. There are sand cast, pressure cast and forged wheels. Forged are very light and very strong.

This.

I live on some pretty dodgy rural roads where pot holes are so big entire cars vanish in them so to say I've had experience with buckled and busted rims would be understatement of the century.

But yes as Glenn said alloy rims are in general very strong, the cheaper shit out of China obviously isn't cast as well as quality alloys but in general a rock will do much the same damage whether it's a steelie or an alloy.

Alloys are much thicker in the rim area than steelies but the density does play into that though.
The thinner steel will still bend just as easy but the benefit is if it's not too severe a good flog with a BFH will get you home.

Most alloys will bend in the same manner as a steelie with a big hit, obviously tyre profile plays a big part in cushioning the effect

All depends if they crack or not

It takes a fucking hard hit to do something like this but a steelie hit with the same force will be bent beyond all hope so it's rooted either way, just a steelie is alot cheaper to replace.

JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
JasonBaker wrote:
I was just thinking about this the other day. Does anyone have a friend or have knowledge about how and where wheels and made. Pictures or something?

What kind of wheel?
Depending on the wheel, it could be cast, forged, spun, stamped, .........

Doesn't matter what material or method is used. Any insight at all would be great. Just simply curiosity on my part. I used to skip class and wonder into the machine shop classes in high school. I majored in business, but I have always had an interest in fabrication in general. And there's probably not too many machine shops or wheel manufactuer's that will let me skip work and come check them out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
JasonBaker wrote:
I was just thinking about this the other day. Does anyone have a friend or have knowledge about how and where wheels and made. Pictures or something?

What kind of wheel?

I think it would be cool to see how they all were made and what processes makes one style better or worse. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:

What kind of wheel?
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultra wide 5 off-road wheels made in the early 90's were cast, but they were very tough. I have blasted mine for 17 years and have had no problems. You still see them running on a lot of seasoned off road cars. However some poorly cast wheels can break easily. I used to see the Empi 8 and 5 spoke wheels come back cracked after hitting a curb, or other road debris.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steel vs Alloy Reply with quote

sunseeker52 wrote:
For maybe driving off-road you DO NOT WANT ALLOY!! I've seen what the smallest rock can do to an alloy wheel vs. hitting the same size rock with a steel wheel. Alloy is just that,alloy,basically pot metal. Very brittle.

That's an untrue generalization. There are sand cast, pressure cast and forged wheels. Forged are very light and very strong.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunseeker52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Steel vs Alloy Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: