Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation Experiment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was with Lexus, we went to great lengths on soundproofing to achieve industry records for ambient noise levels in the interior. I didn't do the engineering on this but I remember studying the drawings and what they did and here's what I remember.

They found putting foam plugs in all the roof pillars was worth doing as they transmitted wind roar through essentially hollow steel tubes into the interior. A can of that expanding foam carefully used through a screw hole in each pillar might work. Just a tiny pffft as some of it expands greatly and you don't want it coming out every hole. Heh, getting a visual on that.

Also, foam plugs in the rocker panels. I'd also consider any hollow floorpan sections leading from the engine bay also for a foam plug. I'd definitely get some guidance on using a product that would not absorb moisture after it has cured, and also study the sections to be sure that VW did not design them to drain water from the body. Look for slit drains. This would be especially important to look for if you have a factory sunroof which usually has 4 drain tubes down roof pillars.

On the floor, the greatest benefit was on the firewall, the front seat floor and the rear seat floor where they used double walled sheetmetal with a visco layer between. I'd guess the only way you could duplicate that would be a layer that dampens vibrations but I couldn't guide you as to apply it on the outside or interior side but my suspicion is it does not matter for acoustics but may matter for corrosion potential with moisture (favoring the interior).

They also lined the outside of the wheel wells with a tarlike substance to absorb gravel/road debris sounds.

HTH,

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things that spectrum stuff blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and buy peel and stick!!!

I also put spectrum in my van I had it in my van for 2 years. it took me a week to install all of it because of the dry times. you need at minimum 4 coats i did 6 and I cleaned everything then used paint degrease to clean all the panels and floor before I installed it.

I put everything back together and it did a pretty good job but then i went to pull a door panel and it had started peeling i was pretty bummed. I talked to the manufacture and they said that it must have been greasy before I put it on so it was my fault. I did more prep then the instructions required and I wiped it down with degreaser.

Its to hard to install

It takes lots of time to install

One 12x12 piece of B- quite from ebay does the exact same thing for the same price and I could of been done in a day

I cant believe they say you can use it as an under coating

Dont buy!!

mas
1964 vespa vbb 150
1973 vespa sprint
2005 toyota tacoma Ole reliable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a measurement microphone on the cheap, I would recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ECM8000-Condenser-Microphone-Omni/dp/B000HT4RSA
You want a mic that has a really flat frequency response for this type of applicatoin.

Then get a USB computer interface, like this for example:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QZ402Q/ref=pd...7Q47YDS2NZ

and the RTA software...
and then you'll see what's happening across all frequencies in live time!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've had the Spectrum in my wheel wells for a couple years and probably 20K+ miles now - no peeling, flaking or chipping yet. Good stuff.

I really appreciate IdahoDoug's comments on this, nice to hear from someone with genuine auto design and manufacturing experience. I've always wondered what they did with the Lexus to make it so quiet.

As for sound deadening, I think there are good and better options available. I think it's important to point out that many only place the vibration dampener, often more than required, and expect to cut a lot of road noise. I too have done this, and stopped short of adding a sound barrier over the vibration dampener. If I do this again on another vehicle I'll do things a bit differently using less dampener and focus more on sound barriers. It would be nice to see someone record the differences using vibration dampener only versus a dampener and sound absorber together.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We were so meticulous on the Lexus models that even the different reflective acoustics of a leather interior vs cloth were taken into consideration. The audio systems that went into the cloth models had a different initial bass/mid/treble and other factors vs the leather systems. Incredible detailing. When you changed from AM to FM the power antenna shortened itself to be closer to the ideal length. And when you changed from one side of the frequency to the other, it also changed. Window tints were different for the grey vs tan interiors. They were enormously expensive to build and that's why you'll see the original generation of LS400s on the street for decades. Kinda like the pre-92 Mercedes S class beasts will too.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
EvilDNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man John, I thought I had projects. I also second the Peel N Seal from Lowes or HD. Basically roofing flashing. I did my entire MV in FatMat, but ran out and finished up with Peel N Seal. I couldn't tell the difference at all. No smells and no off gassing that I could perceive.

Needless to say, HUGE difference. If the paint on stuff is better, I can't imagine it being so much so that it would negate the ease and simplicity of the Peel N Seal. Anything with paint sucks because the prep sucks and the cleanup sucks.

I'm doing a buddy's 88 Wolfsburg as we have time and it's minimal prep, really no cleanup to speak of. We'll do a roll when we have time and come back later for more. The flexibility and ease of install of the peel and stick stuff, to me, trump a few dB's.

As a note, however, don't do it in the dead of winter. I had to use a hair dryer to really get it pliable. This current install is MUCH simpler.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things that I've read here called my attention.

Using recycled denim material and on a different post, using expandable foam in a can. I believe both of these materials retain moisture, bad if you care about rust.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Two things that I've read here called my attention.

Using recycled denim material and on a different post, using expandable foam in a can. I believe both of these materials retain moisture, bad if you care about rust.

Both are rust magnets!!!
Steer clear.

Wurth makes an excellent foam for cavities and pillars.
It is used in new Ford F-150 front pillars.
This 2 part foam needs a special tool to be applied.
I have it in the pneumatic version, costly.
The manual version is about $75.
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent reference site: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

mass loaded vinyl after application of dampener pads is the way to go to keep sound out of the interior. I think this material is only practical on the floor of the van but that has to be where the majority of road noise is coming from, especially around the front wheels.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the 'showdown' URL to be of limited usefulness because of methodology - or lack thereof.

This thread has a bit different focus, and never really went too far (yet) but it might be helpful to some...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technic...ost4019432
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the first comparison data taken for analysis. For this I performed two tests on the right rear panel section. The first with the mic outside the van (6") and the source 4' from the van (and 4' off the ground as well), and the second with the mic centered on the back seat (source in the same position).

I used a full spectrum audio test for this (http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-200.php - Logarithmic). I will use other sounds as well, but I am wondering, is this data useful? I can see the results, but I don't understand this enough to recognize if this data will be useful. It appears that I am recording decibel level at different frequencies which I like. Who knows if it is accurate enough to show a few decibels in reduction. Perhaps that sound file is unrealistic in measuring real world sounds? I dunno Yo! But my new mic is pretty cool. It takes two people to do these tests so I gotta rustle up a neighbor kid and pay him a couple of bucks. More tonight if this is all a go, lemme know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
I find the 'showdown' URL to be of limited usefulness because of methodology - or lack thereof.

This thread has a bit different focus, and never really went too far (yet) but it might be helpful to some...

Is that your thready Randy? That was a great read. Mostly intelligent thoughts and comments from everyone, and I thought it was spot on for what I am trying to achieve, but where did it all lead? It gave me some ideas on combining products, and definitely spoke to Doug's comments on sealing tunnels and other sound amplifiers. I will say I am not going to try to let the sound of the failing PS pump to come through, but I love that attention to detail. I actually considered that for like 10 seconds a few months ago, but (for once) realized that was entirely to awesome for my means. Multiple sound arguments for the micro bead product, so I am still pretty confident in the first layer I will lay down (the Spectrum Visco). I can definitely see a couple of different products in other places, like the firewall, inside panels and floor and beams. A client of mine shoots a common Icynene-type home insulation product, and they have offered to shoot the excess from a job wherever I like. It is an expanding open cell, so I am guessing this may be a great option for tunnels in the van, wherever they may be.

Last edited by Classicvibe on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I started it - not sure where it all leads...

it is not hard to make a signif. improvement, esp. if you are rel. unconcerned about added wt. (Vanagon)
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
yes, I started it - not sure where it all leads...

it is not hard to make a signif. improvement, esp. if you are rel. unconcerned about added wt. (Vanagon)

Yes, when you have few requirements, everything is a potential solution, and ironically it is difficult to find the correct product. My clients are always asking me for the "solution" and I respond by telling them that you don't hire me to find your solution, you hire me to find out what the question is. Once you have a specific question, the solution is usually pretty easy to find.

A note on the Blue Jean insulation: The company boasts that the product is saturated in some anti-moisture solution. They have a really generic claim about this stuff:

Will mold and pests affect UltraTouch?
    The fire retardant used in making UltraTouch also acts as an excellent pest, mold and mildew inhibitor.

and

What happens when UltraTouch gets wet?
    UltraTouch is manufactured to breathe or accept and release the moisture it receives in a timely manner. UltraTouch also contains active mold inhibitors as well.

Anyway, yes, it is obvious that cotton can hold moisture, but does anyone actually know if the Blue Jeans holds, say, more or less moisture than fiberglass or any other thermal insulation? The sound deadening properties of the product are outstanding IMO. I used it is my home theater and it is pretty cool.

Look at these animations on the Icynene product. This will get you thinking about cold weather camping, and using that a/c unit...

http://www.icynene.com/moisture-transfer-animation-2/

On another note I just spent the last hour finding an environmentally friendly blasting product, and I found success with 2 x 100 pound bags of something (forgot the name). When it stops raining I have all the tools in place now to bust out this entire job, aside from a few last selections for thermal and firewaill. Very excited. The testing I can see is going to hold me back. Really have to find a sound engineer to help sort all this out.

a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the peel and stick from Master Mccarr. It was 16.00 for a 32x54 sheet. I used it on the inside of cnc milling machines to keep the sheetmetal from howling.
They also sell the "slug" stuff and the foild back closed foam stuff as well.

Do you have any noise numers yet? Im really intrested in the level at freeway speed.

Keep up the good work

jcl
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

The sounddeadenershowdown site is very different than it used to be. When he first started it, it was a comparison of a whole bunch of different CLD-type materials (Dynamat, FatMat, Peel-n-Seal, etc.) and there was much more methodology. Later he figured out that coating the entire interior with that stuff is not the best way to go, and sought out the right kinds of materials.

Pretty much all of the high-end automotive acoustic management vendors sell the same basic set of products now, sounddeadendershowdown just sells fairly generic versions without hype or excessive markup. He doesn't carry any of the viscoelastic dampener liquids, but the CLD tiles do the same thing, just through a different physical mechanism.

Basically there are three types of sound control mechanisms you can introduce: sound transmission barriers (measured by STC, sound transmission coefficient), sound absorption materials (measured by NRC, noise reduction coefficient), and vibration dampeners (measured by CLF, composite loss factor). They all do different things, and so you would have to target their uses to the noise sources you're trying to eliminate.

If you're hoping for light weight sound reduction, you'll be limited to sound absorption (generally through thick, lightweight open-cell materials) and viscoelastic-style dampening material. Sound transmission barriers rely on an unbroken layer of massive material to block sound transmission (think lead sheeting, mass-loaded-vinyl, etc.), and so their usefulness drops as their weight decreases. The mass law that governs non-rigid barriers states that every doubling of the mass will produce a 6db drop in sound transmission through it.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I sent the sounddeadendershowdown guy an Email about a month ago with no response, so...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: