Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ianstone
Samba Member


Joined: September 14, 2005
Posts: 194
Location: San Francisco, CA
ianstone is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

Hey all,
Looking for a bit of advice. Finally taking the plunge and having a gowesty engine installed. After dealing with an internal headgasket leak, even though the engine only has 73000 on it, I decided a new engine was the best route.
I've already done the entire cooling system, radiator, fuel lines, rebuilt german transaxle, among many other things.
Since i had so much invested into it, i thought the block really was the last thing that needed to be redone and is really the reason i opted to go the WBX route instead of subaru or zetec.

I know, I know. I should have gotten a 10cent motor. Please, spare me...

I'm not a mechanic and no way could i even come close to attempting an engine swap, and i don't know anyone local i can trust. Unfortunately, i'm no wrencher - i just love driving my westy and want it to be more reliable.


So my van is now at gowesty, and what I was afraid of is reality - i need a new exhaust system. Bummer. This will add about 1300 to my final bill... so it puts me in a tight spot financially if i go with the 2300. The 2300 was my original plan.

Now i am considering the 2200 due to the cost savings and due to the fact that i can still run 87 octane fuel.

Can anyone here lend some advice as to which route you would go? the 2300 vs 2200.

thanks.
ian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Westcycle
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2008
Posts: 9
Location: San Francisco
Westcycle is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

Hey back, I installed a GW 2.3 couple years back I really like the power boost (from a 1.9 w/ 125k miles) and runs great. I always run 89 octane. I'd say if 87 octane is a must for you than go w/ the 2.2 just to avoid pre-ign. possibilities. I would also highly advise an external oil cooler (see 10cent- Very Happy ), once installed my oil psi was up about 10lbs across the board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member


Joined: September 14, 2005
Posts: 194
Location: San Francisco, CA
ianstone is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

Westcycle wrote:
Hey back, I installed a GW 2.3 couple years back I really like the power boost (from a 1.9 w/ 125k miles) and runs great. I always run 89 octane. I'd say if 87 octane is a must for you than go w/ the 2.2 just to avoid pre-ign. possibilities. I would also highly advise an external oil cooler (see 10cent- Very Happy ), once installed my oil psi was up about 10lbs across the board.


thanks. go westy suggested that but they are out of stock.

any suggestions on where i can get one locally in the bay area, and who will install it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member


Joined: October 23, 2007
Posts: 731
Location: Cool California
Jedi is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I have the Gowesty 2.2L and very happy. Personally I love it and I feel it is enough power for the type of driving I do (Mountain) In the mountains I tend to do a lot of up hill in 3rd for long periods of time. I use a Taleer 3rd and 4th gear for lower RPM's.65 MPH at 3000rpm I run 91 octane and feel that if I had a larger engine I would use more fuel than needed to get the job done. I hope this helps. VW Logo
_________________
1961 Westfalia SO34 T/BW
1961 Westfalia SO34 SWR
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member


Joined: September 14, 2005
Posts: 194
Location: San Francisco, CA
ianstone is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
Hello I have the Gowesty 2.2L and very happy. Personally I love it and I feel it is enough power for the type of driving I do (Mountain) In the mountains I tend to do a lot of up hill in 3rd for long periods of time. I use a Taleer 3rd and 4th gear for lower RPM's.65 MPH at 3000rpm I run 91 octane and feel that if I had a larger engine I would use more fuel than needed to get the job done. I hope this helps. VW Logo


this does help. how long have you had it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 15087
Location: New York
insyncro is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote 2.2

dylan


Last edited by insyncro on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCWesty
Samba Member


Joined: April 06, 2007
Posts: 178
Location: Reno NV
RCWesty is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my recently sold 2wd westy, I had a 2.3 GW engine installed following head gaskets issues you describe. I really enjoyed the added power and torque over stock. It is very zippy on the flats and it did really well on the multiple trips over the Sierra Passes near Reno (Mt Rose, Carson, Ebbetts).
It's a tough comparing 2.2 vs 2.3 because with out knowing your driving style and how often you tackle the big contrasts in elevation, it a toss up. My preference would be to go with the 2.3 and make sure the rest of the engine electronics are gone through..

There used to be a table comparing the time it took to go from 0-50 (?) mph for various engines. Search for it on the samba and compare the results of the GW engines.
_________________
89 Burgundy Westy (sold)
90 Blue Syncro Westy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member


Joined: January 02, 2008
Posts: 465
Location: wilmington, nc
Home Team Van is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:
Hey all,

So my van is now at gowesty, and what I was afraid of is reality - i need a new exhaust system. Bummer. This will add about 1300 to my final bill... so it puts me in a tight spot financially if i go with the 2300. The 2300 was my original plan.

Now i am considering the 2200 due to the cost savings and due to the fact that i can still run 87 octane fuel.

thanks.
ian


you could just sell me those mk21's. Wink Good luck with your new motor whichever you choose.

fsulloway
_________________
_________________________________

82 Diesel Westy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member


Joined: January 11, 2005
Posts: 1840
Location: Portland Orygun
climberjohn is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Tencent motor, exhaust and oil cooling should be considered!!!
I will be installing one next week and will be photo documenting.
Watch for it.

dylan


I fershure will be watching that thread! Thanks for documenting it.

-CJ
_________________
'86 Westy, 2.5 Subaru power
Know your limits. Exceed them often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member


Joined: September 14, 2005
Posts: 194
Location: San Francisco, CA
ianstone is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
ianstone wrote:
Hey all,

So my van is now at gowesty, and what I was afraid of is reality - i need a new exhaust system. Bummer. This will add about 1300 to my final bill... so it puts me in a tight spot financially if i go with the 2300. The 2300 was my original plan.

Now i am considering the 2200 due to the cost savings and due to the fact that i can still run 87 octane fuel.

thanks.
ian


you could just sell me those mk21's. Wink Good luck with your new motor whichever you choose.

fsulloway


hey frank!
i have a single mk21 - i would consider selling it. I think i've only used it once for M/S with my figure 8.... and i hardly tape that much these days anyways....

i think i am going to go with the 2200.





oh and thanks insyncro - i know, tencent motors are the best. but i have no way to install it myself nor the know-how... and i don't know any local shops here (THAT I TRUST) who can do it for a price that would be comparable to what i'd get all in @ GoWesty.
For someone like myself, who doesn't wrench, this seemed to be the best solution...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member


Joined: August 08, 2007
Posts: 4614
Location: El Cerrito, CA
j_dirge is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Tencent motor, exhaust and oil cooling should be considered!!!I will be installing one next week and will be photo documenting.
Watch for it.

dylan

Absolutely.

If I were not going SVX.. I'd be putting a deposit down on a 10cent motor.. and I'd wait in line as long as I needed to get one.
_________________
-89 GL Westy, still humming along under the power of a used "WBXer of mystery"
-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"

"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member


Joined: February 13, 2007
Posts: 740
Location: Palo Alto, Calif.
rockfish is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:

oh and thanks insyncro - i know, tencent motors are the best. but i have no way to install it myself nor the know-how... and i don't know any local shops here (THAT I TRUST) who can do it for a price that would be comparable to what i'd get all in @ GoWesty.
For someone like myself, who doesn't wrench, this seemed to be the best solution...


Did you try contacting Fred's Garage in Redwood City? I don't know if they do engine installs (I would bet they do), but they are very reputable shop...I have always been satisfied with their work.

Also you could try Weiss Enterprises in Mountain View. Small shop - but Steve may be able to do the work as well.
_________________
89 Westy
GW 2.5 5-speed trans

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member


Joined: April 11, 2006
Posts: 5739
Location: Portland OR
PDXWesty is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the 2.2. It's a big improvement over stock and you'll be more than happy with it. I drove a friends and it's real nice.
_________________
89 Westy 2.1 Auto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member


Joined: February 11, 2005
Posts: 5438
Location: Las Vegas
levi is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
insyncro wrote:
Tencent motor, exhaust and oil cooling should be considered!!!I will be installing one next week and will be photo documenting.
Watch for it.

dylan

Absolutely.

If I were not going SVX.. I'd be putting a deposit down on a 10cent motor.. and I'd wait in line as long as I needed to get one.


Yeah, but... it isn't always a realistic choice.
I think he'd be waiting months for a 10c motor, that would mean he's out of action for the whole summer, and the guys already got it on the ramps at gowesty. Sounds like he's commited, no?

Never having driven any of the gowesty powered vans, I can't comment on any perceived difference between 2.2 and 2.3, but geesh, can there really be enough of a difference that anyone could actually notice it with just an extra 100cc?

Surely gowesty must have a similarly equipped van with both engines in them for a test drive?
_________________
One of these days I'm gonna settle down,
but till I do I won't be hangin round.
Going down that long lonesome highway,
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member


Joined: August 08, 2007
Posts: 4614
Location: El Cerrito, CA
j_dirge is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Yeah, but... it isn't always a realistic choice.

I guess so..
Ianstone posted here many months ago about doing a Subaru swap. But he was put off by the expense of doing one using professionals like Buslab.

Looks like he procrastinated a few months too long... and is now stuck at GoWesty?
_________________
-89 GL Westy, still humming along under the power of a used "WBXer of mystery"
-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"

"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: Abiquiu, NM, USA
tencentlife is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothin' wrong with being stuck at GoWesty. I can only take care of a handful of customers, so someone has to take up the slack!

No really, they offer an excellent product and great service, you can't go wrong. If your problem is a choice like the OP is facing, well, we should all wish to have such problems!
_________________
See innovative Vanagon accessories at the Vanistan shop:
https://intrepidoverland.com/vanistan/
I don't use The Samba Private Messaging. Please use the contact link at www.intrepidoverland.com

"Official" IntrepidOverland thread for news and discussion:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wallanoise
Samba Member


Joined: October 01, 2008
Posts: 96
Location: Crumsville
wallanoise is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running a GoWesty 2.3 for 3 years now and have been very satisfied. Not only with the engine but with the service that GoWesty has provided me with since the install. 2.2 or 2.3, you'll be stoked. It's a bummer about the exhaust. It is a 20+ year old ride. Enjoy you new engine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member


Joined: June 05, 2010
Posts: 8579
Location: Mt Lemmon, AZ
Ahwahnee is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you have your answer -- but FWIW I have had the GoWesty 2.2 for 5 years / 32,000 miles and am delighted with the performance & mpg. Had a 1.9L before so the bump was noticeable. I do a lot of mountain driving and get to use 4th gear much more often now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2002
Posts: 2010

oasis is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:
So my van is now at gowesty, and what I was afraid of is reality - i need a new exhaust system. Bummer. This will add about 1300 to my final bill... so it puts me in a tight spot financially if i go with the 2300.

I don't know squat about tencent or gowesty, but the testimonials for both gowesty's engines seem fine. Therefore, don't put yourself into a financial bottleneck because you had your mind set.

If you can wait, then your decision is based on whether you want to wait. It sort of sounds like you can't or don't want to.

I had a Super Beetle a few years ago and I was budgeting for an eventual 2270cc Type IV engine. Along the way, a great deal for a 2056cc Type IV became available. I decided to go for it. As much as I may lean towards a 2270cc for whatever my next project might be, getting the 2056cc was a blast to have.

Personally, I think you answered your own question. Go with the 2.2 you can afford with the new exhaust and enjoy it. You may not enjoy the 2.3 so much if you're always driving around with a financial cloud over your head.
_________________
Now: 2003 New Beetle Turbo S / 2014 Tiguan R-Line 4motion / 2013 Tiguan S / 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Past: 1974 Thing Acapulco / 2009 Eos Komfort / 1997 Jetta GT / 2002 Cabrio GLX / 2002 Passat GLS / 1971 Super Beetle / 1993 EuroVan MV Westfalia / 1981 Pickup LX / 1985 Vanagon / 1986 Jetta GLI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member


Joined: September 14, 2005
Posts: 194
Location: San Francisco, CA
ianstone is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty 2200 vs. 2300 - advice? Reply with quote

rockfish wrote:
ianstone wrote:

oh and thanks insyncro - i know, tencent motors are the best. but i have no way to install it myself nor the know-how... and i don't know any local shops here (THAT I TRUST) who can do it for a price that would be comparable to what i'd get all in @ GoWesty.
For someone like myself, who doesn't wrench, this seemed to be the best solution...


Did you try contacting Fred's Garage in Redwood City? I don't know if they do engine installs (I would bet they do), but they are very reputable shop...I have always been satisfied with their work.

Also you could try Weiss Enterprises in Mountain View. Small shop - but Steve may be able to do the work as well.


I'm sure there are ways around it but nobody as reputable as Gowesty. I have had some good and some bad experiences with small shops and I wanted something where I would have a warranty.
I'm not sure that with a 10cent motor i would get a 4yr/48k warranty.

Also, the van is already at go westy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB