Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SA grille discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I love my south african lights.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is that the Balboa ferry?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
MichaelRpdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
I think it's an improvement over the square headlight versions for sure but that's certainly a matter of opinion.

That's only a matter of opinion for those that haven't compared the lighting quality between square and SA. Anyone that has seen the difference knows the fact of the SA being a huge improvement.

With my square headlights in city driving I only knew if they were on or off when people flashed me to warn of headlights off.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one manufacturer of the grill, so you'll get the same grill no matter where you buy it. They quality control is so-so and minor cosmetic blemishes are not uncommon. We have had to reject one or two because they had significant cosmetic flaws.

At one time some other vendors were including cheap aftermarket inner lights instead of the correct VW/Hella ones. To my knowledge that is not currently the case. Some other vendors have also included black emblems instead of the correct chrome ones here and there. Again, I'm not sure if that is the case anymore.

Of course we are the only ones who provide the good Bosch H4 headlights. The other vendors include no outer lights at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Is that the Balboa ferry?

it sure is
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
Again, has anyone else had issues with water/condensation on the inside of the inner lights? Hoping my experience is an exception to the norm. Not super excited about spending the $$ needed to replace both inners, and am hoping that the next set will be better sealed than the last.

Otherwise, I agree with all who have posted about the durability of the grill itself - 8 years an no issues, and I've pulled it off and on dozens of times.

One of mine is doing that, the other is fine. I bought real German Hella Cabriolet lights to replace them. The ones we got with the grille have a Chinese vibe to them. I got mine in the Great SA Group Buy orgy a few years ago... Plastic is holding up great.
I wanted to experiment with early-90s BMW projector lights, but the mount cavity is way too shallow on the driver's side to accomodate one because of that big channel that runs up behind the light... the pass. side has plenty of room. Sad

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axeman
Did you build that light bar? It looks awesome and really fits well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd resurrect this post
It popped up as part of a search, on SA headlights
I will be picking over a 80 mk1 scirocco tomorrow am.
Mostly because I'm interested in the 4round headlights, grill, relays and switches....
can't find anything saying if they 'll work on a vanagon or not
does anyone have an opinion ..and what else should I look to grabbing before this car is crushed? Crying or Very sad
thanks all opinions welcome
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
I thought I'd resurrect this post
It popped up as part of a search, on SA headlights
I will be picking over a 80 mk1 scirocco tomorrow am.
Mostly because I'm interested in the 4round headlights, grill, relays and switches....
can't find anything saying if they 'll work on a vanagon or not
does anyone have an opinion ..and what else should I look to grabbing before this car is crushed? Crying or Very sad
thanks all opinions welcome

I used to be into Sciroccos and while many parts should be saved from it before the crusher, I don't think it has anything of value for the Vanagon. The lights are almost certainly old sealed beams, they won't be relayed unless a PO did it, and the grill won't fit the Vanagon either of course.

FYI the most valuable parts from that car will be from the interior... most had special steering wheels(called Wolfsburg wheels), shift knobs, and the center console is also valuable. You will need a 24mm socket and probably a 3" ratchet extension thing to get the steering wheel. These parts are valuable to both Scirocco and Rabbit owners, and the steering wheel would fit a Vanagon. If the dash isn't cracked it'd be a real find. Sorry getting OT from Vanagons here...

-Rob

-Rob
axeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
axeman

only just read this so sorry for the delay i responce, the light bar was made by a local costom exhaust fabrecator., it is bolted through the deform panel and the mounts for the lights were made of some box section that was cut in half at 45 degrees. it is very strong, and most inportantly the lights don not vibrate,

if you want any more pics let me know.

neil
1987 syncro westy was 1.6 jx now ej22
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Some other vendors have also included black emblems instead of the correct chrome ones here and there. Again, I'm not sure if that is the case anymore.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a black emblem the chrome ones don't last. Our chrome one lasted two summers (garaged all the time) before the chrome started deteriorating. It's black now after a quick bead blasting and rattle can semigloss black painting.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axeman wrote:
K58 wrote:
axeman

only just read this so sorry for the delay i responce, the light bar was made by a local costom exhaust fabrecator., it is bolted through the deform panel and the mounts for the lights were made of some box section that was cut in half at 45 degrees. it is very strong, and most inportantly the lights don not vibrate,

if you want any more pics let me know.

neil

Yes please, more pics!
I have a very similar thing in mind and would like to see how you did yours.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
axeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the light bar

the tabs for the lights to bolt too. i made these from box section steel the a cut in half at a 45 degree angle and then welded them to the bar.

this was the hard bit working out the angle of cut the bar so that it would sit forward enough so that the spot lights would not touch the grill, the grill i had on the van sits further forward than standard grill by about 14mm. there is also a a stud which is welded in to the bar for the mounting it to van. form memory is was m12X1.5 (19mm nut) i then mounted into the deform panel as this gives it a real strong and secure base.

if any one is interested in the bar is for sale as it is sitting in the garage doing nothing and i am a firm believer that thing should be used and not just stored away doing nothing.

thanks neil
1987 syncro westy was 1.6 jx now ej22
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
....Maybe this would make him happy. This is an '86 I put the old syle grill in and cut my own holes then put in aftermarket fog lights. This picture is from one of the Terryville CT. shows if anyone here goes to them.

I was thinking on doing this since I have several pre-'86 grills that could be cut.
I had a SA on my '85 and loved the looks and the performance, now I drive an '87 and after i replaced the broken adjusters, installed HO light and relays, works great, but there's something about the the round lights, that does it for me
[/quote]

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
soundmasterg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
I also put the H4 lights in place of the sealed beams. Busdepot has a great price on these.

Yes, we have a half price deal on Bosch H4 headlights. They're just $45 a pair (regularly $45 each) by themselves. However they're even cheaper if you buy them with the South African grill kit. You can add the Bosch H4 headlights PLUS a pair of German H4 bulbs for only $30 combined, which is an absolute steal.

Complete South African Grill Kit plus Bosch H4's and bulbs:
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=1495

Bosch H4's only:
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

How long is that sale going on?

Greg
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axeman wrote:
the light bar
...images...

if any one is interested in the bar is for sale as it is sitting in the garage doing nothing and i am a firm believer that thing should be used and not just stored away doing nothing.

thanks neil

Thanks for the pics Neil!
Wish it were a little larger diameter or I'd be all over it; sort of the look I'm going for.
Cheers.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
badassdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have pics with the SA grill off? I need to see how the inner lights mount. Searched everywhere and found none.
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badassdubs wrote:
Anyone have pics with the SA grill off? I need to see how the inner lights mount. Searched everywhere and found none.

Here you go...

Brent
badassdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Your's must be the first one posted ever. Laughing
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Tab needed for SA Grill? Reply with quote

Yes, the post with the grill off starts to help answer this question for me too. Does the SA grill need this tab below to mount on?

My Body Shop is about to paint my 1984 Doka and the PO had it fitted for the square, later Vanagon headlights. I do have plans to upgrade to the SA grill and lights, but was putting it off due to limited money reserves; however I may be forced to make that decision sooner, as the body shop wants to know if they should bend that tab back prior to painting?

Obviously I do not need that tab for square headlights, but do I need it to mount the SA Grill? I do not want to have to bend it after painting as the paint will crack. It will also force me to find another $400 for this project.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=1984+doka

Thanks

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tab needed for SA Grill? Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
Yes, the post with the grill off starts to help answer this question for me too. Does the SA grill need this tab below to mount on?

My Body Shop is about to paint my 1984 Doka and the PO had it fitted for the square, later Vanagon headlights. I do have plans to upgrade to the SA grill and lights, but was putting it off due to limited money reserves; however I may be forced to make that decision sooner, as the body shop wants to know if they should bend that tab back prior to painting?

Obviously I do not need that tab for square headlights, but do I need it to mount the SA Grill? I do not want to have to bend it after painting as the paint will crack. It will also force me to find another $400 for this project.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=1984+doka

Thanks

you can mount with out those tabs but will loose two of the five mounting points.
I swapped from square to round lights on my 87 Syncro, and ended up just cutting those tabs off a wrecked van and attached them to my van with self tapping screws, you can barely see them. (yes I'm getting rid of those crappy rectangular driving lights on the light bar)

you can check this post for other options
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=504430

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: