Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon unreliable? I think NOT!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Vanagon unreliable? I think NOT! Reply with quote

So yesterday we were driving in Mrs. Tap's truck into town to pick up the K-9, when trouble started. So I nursed the truck to the side of the road, and waited 2 hours for a tow. In the meantime Mrs. Tap took the bus/EL back home while I waited for the tow truck. When the tow truck came, Mrs. Tap came to pick me up from the shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now that's an '09 being unloaded from the tow truck, and there's the '85 VW Vanagon coming to pick me up... and a weirdly leaning Mrs. Tap wearing her sad-face.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Spartans!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van has never taken a tow of shame. Preventative maintenance goes a long way.
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeftySmurf wrote:
Go Spartans!

Dam right.

And yeah, we got a AAA membership assuming either the '74 MG or the '85 VW would need a tow at some point...not so. Statistically speaking, the least likely car to need a tow, got the tow-of-shame on Sunday.

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove my 85 Westy for 9 years/75K miles through 49 states without any issues requiring a tow.

The only time it had to be towed was when the fuel pump quit along a busy highway with no shoulder within 5 miles of my shop. Crying or Very sad

The TurboTransporter's been towed twice. The first time was when the then failing turbo was dumping so much oil into the exhaust that people walking along the road began giving me the finger as I passed. The second time was when a coolant hose began leaking but I couldn't get into the engine compartment to fix it because I had a Westy pop top in the bed and it covered the engine cover. I had it towed the 15 or so miles to my destination, unloaded the pop top, fixed the leak and drove home.

My 87 Westy Weekender was towed when the VWoC Twisted Evil rebuilt engine blew the Right side water jacket seal. I saw the low coolant light come on and I coasted to a stop about 1/2 a mile from where the fuel pump had quit on the 85, less than 5 miles from my shop!

AAA owes me nothing!
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when when my van does break. I can usesally do on the spot repairs enough to get me home. In a sick way I actually enjoy this.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've used all those tows so many of you have never needed! Scooby is so ashamed AND broke. CAA Plus only covers 4 tows a year. I've only got one left for this year and last year I paid for about 8 tows so some of you are very very very fortunate and skilled. I ENVY you for being so shameless Smile

But I should say that 3rd Emergency Service Call was for locking my keys in my Tercel at the library! At least it wasn't the Vanagon which is presently 80 km NE of Toronto being looked into. I may need a REVERSE TOW to get up there as no transportation to that area. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Good AAA guys Reply with quote

I have only been toad twice, bring the wheels home the first time (To pulled it out of it's 2 year wooded home)

Then a mile from my house..the car stopped charging.

Great Wrecker guys, dropped the bus in a near impossibe parking spot..

Usually a bullet proof cruiser..
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my syncro has let me down once in the 2 weeks i've been driving it now, ran out of fuel. Embarassed
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1993, I think I have been towed twice; both were due to accidents.

I have had to leave it behind before, only to show up later with parts.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Good AAA guys Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have only been toad twice,

I was 'toad' once. Back in the 70s. Took too much acid. Smile

Seriously though, I had to be towed twice in the 7 yrs I've owned the old girl.

Burned a hole in an oil cooler line that shifted and got up against an exhaust manifold. Dumped ALL the oil out in a matter of a few seconds.

The other time was when the front transmission mounting bolt vibrated loose and the front of the trans dropped and hit the road. I was 200 miles from home but only 5 miles from the nearest AutoZone. I opted for AutoZone, bought an El Cheapo floor jack for about $25 and a bolt the right size for about $4. 30 minutes later I was back on the road.

Other than that there have been 2 or 4 times that I've not gone on a trip because something or another was worrying me.
'96 BMW R1100GS
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, when a vanagon isn't breaking down, it's more reliable than anything else on the road. Wink
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow Vanagons home/with a Vanagon.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Yep, when a vanagon isn't breaking down, it's more reliable than anything else on the road. Wink

Laughing

Last year's trip to Durango saw the Westy running just dandy from start to finish. The Chevy truck (albeit an old one) traveling with us, not so much: overheated twice and had fuel system issues causing it to stall continuously on I-40.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: