Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old dogs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
At least a little Poonce will be with you always:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its true. Thanks for that shot chef! Fuck i miss him
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear this. but as said before chin up knowing you gave poonce a good life. i'm only a coupla weeks away from the 2 year mark of losing klare and i still miss her. the good ones you never forget. i will say it has made me spoil earl even more than i did her(she was pretty damned spoiled). i had her cremated and she literally will stay with me. we have some regrets about a pet we buried and didn't want that regret again.

anyhow SO SORRY for your loss but take comfort in the good life you gave and that he is no longer in any pain...ken....
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure he will haunt you a while. Dogs give us something few humans can.

I lost my travelling buddy Polar a while ago to lung cancer.

But then Ripley came along, and it helped ease the pain... They will always be with you..

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear about your dog. I know the pain all too well!

Years ago we had a Newfoundland / St. Bernard mix. This dog was HUGE!! He weighed what some smaller adults weigh.
The time came to say goodbye, the Vet wanted a reasonable fee for his services ($30 or so) but for him to dispose of the body was an enormous fee, several hundred dollars if I recall. We didn't have any extra cash so I decided to dispose of the body myself, we had acreage and a backhoe so it wasn't an issue.
The evening I had him put down turned out to be dark and cloudy with rain and lightning. They had wrapped the dog in an old blanket and I brought him home in the back seat of our car.

My wife says she looked out of the window to see this horror movies scene of a dark figure pulling a body wrapped in a blanket from the car with the flashing of lightning and the pouring rain was indeed an eerie sight!
Still makes us chuckle when we think about it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this. I understand how difficult it is. We are staring this in the face right now, as our old girl just had a big tumor removed a few weeks ago, and the tests have said it's not good. Doc gave her another year or so. I'm not looking forward to that day.
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read "Merles Door" by Ted Kerasote. Best dog book, ever.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
I am sure he will haunt you a while. Dogs give us something few humans can.

I lost my travelling buddy Polar a while ago to lung cancer.

But then Ripley came along, and it helped ease the pain... They will always be with you..

I was just browsing your website Sage and read about Polar. That got me all worked up again about Poonce. Been about 6 weeks now and still sucks hard. Got his ashes now with his old collar wrapped around it. Kombi, our yellow lab, had a hard couple of weeks but has adjusted, especially since we spoil the shit out of him now! Taking him on a 20 mile backpacking trip through the Bob Marshall (just south of Glacier) this weekend. Hopefully he wont spook the rainbows or the grizzlies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ain't no companion like a blue eyed Merle".

Or a German Shorthair. Damn, I miss Ben.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my earliest childhood memories is one of me sitting on a dirt street in Mexico with my dog that had just been ran over and killed by a hit and run driver. I think I was around 4 or so ( 1975). I've never had another dog of my own until we brought our Lab home from a shelter in 2008. She is around 7 or 8 years old and had joint issues and was recovering from heart worm when we adopted her. She loves to play ball and can't get enough time in the water. She is slowing down and the kids don't play with her as much as they used to. She is loved and cared for well, but the thought of the end coming someday is sad. Enjoy them while you have them, as they enjoy you. Sorry about your loss.
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad About 6 months ago i bought an all white pure breed boxer from my cuz for my wife. Me n Snowball became the best-est buddies. She slept with me, went ridin, everything. .. 3 months ago i was backing out of driveway and stopped to talk to nieghbor. Apparently Snowball wanted to go and was sittin under the door sill on my side as i talked to neighbour who was at the pass. door. I put my truck in drive and felt a bump as i started to pull away. I stopped and Glen told me to go home. He saw my dog and knew there was nothing that could be done for her. I got out of my truck,left it in the street and ran home crying. I already knew what happened. A few moments later i heard 1 gun shot. I couldn't stop crying. My wife caught on to what happened and did the same. Glen wrapped her up for me,
made me a REALLY nice coffin in a matter of an hour(expert wood worker). I tried to diga hole but couldn't stop sobbing. Glen resumed digging. After burial, I welded up a white cross to mark her eternal resting place.
I still sit with her once a week,or more,and talk to her. I
miss her dearly....My other 2 dogs do as well i suppose cause they sleep and lay next to the cross. As i write
this,my eyes fill with tears...

I'm very emotional when it comes to family, and yes my dogs get treated as family. They get McCrappy meals everytime my kids do.
If any "PRICKS" think its funny that a
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should have ended like this. ....
If any pricks think its funny that a grown man would cry over a dog,(me or anyone else that lost a friend ) , come to my house so i can show you how funny it really is.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my klare has been gone 2 years this past fathers day. i still think of her and get teary eyed all the time. there are still pictures of her all over the house. i still have not been able to do what i planned with her ashes. we got earl a few months after her passing. he is an awesome dog that is truly my best buddy(sleeping in his usual spot at my feet as i type this) but in no way did it take my ole girl outta my mind. he does have her to thank though. the loss of her makes us spoil him that much more. my wife adores the hell out of him. she loved klare but i think klare was more MY dog because i got her before we got together and the bond was already strong. she also wasn't a "dog person". earl has changed that for her. she treats him better than most people treat their children...ken....
drnewman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my dog Cody in 2007. He had been with me since 1994. Tore me up alot more than I ever thought it would. He was a red merle blue-eyed australian shepard and smart as could be. I never once put a leash on him and we went almost everywhere together. After he passed I had him cremated and he stays on the shelf in my living room in a nice looking wooden urn. I swore I was done with pets.

Then, in January of this year a customer at the mechanic shop I work at came in asking if anyone wanted a dog. He was taking this ragtag looking mutt puppy to the pound. The frost melted in me a little and I thought, what the hell. So I brought her home and my son named her Sandy. She has yet to be on a leash and stays right in my unfenced yard. Awesome.

Then, last Friday my ex came over with a very large bulldog mix with no home. Ah crap, here we go again I thought. Sure enough, he now resides with me, my son who named him O.D. (other dog - I know) and Sandy the ragtag mutt puppy. This one runs like hell without a leash, but does stop when I call him. Can't win them all I guess, but he is pretty cool.

So, full circle again, dog, no dog, dog again. Life is more fun with a big ol hairy slobbery dog or two around, even though you know it's gonna hurt like hell when they pass on.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old girl has been hurting lately. Our friend, and her Doc, stopped by tonight to talk things over. It won't be long till the end. It's hard to think about, and even harder to talk about. This thread has helped the process.

Over the next several days we will be traveling around visiting some old haunts, and some old friends, to say goodbye. What else can you do?

I'll get some pics if her riding in the bus. She loves that back seat.
MLTIGGER2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might be hit with losing two of our three dogs in the near future.
We have a 14 year old Austrailan cattle dog, Aussie and she is very arthritic and is now losing bladder control and then our 11 year old Newfoundland, Dakota he seem to be doing well with no problems, but they only normally live to be 10 or 11.
It's going to be a sad day Crying or Very sad
Freak182
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txdunebuggy101 wrote:
That should have ended like this. ....
If any pricks think its funny that a grown man would cry over a dog,(me or anyone else that lost a friend ) , come to my house so i can show you how funny it really is.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
X2

Supporters:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Viande
Decal restoration by bryanbrutherford
www.CooperTires.com
http://www.oeveedub.com/
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
My old girl has been hurting lately. Our friend, and her Doc, stopped by tonight to talk things over. It won't be long till the end. It's hard to think about, and even harder to talk about. This thread has helped the process.

Over the next several days we will be traveling around visiting some old haunts, and some old friends, to say goodbye. What else can you do?

I'll get some pics if her riding in the bus. She loves that back seat.

On Poonces last night, it was as if he knew the next day would be his last. It was a beautiful night out and i had no idea this was going to be our last evening together. I was outside working on the bus, as always, and he started bringing up of all of his outside toys, one at a time. I remember at the time thinking how funny he is. So we kicked around the soccer ball for awhile. He was not tuckering out as easily as he used to. Then he would grab his tennis ball and we played chuck it for seriously 30 minutes straight. He was just not wearing out. I was smiles ear to ear because he had not played like this in years. He was always athletic so i was happy to oblige. Finally the sun went down, we went inside and he stayed close to me the whole night in a way not so typical of him (tearing up just writing this). He knew, i didn't, but he was saying goodbye in his way and enjoying every last minute he could in his fashion. The next morning we were off to the vet. Sucks man! Enjoy every last mintue you can!
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Sorry to hear about Poonce candyman. Its never easy to deal with,but it will get easier over time. At least he let you know how much he enjoyed being with you. I believe that was what the playing was for,one last time kinda thing, ya know? If people go to Heaven,dogs must too cause they don't lie and are the most loyal that loyal can be....
Thirstytank
Samba Gaucho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost our good buddy domino last weekend. Lots of good miles with him, RIP old friend. Your spirit is with us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's gone. I'm dizzy. This really sucks.

Old friend, you taught me well, I will never forget you. Thanks, and goodbye.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: