Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents. I was hoping the po would send me some pictures from the ebay add because I didn't take any pictures when I got it, I regret that because it really was just a shell full of every kind of nest there is. He said he would send them but never has. He was the second owner, he bought it
in 1960, on his wedding day, they sold the car to celebrate their 50th anniversary in Mexico. I was going to do a full restoration, but fell in love with the patina. Maybe someday....I really like the original feel of this car though for now.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the certificate....I will send it back and keep you posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please please please please please (I typed those, no copy and paste)
dont paint this car, it looks amazing as is.
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more....having too much fun with this....thanks again for the compliments....and there is no money, or paint in sight for this bad boy so patina lovers need not fret.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this car!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregmporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you live in the desert man. That thing would be crispy little bits here in the midwest. I suspect that patina will remain about the same for the next 100 years out there in the dry climate.

1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupe (in progress)
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
one more....having too much fun with this....thanks again for the compliments....and there is no money, or paint in sight for this bad boy so patina lovers need not fret.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good to hear! Nice car....Calexican. Just roll that bad boy.
59 single cab
transit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find, nice and complete!!...
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transit wrote:
Great find, nice and complete!!...

didn't come that way.....found a lot of parts here on the samba....most in fact....

the samba. great thing it is.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregmporter wrote:
Good thing you live in the desert man. That thing would be crispy little bits here in the midwest. I suspect that patina will remain about the same for the next 100 years out there in the dry climate.

yeah like neil young says, rust never sleeps.....

but in the desert it takes a nap.

i used a lot of por-15 and marine clean on anything rusted and shot rust inhibiter down the heater channels....would still like to get in there and fix the parts rusted through....after spending time on the forum, and seeing some of these amazing rust repairs, i would like to have that done someday.
Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would of thought "Patina" would become so popular? And has to be "original" to be truly appreciated.

This kind of eye candy just makes ya smile. Smile
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
calexican wrote:
pbaptist wrote:
It was a color for a Karmann Ghia convertible and also a color for a 1958 beetle.

Your car is a beetle Confused (113, VW de luxe sedan)

a mistake at the museum perhaps?

If you ordered that birth certificate I would contact them sending a picture of the car and certificate, asking them to note it is a Ghia not a Beetle as stated in the certificate. Also ask them to check the original paint code.

Birth certificates aren't cheap any more so you should expect a better result than the one they sent. Confused

Great Ghia BTW. Smile

i did what you said john and they sent me a new certificate....i tried to post a picture but they keep showing up corrupted....

the new certificate came in a nice folder with pictures of vintage volkswagens all over it. the color is dolphin blue L 337. may 30, 1958.

country of destination was France which i thought was interesting.

the engine number matched up as original.

some of the us equipment was funny too...ram protection??? hazard warning system without flasher???

i'll try again later for a picture.

i've been slowly removing layers of paint and getting down to the dolphin blue. really lovely color.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram Protection is the overriders and towel bars BTW. Beautiful car, I want a lowlight so bad it hurts me physically, but I'm stuck with my bug for now.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, that makes sense....i thought it was something to do with the nose. thanks for that. hang in there, keep looking, they pop up every now and again.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car. Great to see another classic Ghia here in Tucson! Very Happy
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say... about an hour ago I pulled into a Tucson grocery store parking lot in my 66 Copper and black roof Ghia coupe - I went to a "safe" place in the rear of the lot under a overhead light and pulled into a spot next to this awesome 1958 Calexican Ghia!
It looks even better in real life.
The interior is as nice as the exterior!
I waited 10 minutes outside for the owner to come out and went inside... looking for someone who looked like a Ghia owner! LOL!
I came out , was going to wait some more to say hi...
and it was gone.

And then to see the car here on the Samba hours later is too much.
Calexican - PM me if you want to meet up and talk Ghias.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.. patina low light Karmann Ghia.. cool..
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Idaho89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when the certificates were free (or close to it) I sent in for my 63 deluxe bus - typed out the information exactly as it was on the vin and when I got it back I had a 58 bus of another color. I was disappointed in the result...now I am afraid to do it again and wast a lot more money.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idaho89 wrote:
Back when the certificates were free (or close to it) I sent in for my 63 deluxe bus - typed out the information exactly as it was on the vin and when I got it back I had a 58 bus of another color. I was disappointed in the result...now I am afraid to do it again and wast a lot more money.

I think today if you pay €50 you deserve and should demand something that makes sense. If you order one as "calexican" did and it's obviously wrong it pays to complain. To be fair they reissued a corrected one free of change but they usually get it right first time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

das skiver wrote:
I have to say... about an hour ago I pulled into a Tucson grocery store parking lot in my 66 Copper and black roof Ghia coupe - I went to a "safe" place in the rear of the lot under a overhead light and pulled into a spot next to this awesome 1958 Calexican Ghia!
It looks even better in real life.
The interior is as nice as the exterior!
I waited 10 minutes outside for the owner to come out and went inside... looking for someone who looked like a Ghia owner! LOL!
I came out , was going to wait some more to say hi...
and it was gone.

And then to see the car here on the Samba hours later is too much.
Calexican - PM me if you want to meet up and talk Ghias.

I've seen your car around town a few times, then parked right next to mine. I was walking my dog down in the Rillito. I have actually driven you car! I knew the previous owner, and almost bought it, but held out for a lowlight. Great car, really love the color combo, it didn't have the black top when I drove it around. It's so great to see Ghia's driving around town. Have you seen the silver lowlight around town? That is the original owners son driving it.
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool is this?
What a small world - I know Tucson is a fly speck - but even so, pretty cool!
A week or so ago I "chased down" a 64 Ghia here in town and we talked for 1/2 hour - we e-mail of and on and we'll meet again at one of the VW club meet-ups when our schedules coincide.
I have an amber 74 Ghia vert and saw this 66 sitting immobile on my block for a week and left a note asking if the owner was interested in selling...
2 days later this 66 was mine too. So now I think there are at least 5 Ghias in Tucson (including Samba member "61 Bus" and his 74?)
I suppose you remember the big chunk of paint off the roof... I repaired that and fixed the clutch cable mount (in 2 places) Fixed and POR15ed the pans, new accel & clutch cables and now drive it daily. i just received my DelLorto carb rebuild kits - that's next. The thing runs like a bat outta Hell!
Give me a holler or PM if you ever need any help - or just to go for a cruise and show the bug crowd some real classy vintage VW iron.
Damn - I love these things! LOL!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: