Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to replace o2 sensor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: How to replace o2 sensor Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new and I just got an '80 vanagon air cooled (CV engine code). California emissions vehicle.

PO told me his mechanic said the o2 sensor needed to be replaced. Well, I ended up finding several other things and have gotten the engine to run a lot smoother than it was last week.

I cleaned up the ground near the crank case breather, plugged the air flow computer connection back in, reconnected the full throttle switch, and put back the idle stabilizer.

Now, the o2 sensor. Where is that thing? I have a feeling it's right under my nose, next to the base of the distributor? Else, how do I get to it and if anyone has the same engine can you take a picture and point out where it is. I have a new sensor and have been searching the Bentley manual for how to do this but it doesn't have squat that I can find (it's also laid out weird).
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Replace your fuel lines -- a big cause of disastrous fires in old Vanagons.

I'm not familiar with the earlier, air-cooled Vanagons. Assuming it has an 02 sensor, it is in the exhaust system - typically just before the catalytic converter.

Use the Forum->search feature. You'll find all sorts of great threads that might help you out.

Congrats on the new Van! Before long you'll know everything about it.

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
mwsnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to replace o2 sensor Reply with quote

gamorm wrote:
Now, the o2 sensor. Where is that thing?

In the exhaust "Y" pipe, near the catalytic converter. Bentley page 26.3

Mike
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've found it you may find that it is in there very tight. May need to use a penetrant like PBlaster repeatedly letting it soak for several days and perhaps try loosening it when the system is hot -- OTOH it may come out with no trouble at all.

There are special sockets for removing these (hardened and slotted to deal with the wire). Some look like regular long sockets (sorta like a spark plug wrench) but on my 84 I have to use this type due to limited clearance:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-offset-oxygen-sensor-wrench-97177.html

Works well and you can get a long breaker bar on there if need be.
gamorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I think the PO took out the catalytic. I looked everywhere; above, under, left and right.

I knew there was no muffler, but looking upstream now I realize the catalytic converter is out too and I'm running straight pipe.

Where would you hide the o2 sensor/cable then? I guess I could follow it from the harness but would need help ID'ing where on the harness and which wire (guessing it will be the only wire hanging out by itself?)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best get a cat as California's smog are pretty strict. The O2 sensor is installed on the crossover pipe and the green wire is visable on the left hand side of the engine compartment.The Bentley shows the configuration on page 26.3.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamorm wrote:
...Where would you hide the o2 sensor/cable then? I guess I could follow it from the harness but would need help ID'ing where on the harness and which wire (guessing it will be the only wire hanging out by itself?)

Here is where mine appears coming out of the harness. It is the green wire that goes to a sorta-clear plastic connector then it is a black wire from there to the O2:

Thru a grommet then to the sensor (that spade connector is not original, just added for the convenience of testing, replacing etc):

This is on an '84, your '80 may be different.
gamorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the wire. Guess what it was hooked up to? A light bulb. What the?

I took it out and am now shopping around for a parted out exhaust system. Do you think this explains why the engine starts and runs fine for a few minutes, warms up, and then sputters out?

I'm thinking the computer is getting one story from the temp sensor and bad data from the o2 sensor. Do you think there is any way around that for now?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamorm wrote:
Found the wire. Guess what it was hooked up to? A light bulb. What the?

I took it out and am now shopping around for a parted out exhaust system. Do you think this explains why the engine starts and runs fine for a few minutes, warms up, and then sputters out?

I'm thinking the computer is getting one story from the temp sensor and bad data from the o2 sensor. Do you think there is any way around that for now?

Check out "Interstate" auto. Diane has more parts for air cooled VW's than Doans has pills. Another place would be Avery's Air Cooled out of Washington. Interstate is out of Southern California....Ill look for some contact information. Nice to see another air-cooled on the road
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go.

Avery's Air-Cooled
1685 Schurman Way
Woodland,Washington 98674
800-458-5852

Interstate Used Parts
135 N. Pacific Street #C
San Marcos, California 92069
760-736-8515

Interstate Used Parts
18181 Colier Avenue
Lake Elsinore,California 92530
951-471-5080

A poster happened to mentioned that one of the Interstates yards might have closed but Im not sure which one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: