Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Bumper mount repair.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Rear Bumper mount repair. Reply with quote

Both rear mounts on my 63 need to be replaced. Every repair panel that I have seen is a pretty big panel. The only part of mine is from the bumper mount down. My question is can I just replace the mount and the metal behind it. Or do I need to use a big panel for the repair. If you have done this repair I'd appreciate it if you'd respond.

Geoff
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about these repair panels?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I replaced both sides on my car with these and is wasn't that much to cut-out and weld on. I suppose you could use only what you wanted to from the repair piece and make the repair as small as you wanted. I was of the mind set, the more new solid steel the better as both sides of my car were pretty gone in that area.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats the panel, but for a 63

Geoff
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettlenut would you please tell me about the removal and installation of the panel. Especially type of weld and finish

Geoff
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the rear fender as a guide on the fitment. I measured the replacement panel, transfered that measurement onto the car. Cut off the old metal from the car, leaving about two inches of the old metal as an overlap. I then bolted the replacement piece to the fender, lining up the fender mounting holes of the replacement piece with their respective fender holes. Then I traced the edge of the new replacement piece onto the old metal, and cut the rest of the old metal on that line. I then tacked the new panel in place, removed the fender, and finished welding in the replacement panel. That way the fender mated up with the mounting holes of the new panel. There are other pics in my gallery.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: