Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Manual tranny question 3/4 slider
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: 84 Manual tranny question 3/4 slider Reply with quote

Do the 84 vanagons with manual transmissions have the same 3/4 slider issues that I've read about here?
Butters is an automatic, but we had so much fun working n it that we're thinking of doing another one next winter for a project... the one we're considering is an 84 with a manual transmission.
thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 84 transmission will have been rebuilt by now, so unless the one you are looking at is pretty low mileage, the slider shouldn't be that much of an issue.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.

But the exact statics about mileage are not to be counted on. Unless you know for sure you can not say any issue is any particular thing until you check it out. Shifting issues can be all sorts of things. My last case I knew for sure it was 3/4 related, but it had the uprated part already and many other parts worn at 200K. That was only found at tear down. Now I have many after market bullet proof parts installed. We'll see how it works out.

The automatics are less prone to failure. But the stick shift seems to offer a better driving experience, IMHO.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Most 84 transmission will have been rebuilt by now...

Unless, like me, they just dropped in a used unit. Only with the advent of the internet & AATransaxles did I finally do it right and install an updated rebuild.

So yes, 84s can experience this though its not the end of the world. Negotiate with that possibility in mind.
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-- yep I know it's not the end of the world, but need to factor that in as a possibility-- Looks like that one's not going to pan out, so that's ok.
thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With luck a 3-4 shifter is going to give you a bit of warning. It is going to become harder to shift as the cracks begin to first show up. Most people are just going to put a bit more force on it to get it out of gear, but the wary will have enough warning to get it home and park it or get it to a place where it can be serviced.

I felt the 3-4 shifter start to feel funny in my 091 about 400 miles from home. That was the end of any side trips or pedal to the metal driving. Stopped once for gas and avoided any unnecessary shifting, and took the steeper hills in 2nd when I could have used 3rd. Once home the transmission got pulled, no messing around.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
With luck a 3-4 shifter is going to give you a bit of warning...

Or it may explode at just the right (wrong) moment under acceleration. I've seen that.

Yes; good luck!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PURE luck!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: