Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trh351
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Thanks for posting John, we did some more video promotion work the last time I was in Tucson with the Ghia, so keep your eyes and ears open for some more. And if any other Ghia Sambinistas want to come to a show I can try to get you on a guest list if I know in advance, just shoot me a pm! Check our tour dates here www.casadecalexico.com

Great looking preservation on the low light. I don't actually drive air cooled VWs anymore (physically outgrew them years ago), but they were the first cars I drove. My dad had a 68 Ghia vert among many other type 1s. I found this site a few years ago and love to look at the cars. Now I find that one of the bands my son turned me on to many years ago, also has a member on this site, now that is awesome. I only have two CDs Feast of Wire and Carried to Dust, but I listen to them often. Great music.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

thanks. i feel lucky that we have been around for so long and people keep showing up for our concerts, and like yourself i grew up with air cooled vw's, unique cars with a design that has stood the test of time. i consider them works of art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Did you make it to that Tango bar in Buenos Aires again John? Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

hello ghia friends! me and my friend naim put together some music for a record we call "the western suite and siesta songs" we also just finished a video that features our vintage VW's check it all out here. i had to get my friend mr. g to help me get mine going after my water disaster, so he wound being in the video too!

http://lmduplication.com/lm10.html
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
hello ghia friends! me and my friend naim put together some music for a record we call "the western suite and siesta songs" we also just finished a video that features our vintage VW's check it all out here. i had to get my friend mr. g to help me get mine going after my water disaster, so he wound being in the video too!

Brilliant John, great music (as always) and just loved the video. Jacqui and I are sat watching it in our hotel in Albufeira, Portugal on a dodgy wi-fi connection but love it despite the stop/start buffering.

Jacqui says, "we are ordering the album aren't we?"

Silly girl of course we are Smile

BTW great bit of reversing out of the driveway Wink
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

thanks john! have a glass of port for me, and hugs to jacqui. we got to play in portugal last summer, but we had to leave right after the show, its a shame because i love it there and would like to spend more time enjoying it....someday....
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
hello ghia friends! me and my friend naim put together some music for a record we call "the western suite and siesta songs" we also just finished a video that features our vintage VW's check it all out here...

Excellent music, and I'm with John on kickin it "Steve McQueen getaway style" down that driveway. My only concern is that if I drive down a straight, monotonous road in warm weather while listening to those tunes I would go into full "Nodder" mode and end up playing cactus pinball with my Ghia (once it's finished of course) Very Happy

Congrats and keep the tune coming, I love guitar instrumentals.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

I'm glad to see you posted this here as I spotted your post on FB showcasing this video. Love it, as well as the music. Definitely captures the feel of the SW. But you have me wondering about this "water disaster"--fried electrics to the starter?
On another note, driving the Ghia out for Dusk later this month? I see you're playing there, but I'll likely pass on this one as it looks like quite a few dj acts. Not my thing.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

thanks thruhiker, yeah, i had driven my ghia during a pretty serious monsoon and went through a deep puddle, i had forgotten that i took a heater hose off and the engine filled with water! the shots in the video are of me and my friend mr. g fixing a wire on the starter that we discovered was loose and also cleaning out the carb. the 'at dusk' festival is a strange line up for us, not sure how all that happened, but i won't be driving the ghia, but later in november i have a recording session and will drive it out then. lets try to get that huevos at 5 points!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

once or twice a year i get the old linseed oil bucket out and wipe down the ghia. this year i went a little further and rubbed some compound in before the oil. looks like my car was green at one time in its life.

you can see too how over time the silver paint keeps rubbing off. i think the silver may have been rattle can paint.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Can't hide that Dolphin Blue though John...still there. Smile
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

here is a shot of my ghia with the rio grand in the background. this is one of the few spots where the border fence ends and you can see right into mexico. i hope i am wrong, but if trump gets his waste of money and stupid border wall, this view will be gone. i run down here, the border patrol know who i am. they have all kinds of cameras, sensors, lights and for the most part a huge fence. no need for a wall, the money could be used for so many better things.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

this is the fence, and a historical marker "el paso del rio del norte"
i felt like i needed to document this in case things change down here. believe me, i hope they don't. i took some other shots too that i will post in a few days.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Best border patrol vehicle on the RioGrande!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Loving the pictures John...share the sentiments too. Looking forward to more Smile
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Loving the pictures John...share the sentiments too. Looking forward to more Smile

A border wall would be the least of your worries, John - you'd have a whole big ocean to swim before you even get to the wall.

Wink
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

here is a shot of my ghia with the rio grand in the background. this is one of the few spots where the border fence ends and you can see right into mexico. i hope i am wrong, but if trump gets his waste of money and stupid border wall, this view will be gone. i run down here, the border patrol know who i am. they have all kinds of cameras, sensors, lights and for the most part a huge fence. no need for a wall, the money could be used for so many better things.

Nice pictures of your Ghia, John.

Since you mentioned the fence I read that when boundaries are clear, relationships can better prosper. As I did with my neighbor.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

Maybe it's not necessary at your locale, but it is elsewhere.

If you wanna go political instead of just showing off your car and some nice scenery, I'd be more than happy for all of it to be deleted.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

agreed! i should not have mentioned our current administration or its policies, i would much rather keep it beautiful, like our cars.

here is a picture of a restored gas station i stumbled upon.

i got inspired by a photo from Pogel and his incredible collection of vintage photos, and put my 'open road' Stetson on my Ghia.

one of the many things i love about el paso is all the stone work done by hand all over the city. here is an example.

and one i posted in the post your Ghia's thread.

i was inspired by thruhikers recent picture of his Ghia in front of a mural in Tucson, AZ there are a few here El Paso that are great, i will post those when i get a chance.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
agreed! i should not have mentioned our current administration or its policies, i would much rather keep it beautiful, like our cars.

X2. Love your pictures. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 21

Jump to: