Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

My '64 Ghia powers only one filament in each headlight on low beams, but it tries to power both filaments in the headlights on high beams. On high, the low circuit is only getting four volts or so (measured at the fuses). Should it just be one filament or the other in each light? Or are they all lit up for high beams?

I'm wondering if my (probably original) headlight dipper (dimmer) floor switch is shot. Or, maybe I've wired something wrong somewhere along the line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

Check it with a VOM

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

I've been probing all over the place with my voltmeter.

Just to confuse things, I was running a set of these LED headlights:
SMD European Headlights 6V/12V 1 Pair fits Porsche 356, 912, Early 911,
The feedback on the low beam circuit went away when I removed those. I'm now thinking that those headlights might be designed to power both "filaments" on high beams, but my electrical system can't handle the current.

To get back to some kind of known state, I put the old incandescent sealed beams back in.

Here's what I'm seeing for volts:

At battery terminals: 6.04 lights off, 5.88 high beams

The following are referenced to ground near the fuse block, flasher:

On high beams:
    Red at headlight switch: 5.25
    White-black at headlight switch: 5.18

Fuse block:
    Low beams: 4.75
    High: 4.40

At bulb:
    High: 4.20
    Low: 4.57

I would readily believe that the electronics on the LED headlights could malfunction when the voltage is down in the low 4s.

It looks like I'm getting a big drop through the dipper switch; ~0.78v.

I've ordered a new dipper switch and a new transmission ground strap. The original ground strap looks fine, visually, but I'm losing volts somewhere. My wiring harness was new about 15 years ago, and it is a 6v harness (heavier guage than 12v, I think).

I guess I could consider herbie1200's suggestion to "put a 6-8mm wire [wire gauge 1 or 2?] directly from battery to the trunk and use it to feed a couple of 6V relais [relays] for headlights". I found this thread: Please check lighting relay plan

Or, maybe I'd have better luck with something like this:
Vintage Car LEDs ; VC6v – 7 INCH LED HEADLIGHT KIT

EDIT: From the instruction sheets that came with the wiring harness, it is a WK-143-6165, Wiring Harness Kit, 1961-65 Karmann Ghia Sedan and Convertible. It is available from several vendors. Supposed to replicate the original.

Last edited by carlk3 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

I put in the new dipper switch.
Measuring at the headlight terminals:
high beams: 4.39
low beams: 4.66

Then I put in the new trans. ground strap, taking time to clean everything I could with a rotary wire brush and some brake cleaner. Again at the headlight terminals:
high 4.44
low 4.73

I wasn't measuring in the exact same place as I was last time (as far as the ground connection), so there could be some error in comparison.

Looks like there was some improvement; around 6% on high beams. Not huge. I'm still losing about 1.5v (high beams) or 1.25v (low beams) between the battery terminals and the headlight terminals. Could this be as good as it gets? It didn't occur to me until I was done that I don't know the wattage of these replacement Sylvania incandescent sealed beams. (Do 6v sealed beams come in different wattages, or are they all the same?) Not sure I know any easy way to check unless there are some markings on the bulbs.

Where else should I look? I've already (recently) rebuilt and soldered the fuse block and headlight switch.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

I had headlight problems on my 6 volt '66 Beetle that gave me fits.
The problem turned out to be the terminal end of the heavy wire feeding the headlight switch (although it looked fine) that checked out okay with no load.
Resolved towards the end of the third page of the thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754541&highlight=
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I had headlight problems on my 6 volt '66 Beetle that gave me fits.
The problem turned out to be the terminal end of the heavy wire feeding the headlight switch (although it looked fine) that checked out okay with no load.
Resolved towards the end of the third page of the thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754541&highlight=

Thanks! On high beams (incandescent sealed beams) I'm seeing a drop from 5.88 at battery to 5.25 on the big red #30 at the headlight switch (a drop of 0.63v). I take it that is not normal?

Which end had the bad terminal? I tightened up the nut on the starter terminal 30 while I was under the car replacing the ground strap, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. Maybe I need to replace that crimped on terminal. Sounds like an ugly job. I hope there's a lot of slack in that wire there; I need a lot of elbow room with my Del City crimp tool. (I've already replaced the battery cable with a Del City 25" Battery Cable, 4 Ga Red).
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

In my case the resistance was at the "supply" end of the wire. That is, the spade terminal at the voltage regulator (regulator mounted atop the generator).
You might run a jumper directly from the positive battery post to the light switch
to see if that helps.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

I spent a whole day working on this, trying to do a really thorough job this time.

I clamped a long wire to the negative terminal of the battery for the COM probe of my voltmeter, and probed the whole path from battery to headlight terminal. (There is probably some voltage drop over the long wire, but it should be essentially the same for every measurement.) Conditions: engine off, high beams on. I figured that would give me the most stable reference, but there is the downside that the battery voltage slowly drops over time.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet that I used to record the results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS...FZ/pubhtml

There was an "Ah-ha!" moment when I was probing around the starter solenoid terminal 30. I stuck the point of my meter probe through the insulation on the big red wire to the headlight switch, and measured 5.55v compared to 5.95v on the stud. In the process, I grabbed the wire, and it was noticeably warm near the end. I also found a pretty big drop (0.31v) between the dipper (dimmer) switch terminal 56a and the fuse block. At around this point in my testing, I accidentally created a momentary short, and suddenly all the voltages jumped up by 1/4v or so. That's a problem with bad connections: they tend to be intermittent.

I cut the terminal off the big red #30 wire at the starter, and pried it apart. Oddly, there was no smoking gun. No heavy corrosion, or anything else noticeable to me. I didn't have a correct ring terminal to replace that one, so I decided to clean it up and solder it back on. (I also put some shrink wrap over it while I was at it.) That went so well that I decided to just solder the crimp connections on the wires to the dipper switch and on the fuse block ends of the 56a and 56b wires, without removing the terminals.

Then I went back and did the whole series of measurements again. (See the "After" tab of the spreadsheet.) There was definitely an improvement. Before, I had a 1.27v (22%) net drop from battery to headlight, although that was after the sparking incident, so it was probably worse before that (maybe 1.5v, but who knows, maybe even worse sometimes). After soldering, the drop is now 1.0v (17%). I went for a dark, icy test drive, and it looks like my problems are solved!

Last edited by carlk3 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

Good news
(like I said----electricity scares me)
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I soldered a few more connections. It occurred to me that the other end of the long red #30 wire might be somewhat responsible for the 0.38v drop I see at the headlight switch terminal 30. (In theory, I think the drop should be about 0.2v for the wire itself.) But, I didn't have time to measure the results.

I'm starting to suspect that my aftermarket WK-143-6165 wiring harness might be at end of life after ~15 years.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
Yesterday, I soldered a few more connections. It occurred to me that the other end of the long red #30 wire might be somewhat responsible for the 0.38v drop I see at the headlight switch terminal 30. (In theory, I think the drop should be about 0.2v for the wire itself.) But, I didn't have time to measure the results.

I'm starting to suspect that my aftermarket WK-143-6165 wiring harness might be at end of life after ~15 years.

Does copper wire "wear out" from use and/or age? Confused
Or is it a matter of the crimped on terminals loosing their connection with the wire?
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
carlk3 wrote:

Does copper wire "wear out" from use and/or age? Confused
Or is it a matter of the crimped on terminals loosing their connection with the wire?

Well, the original 1964 loom was in pretty horrible shape when I replaced that. Brittle, cracking insulation, oil soaked and dirt caked in places, corroded connectors, conductors that had broken or been repaired and gotten too short, or bypassed with speaker wire...

In this case I think it is a matter of the crimp connections failing, which is scary. Nowadays my Ghia lives in a garage in the semi-arid climate of the Colorado Front Range, and the harness in the car still looks great, despite its age. You can still identify the wires by the insulation color codes, and the connectors are still bright and shiny. Almost makes me wonder if there was some metallurgic problem with the wire or the connectors. But I don't know how long crimp connections (or Ghias in general!) were meant to last.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:

In this case I think it is a matter of the crimp connections failing, which is scary. Nowadays my Ghia lives in a garage in the semi-arid climate of the Colorado Front Range, and the harness in the car still looks great, despite its age. You can still identify the wires by the insulation color codes, and the connectors are still bright and shiny. Almost makes me wonder if there was some metallurgic problem with the wire or the connectors. But I don't know how long crimp connections (or Ghias in general!) were meant to last.

Interesting theory.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
I spent a whole day working on this, trying to do a really thorough job this time.

I clamped a long wire to the negative terminal of the battery for the COM probe of my voltmeter, and probed the whole path from battery to headlight terminal. (There is probably some voltage drop over the long wire, but it should be essentially the same for every measurement.) Conditions: engine off, high beams on. I figured that would give me the most stable reference, but there is the downside that the battery voltage slowly drops over time.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet that I used to record the results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS...FZ/pubhtml

There was an "Ah-ha!" moment when I was probing around the starter solenoid terminal 30. I stuck the point of my meter probe through the insulation on the big red wire to the headlight switch, and measured 5.55v compared to 5.95v on the stud. In the process, I grabbed the wire, and it was noticeably warm near the end. I also found a pretty big drop (0.31v) between the dipper (dimmer) switch terminal 56a and the fuse block. At around this point in my testing, I accidentally created a momentary short, and suddenly all the voltages jumped up by 1/4v or so. That's a problem with bad connections: they tend to be intermittent.

I cut the terminal off the big red #30 wire at the starter, and pried it apart. Oddly, there was no smoking gun. No heavy corrosion, or anything else noticeable to me. I didn't have a correct ring terminal to replace that one, so ...

A very interesting and good driven job!

I made the same, recording the drops on every connection.

I did not find the drop you noticed on the #30 wire.

But... are we talking about a 6V car with regulator mounted on top of the generator?

In this case the drop near the starter motor is not relevant.

The voltage, while engine is running, comes from the D+ terminal, then to the B+ of the regulator, then, via the 6mm red wire, to the headlight switch.

When engine is running, the path from battery to solenoid and from solenoid to regulator is only to recharge the battery.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Sealed Beams; How many filaments powered for high beams? Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:

A very interesting and good driven job!

Thanks. Half measures availed me nothing! It figures that the biggest problem that I found was in the place that's the hardest to measure, from the starter solenoid to the headlight switch.

herbie1200 wrote:

I made the same, recording the drops on every connection.

I did not find the drop you noticed on the #30 wire.

I figure the theoretical drop is about 0.2 V just from the resistance of the copper wire itself (20 A x .010 Ω), but I was seeing around twice that even after soldering the terminal on the wire at the solenoid end. Since then, I have soldered the terminal on the wire at the headlight switch end, too, but I haven't gotten around to retaking the measurement.

herbie1200 wrote:

But... are we talking about a 6V car with regulator mounted on top of the generator?

Yes.

herbie1200 wrote:

In this case the drop near the starter motor is not relevant.

The voltage, while engine is running, comes from the D+ terminal, then to the B+ of the regulator, then, via the 6mm red wire, to the headlight switch.

When engine is running, the path from battery to solenoid and from solenoid to regulator is only to recharge the battery.

The old Ghias are different:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: