Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reproduction parts warning
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reproduction parts warning Reply with quote

I discovered the latest repro road draft tube drain boot or breather tube boot that CIP is selling dosen't have the end slit like it should, also the part is thinner and lacks the internal lug that goes into the hole on the side of the breather tube to retain it. Not a high dollar part but it could mess up an engine if installed directly out of the bag. IDK if other sell the same item but I thought a warning was in order.
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D311%2D541
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: pic robbed from Wolfsburg west and may not be from the same manufacturer.
Email sent to CIP, we'll see what they say.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one over the winter and cut a slit in it. I'd imagine more ppl are not even running that than running the repop one.

Would it hurt to not run one?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

durfeec wrote:
Would it hurt to not run one?

Without it your engine sucks in any dust and crap that's flying around under the bus (assuming the tube off the oil filler is connected to the stock aircleaner).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. bought one at a show because i needed one. after much ridicule from vwpieces and hazetguy, i got the real deal NOS one from hazetguy. a zip tie and a slit did do the trick on the crappy one (which is better than none if thats all you have)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I wonder if this relates in any way to the exceptionally large amount of milky oil / milkshake in my oil cap threads this winter?
If that cheapo boot didn't drain the engine couldn't shed it's condensate from the oil, or if there was no boot in place the air cleaner would be drawing air solely through the draft tube bypassing the crankcase completely, another cause of condensate buildup.

Those shmartypants German engineers gave that oil filler some serious lab coat/pocket protector/slide rule thought, it's a thin metal chamber exposed to the cold incoming cooling air on it's way to the fan when you're driving down the road, the crankcase gasses are drawn out of the case via the flow through the crank pulley and pass through the outer chamber of the filler assembly to condense out the water on the cool metal shell then dripping away down the draft tube and out that slit.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the later 74+ type 1 breather but I'm sure the larger hose diameter and hotter running smog engine were capable of shedding condensation in the oil in some other way, I've learned to wait until the answer presents itself because there's always a reason for a certain way VW did things, you just have to find it sometimes.

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - I have seen that even in the 1970's with ones bought straight from the dealer. That is why there is so much corrosion inside the generator towers.
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could somebody please tell me where this part is or post a pictures....im getting the same milkshake residue in my oil filler neck and cap as welll....could this be my problem??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outrun1984 wrote:
could somebody please tell me where this part is or post a pictures....

See my first post, it's on the drain for the filler but this really only applies to type 1's.

I suspect it could partially contribute to milky oil but the main causes are lack of a thermostat, short drives involving no highway burns, thick viscosity oil and possibly alcohol additives in the fuel absorbing (adsorbing?) moisture. If the oil doesn't reach 180-220 degrees for a while the water in it can't boil off, the result is whitish in color.

It seemed to me there were more than the usual number of goo in the oil cap threads this year, seemingly less why doesn't my heat work ones too, strange...... maybe it's just me?

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
outrun1984 wrote:
could somebody please tell me where this part is or post a pictures....

See my first post, it's on the drain for the filler but this really only applies to type 1's.

I suspect it could partially contribute to milky oil but the main causes are lack of a thermostat, short drives involving no highway burns, thick viscosity oil and possibly alcohol additives in the fuel absorbing (adsorbing?) moisture. If the oil doesn't reach 180-220 degrees for a while the water in it can't boil off, the result is whitish in color.

It seemed to me there were more than the usual number of goo in the oil cap threads this year, seemingly less why doesn't my heat work ones too, strange...... maybe it's just me?

We had a really cool and damp winter here in Sacramento. Almost 200% normal precp in northern CA. Were you wetter and colder than normal? My 1971 used to get that ick even from freeway driving because the cap and stand is in the way of cooling air coming down from above. I guess one could insulate the outside of the cap.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ran into one of those non slit road draft tube boots. And it wasn't from CIP since I don't/won't deal with them.
Actually, it's not much different than about any part you buy from about any source. Know what the part is supposed to do and carefully inspect it. That particular part is a simple check valve. Unfortunately pretty much any and every part needs some amount of massaging, and at least inspection.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Mr.Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Mexi wrote:
chabanais wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Holy shit, I near spit my beer on my laptop.....thats a good one........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boot from WW had the slit in it..
outrun1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep colder than normal, tons of snow, lots of sitting..oil only got to temp like 3 times since Christmas.......long road trip coming up tho lots of highway miles....and hill climbs......that milky stuff should burn off i assume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing has got me thinking!! From this forum,I have learned so much about how VW designed e v e r y t h i n g for a purpose,and have changed stuff on my engine to get it as stock as possible.Now - I'll have to get one of these fitted!!.. I havn't got one or ever seen one on any of my engines - which is really not good!

From the description, I can see what it does but I can't see how it does it! Its obviously not just a straight rubber tube,as that would simply be an extention of the pipe and not make a difference.
So, is there a valve or something in the end that stops the crap getting sucked in? how does it work?

Heritage have them on this side of the pond...
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_45843_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

Cheers - Rob

p.s. you guys cost me money - but I love it!
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this I went out and checked the boot (on my buggy engine) I purchased from CIP1 about 2 years ago. Slit was there!! So maybe a different supplier from who knows where.

I often wonder whether any quality control is done on the supply side or rather the business plan is to let the end user perform the function. I'll be interested to hear what CIP1 has to say.

On the weather front I live about 15km north of busdaddy as the crow flies. We have a federal gov't. weather station here and so far in April we have seen 1 day where the daily high temp. met the historical monthly average. Temps are 4-5 degrees C. below normal. It has been cold and wet since Sept. last year.

No milky residue in the oil filler cap area for either the 73 beetle or 79 van which are driven year round. Sure helps to use a lighter grade oil though. I always try to drive at least 20 km per trip as well.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outrun1984 wrote:
could somebody please tell me where this part is or post a pictures....im getting the same milkshake residue in my oil filler neck and cap as welll....could this be my problem??

No only do you not have this tube, you don't need it in your Type engine. Drive that bus about 20 miles on the highway at highway speeds, turn abround and then drive it back. The engine oil temps should be adequate to make the water in the oil evaporate off as it should. Short trips (oil not getting to 180º or better) is what causes the problem.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two things i have seen on every reproduction boot:
-the slit is too small or non-existent
-the rubber nub on the inside that holds the boot to the metal tube is too small or non-existent.
and most of the reproductions i have seen are made out of rubber that is too stiff.

the ultra-crappy reproductions make the NOS Genuine VW ones i sell for $5 look like a great deal!
vdubzen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't want to do a transaction in the page, sorry. taken to PM.
74 beetle

current reigning president, albuquerque air alliance / rt 66 air-cooled vw club

Look for us on Facebook
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: