Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mine Projekt!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon fiber is a lot more expensive than ABS and gives you a very rigid part. ABS flexes, which is a good property for something that can potentially be hit by high-speed rocks. Fiberglass bumper covers crack, ABS bumper covers don't. It's a good material to use on the front of your car, and with the techniques in the link I posted, it's at least as easy to use as fiberglass for small parts. It might be harder to do a full bumper cover with vacuum-formed ABS at home, but for those little fog lights it would probably be easier.

I'd like to see the fiberglass Vanagon bumpers reproduced in ABS, which would put an end to cracking problems, but I don't like the idea enough to actually pursue it right now. Smile
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like RIM plastic. It deforms and pops back. I think the investment in tooling precludes most small runs from using that material though.

How about cast in a flex resin? Cheap to do....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JED THE SPREAD wrote:
There is a fella who posts on our Vanagon forum in the UK who lives in Thailand who can supply the black plastic parts (only in fiberglass)

If inexpensive enough then that seems reasonable enough. Who is it? Or do you have a link?

JED THE SPREAD wrote:
but its getting the lights in the UK that has proven difficult

How about something similiar? No need to stress and get the exact hard to find item. Maybe there is some off the shelf lamp that could work too. A few changes in the molding would be acceptable to allow the use of a lamp you can actually get.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fiberglass cause it can be repaired with fiberglass. I mention the vacuum bag thing because I've seen it done before and it made a nice smooth part w/o alot of cleanup. but black resin and fiberglass is good too.

if I had a set of original housings, I think I'd find a pair of lamps that would work in current production and fit them to the frames and make the bezels work (i.e. bondo in the currently made lamp bezel) then go ahead and mold the modified part.

I'm running an SA lower grill now so it kinda takes the edge off my desire for this. to me it's all just an aesthetic part cause I drive in the city 99% of the time. I wouldn't mind having a set of them on the shelf though, just to change it up sometime Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing says you have to have a rectangular lamp in the hole.

You could, for example, fit a tiny round DE lamp. Would match the round head lamps lots of us use. Fill the void with more material.

Also, some other stockish little square lamp could be fit. Say a fog lamp from an A3.

Come to think about it, you could just fill in the empty area and let the user mount their own lamp. Or nothing at all.

Using fiberglass would allow the end user to modify has that person chooses.

Just some idears.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
JED THE SPREAD wrote:
There is a fella who posts on our Vanagon forum in the UK who lives in Thailand who can supply the black plastic parts (only in fiberglass)

If inexpensive enough then that seems reasonable enough. Who is it? Or do you have a link?

Think he's talking about napat.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Think he's talking about napat.

This that good or bad?

How do we (I) find this user?

Be nice to know costing and so forth.

Don't ya think, eh?

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay okay, HERE :

"use the search Luke"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449914&start=60
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Come to think about it, you could just fill in the empty area and let the user mount their own lamp. Or nothing at all.

Using fiberglass would allow the end user to modify has that person chooses.

yes ! I like this option best myself. the hard part (to me) is getting the trim piece that fits the grill and turn signal nicely. I'm shure there's plenty of lamps that could be fit to the blank space alright. or rocket launchers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
okay okay, HERE :

"use the search Luke"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449914&start=60

"DUH!"

I did something dumb again and thought. I thought that was a user on another forum website.

I see, said the blind man.

Alrighty, I'll take set of flares and fog lamp holders and.......

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like that guy has stepped up on the flare project which is pretty awesome. I like the idea of the vacuum plastic and I may try that myself just for fun, and pursue a different light option. I would love a high efficiency modern light in that position. I would probably use a modular fitting for the light area, and make a couple of different options, one for a standard/Common Hella type lamp, square for the folks looking for that, and another that was round, a more modern look to match the SA grill. I will keep studying up on the vacuum method as well as some standard lights to fit. If anyone knows something about new optimal lights, or some more plastic help lemme know.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repro surrounds

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1109758

Just a regular guy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Repro surrounds

Price is fine, if they fit well. I sent an email to see if he can make flat ones so we can adapt our own lamps. Little DE projectors or some equally high tech lamp appeals a lot more to me than having to source some antique.

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
otiswesty wrote:
Repro surrounds

Price is fine, if they fit well. I sent an email to see if he can make flat ones so we can adapt our own lamps. Little DE projectors or some equally high tech lamp appeals a lot more to me than having to source some antique.

WORD

I am dying to ask him why he remade those using the original NLA lamp?!?!

I am not one to keep old useless stuff around. When mine go bad, I will probably cut out the back and create my own new housing. Hopefully we come up with a better set in the meantime. I am actually looking forward to this plastics project, so I hope I get the chance. It will open up a whole new world or NLA and NEW parts I dream up for my various projects.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're serious about doing some repros, you should probably pick up some mold material and make some molds before you install them. You could fill in the light holes with non-drying modeling clay, then make plaster negative molds. The same site I listed for vacuum forming instructions has a plaster mold-making and casting howto as well: http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/stormtrooper/index.html

With negative molds, you could immediately make a fiberglass reproduction with a flat surface instead of a light, or you could make a foam plug with expanding foam that you could carve out for a different light fixture, then make a new negative mold. From that negative mold, you could cast a plaster (or other hardy material) plug for vacuum forming.

I imagine there would be enough demand here for fiberglass reproductions with a flat surface instead of a hard-to-fill light hole to make back the cost of the plaster, clay, foam, etc. and maybe even finance the construction of your vacuum forming machine. Smile While you're at it, you could make a Stormtrooper costume and be a hit next Halloween!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd bother re molding for the flat surface. just cut it out and 'glass it up.

you'd need a hole to fit whatever light you find that would work, so just place the new lamp bezel in the hole and 'glass up the margins, bondo a fillet on the front side sand and paint.
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Zwos and love em. Make sure you run a relay...Mine was wired through the switch. That's a lot of power through the switch.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think those will look too good on yours; I'd be happy to take those things off your hands. Anxious

I was tempted to take my tools out at SyncroFest Laughing ... a couple of vans there had them.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

I am dying to ask him why he remade those using the original NLA lamp?!?!

Repro lamps are available too. They are not the Hella brand, but a Chinese knock off. Tristar Eric brought me a set from VanFest last year. Not sure where they are for sale on the net, but they are avail.

Just a regular guy
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projekt Zwo foglight guards arrived from Germany, will be installing soon

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: