Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wrecked while towing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: wrecked while towing Reply with quote

I was driving back from the Texas VW Classic towing my oval with a tow bar in the slow lane heading East on Hwy 290 back to Austin. A couple pulled out from a side street on the other side of the road into my lane directly at my truck. I had no choice but to go off the road to avoid hitting them. My bug fishtailed behind me as I drove straight toward a highway sign. I managed to miss the sign by inches with my truck but the left rear fender of my bug and bumper hit it. Once past the sign I went up the embankment and ran into a steel fence pole, took out a section of barb wire fence, and damaged the front of my truck. The force pulled the rear of my truck forward and wedged my bug up under my truck. The couple that ran me off the road slowed down, then left the scene. Two vehicles behind me stopped to check on me then one took off after the car that fled. They came back shortly with their license plate number and description of the car. Both vehicles agreed to be witnesses and gave me their contact information. I called 911 and a state trooper came shortly after. I provided the info to him and within 15 minutes the car was located. The trooper left to talk to that car and the lady that was driving didn't deny it was her and said that she thought she had enough room to pull out. I'll have to get a full report from the DPS office to see what happened with that other car exactly when the trooper talked to them. I have no idea if they were ticketed for failing to render aid or for running me off the road.

My bug was wedged tight under my truck. While taking the tow bar off I cut my hand pretty bad on the broken glass from the headlamp. The grass on the side of the highway was thick and I didn't see the glass when I put my hand down. Fellow Austin Aircooler Mark and his family were one of the first cars to stop and ask if I needed help. I was going to have a tow truck come so I told I didn't need anymore help. Shortly after another guy from Beaumont (Jerel, I believe) that was selling at the swap meet stopped. Along with another local Fireman and his wife. With their help I was able to get my bug out from under my truck and back on the road to tow it home. My hand was cut really deep and bleeding bad, but I just wanted to get my bug back home. Without the help from Jerel and the Fireman there is no way I would have been able to get my bug home. I went to the hospital around 9pm and got a tetanus shot and x-rays to make sure there wasn't any glass left in my hand and to make sure the tendons weren't cut. I got 3 stitches and should recover fairly quickly.

I need to call my insurance this morning to get a claim started. I hope that old couple was insured. I have my own insurance for my bug but I am going to do everything in my power to make them pay for everything. Beyond getting my truck and car fixed, I have to repair the farmers fence too. That old farmer was super pissed about his fence. I assured him that it'll get fixed and talked to him for a while to get him to calm down.

It could have been a lot worse. I am happy to be alive. My hand, my truck, and my car can all be fixed. I am trying to look at the positive side and hope to use this as an opportunity to make my oval window look even better.

Here are the pictures:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That REALLY sucks!

Sometimes it doesn't help to try to avoid things. I know folks who tried to avoid critters in the road only to try to move a tree.

Good luck! It sounds as if you have a long battle ahead of you.
steven.hay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total bummer, but glad you are ok!
Sketchy_1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked while towing Reply with quote

billb wrote:

It could have been a lot worse. I am happy to be alive. My hand, my truck, and my car can all be fixed. I am trying to look at the positive side and hope to use this as an opportunity to make my oval window look even better.

Unfortunate that this happened, but what a great attitude towards the whole event. Applause Good to see some decent folks out there doing the right thing when others choose not to and have to be chased down.
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer man! Glad everyone was ok. Good luck with it.
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about your worst nightmare! Im glad to hear you are ok, like you said your oval and your truck can be fixed, but man, I would be completely crushed. I think your positive attitude will get you far in this situation. Its a good thing that the bystanders were able to get the license number of the other vehicle. I hope not only your insurance company, but theirs will come through for you and make things right. Keep us posted on how things progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that sucks. glad your alright
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
mcelhaney14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks big time. Glad to hear you made it out alright. At least on the oval it looks like all the damage is isolated to unboltable parts.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, that sucks!

If you need any past ads off the site to help with values, etc. for the insurance, email me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KäferKrieger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a good man,
I'd drive a linear impact into that old farts rear bumper absorber.

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked while towing Reply with quote

Sketchy_1 wrote:
billb wrote:

Unfortunate that this happened, but what a great attitude towards the whole event. Applause Good to see some decent folks out there doing the right thing when others choose not to and have to be chased down.

that Texas for you! some people run you off the road, others help you back onto it

glad you're ok, car looks like it was only bolt on items that were hurt
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man this is sad to see.. Im glad your ok.. My personal opinion is i would never tow a car that nice with a tow bar but that is beside the point.. Its nice to see your attitude toward this situation and because of that i bet you will have this car fixed and like you said itl be even better.. good luck with the ins company..
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first of all, I'm glad you're ok. But aside from that.....this sucks!! What a bummer. It's good to see your attitude towards it and hopefully it all works out. Your oval is a sweetheart! Lookin' forward to see it comin' back together.
69vduber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your ok. Like your car. I saw it at the classic.
my03yellowv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your Vw..If you did that nice of a job with it I am sure you can get it back to the way it was.. How do you like your Frontier? I had an extra cab Desert Runner besides the looks I hated that truck Gas mileage was terrible and always had problems with it the color was also Yellow so the truck was really a lemon lol.
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my03yellowv wrote:
Love your Vw..If you did that nice of a job with it I am sure you can get it back to the way it was.. How do you like your Frontier? I had an extra cab Desert Runner besides the looks I hated that truck Gas mileage was terrible and always had problems with it the color was also Yellow so the truck was really a lemon lol.

Thanks. It will only be a matter of time before my car looks better than ever.

The Nissan has been good, but the gas mileage sucks. I got a great deal on it but I had been planning on selling it sometime soon anyway. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need an Audi S4 Wagon to haul groceries and our 18 month old twins in.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're ok, and the car looks repairable too. I saw it parked over by our campsite (VOSA-San Antonio) this weekend and was impressed with the work put into it. Hope it gets fixed quickly.
I lost my '69 vert last month in a crash, it was totaled Crying or Very sad . Luckily for me, my ins. co. had a check in my hands in 3weeks. Very Happy
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KäferKrieger wrote:
You're a good man,
I'd drive a linear impact into that old farts rear bumper absorber.

Kafer where can one find this bumper guard?
and it sucks about your weekend....sorry about all the problems

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are okay, the way the rear fender is creased looks like it was made that way.
keep us posted on the rebuild

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be nice to the insurance guys. they owe you the value of your loss. not what they think it is worth. that sucks more than words, but glad you are okay. next time just hit the guy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: