Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with valve cover clearance.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yauchzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Need help with valve cover clearance. Reply with quote

I put my rebuilt engine in my 72 SB and I cannot remove the passenger side valve cover with engine in car. I purchased the car and immediately dropped engine for rebuild, so I did not see this coming. Put the engine back in and now I am noticing the metal brace between the apron and fender (I think?) is bent inwards towards engine. I am going to drop the engine out and try and correct the problem, but was hoping for some advice from bodywork people on how to do it. I have decided since I am dropping the engine anyways, I am also going to make the rear apron removable. I am thinking I will drop the engine, take off the fenders and work on getting the apron drilled off. Once that is done, I am hoping I will have plenty of workable area to bend the problem spot back.
Thoughts??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 Super Beetle Convertible
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs to be pulled
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
yauchzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a guy without a buch of equipment pull it out? All the ideas I have had I think would result in dragging the car sideways. I don't even want to mention the things I have thought of.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I had a similar problem when I welded a rear clip on my bug. Wasn't obvious until I tried to put the engine back in. I cut where the inner engine shelf was welded to the body so I could move the rest of the rear bumper bracket area. I took a 2 x 4 and a come-a-long and braced my car where I wanted the area to bend with the 2 x 4. I then connected the come-a-long a distance away from the braced area and started cranking until I got some good stress built up. I left it like that for a few days, checking on it every 4-5 hours and cranking a little more if the cable in the come-a-long started slacking. Once I moved the area out enough, I re-welded the engine shelf back to the body and the engine then cleared the seal area on the side by the cylinder tin. Hope this gives you some ideas. Your mileage may vary.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydraulic jacks , chains, come alongs, you should have or can get ,
SBS US #10
feedback on the shop : http://tinyurl.com/yc7jgkl

Welcome to he darkside, its lower here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
yauchzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I took the bumper off, took the apron off, took the fenders off and dropped the engine. Am still working on getting the apron back on as a removable apron.

To get the metal bent back out so I could take the valve cover off: I pulled my truck up beside the rear of the beetle. Tied a racheting strap around my truck tire and the hooked to the metal piece. I then racheted until it popped back out to where it should be. Worked great. Thanks for the advice on the pulling!

Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with valve cover clearance. Reply with quote

I have run into a similar problem - whilst installing my refurbed engine - it is no wider than stock, but the rocker covers are the wider, more square aluminium ones for high lift rockers. They touched some of the metal framework when installing the engine.

I have massaged it a bit and the engine is in .. but it is still very close.

I have not started the engine since it has been installed - Im guessing there will be a bit of a wobble/shake (as part of the engine running) and I dont want the engine (valve covers) to bash up against the body.

I am wondering - How much clearance do you need here? It is not something that I looked at closely before taking the engine out.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with valve cover clearance. Reply with quote

If you take a stock vw jack, remove the c-clip from the top of the shaft, you can slide a piece of black pipe over the shaft of the jack.
Put the base of the jack against the area you want to push out and a length of 2 x 4 on the other side of the engine compartment (to span a larger area).
Put a piece of black pipe between the jack and the 2 x 4 and jack away.

Poor Man's porta power!

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: