Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body VIN Tag fasteners
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Body VIN Tag fasteners Reply with quote

An interesting topic has come up in the vert thread regarding vehicles with round headed screws attaching the vin plate to the car. Although the majority of 56 up cars seem to be held on by rivets there are a few of us with screws.

I have 3 vehicles with screws on the plates, 56 type I vert, 60 euro sedan, and a 60 euro ghia vert. In the past Ive owned a sept 55 sedan and a nov 58 vert which both had rivets.

It has been mentioned that if a dealership was replacing sheet metal due to collision they would have re attached the plate with screws. None of my vehicles have had any sheet metal changed.

Anyone else have round headed screws holding on your vin plate?
Adoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Body VIN Tag fasteners Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:

It has been mentioned that if a dealership was replacing sheet metal due to collision they would have re attached the plate with screws. None of my vehicles have had any sheet metal changed.

Thats the only reason I can think of.
ludeman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 57 has little ph self tappers, but mine is due to the PO installing carpet in the trunk. I guess he still wanted the plate visable.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CKD 57 has rivets for the plate but 2 screws for the "made in Western Germany" neither have ever been removed from the body

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Ovals and all the VIN are rivited on (not popped).
1 Split rivited on also.

I think all VINs are tamper evident.
1974 Thing (US specs - Mexicanos)
2008 Rabbit S (Wolfsburg DE)
2012 Golf TDI Tech Package (Wolfsburg DE)
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the vert thread there are now 4 owners with large round head screws attaching the vin plates.

1 February 1955
1 October 1955
1 November 1955
1 1956 (unk build month)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Body VIN Tag fasteners Reply with quote

My 1955 unrestored Sunroof has has rivets for the VIN plate and two slotted screws for the "made in Western Germany". None have ever been removed from the body.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Body VIN Tag fasteners Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My late 55 type 1 that is actually 56 with rivets in the vin and screws in the west Germany plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
In the vert thread there are now 4 owners with large round head screws attaching the vin plates.

1 February 1955
1 October 1955
1 November 1955
1 1956 (unk build month)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My '56 sedan has rivets on the VIN plate and round head screws (like the ones that attach the "Karmann" badge on verts) that secure the Made in Germany plate.

However, I just looked at a photo of my former '60 vert and the VIN plate had screws instead of rivets. It had no front end damage or repairs. Since verts' trunk components (fuel tank, trunk liner, wire cluster cover, etc.) were painted at Karmann, I wonder if the plate was left off by VW or removed by Karmann and reattached with screws after the trunk painting was done?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Since verts' trunk components (fuel tank, trunk liner, wire cluster cover, etc.) were painted at Karmann, I wonder if the plate was left off by VW or removed by Karmann and reattached with screws after the trunk painting was done?

Karmann definitely put their own VIN plates as vert only colors are always behind them. They also stamp their vert only 15- body numbers as well. As seen not all verts have the screws and the ones that do show no evident pattern.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
As seen not all verts have the screws and the ones that do show no evident pattern.

If anecdotal evidence is likewise conflicted, there's no way to know why some have screws and some have rivets. Other than these were cheaply priced cars and what was available on hand at the time is what was used. Question

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Body VIN Tag fasteners Reply with quote

The main similarity of the screw VIN plates in type I (type II used the same screws for VIN plates up to 63) is Karmann. Yes my 60 euro sedan has screws but its gray market so who knows with that one. Ive seen other early ghias with screws but never another sedan.

Your 60 vert is the latest mentioned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: