Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking gearbox oil from hubs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Leaking gearbox oil from hubs Reply with quote

I'm just overhauling the brakes and backing plates on my 54 vert. I have changed the axle boots and axle seals and currently have the brakes dissambled. I filled the gearbox to check the bearing covers don't leak (torqued them to spec) and I've noticed that after filling the gearbox the bearing caps are leaking at the seal just under the axle. These are new seals that were put in along with the rest of the seal kit.

My question is, should I have waited until the brake hardware was back on and the drum and nut on there torqued up before I filled the gearbox? Does the torque of the nut seal things.

I filled before because I didn't want gearbox oil over my freshly overhauled brakes.

Thanks

Steve

Click to view image
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the brake hubs torqued on to seal things up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you replace the axle O ring? YES you need to have the axel torqued before you fill the gearbox.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remember the small O-ring that you slid over the axle? Then the spacer went on with the recess in against the O-ring?

Well untill you have the drum on and tight, there is nothing sealing that O-ring at the axle. So oil will leak.

But that isn't gear box oil when it leaks out of there! Once it goes out of the gear box and into the axle, it's axle oil! Wink
matara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I put the brake hardware on and kept wiping the leak to keep everything clean, then put the drum and wheel on and torqued it all up, and the leak looks like its stopped.

Thanks again

Steve

Click to view image
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matara wrote:
Thanks Guys, I put the brake hardware on and kept wiping the leak to keep everything clean, then put the drum and wheel on and torqued it all up, and the leak looks like its stopped.

Thanks again

Steve

make sure you have the oil slingers in or youll need new brakes in no time
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: