Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mielke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Picked up my 1st 67 last weekend from the original owner. Towed it behind his motorhome for 30+ years (as you can see from the super sketchy tow bar!) Java Green, mostly original paint. Wrong high back seats and a couple other small items. Not sure if the engine is original, haven’t cleaned the mouse and squirrel nests out yet. This weekend, if it isn’t too cold.... Have some large dents to deal with, but there is very minimal body rust.

Are the 4 bolt wheels and 4 corner brake drums original?

Serial #117019764 (what would the birthdate be on this one?)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Congrats on your new '67! Looks like a possible bus motor transplant(governor under carb).

I don't think bugs had a governor on them. If you are interested in removing/selling that with the manifold, I will buy it from you. I need one for my '67 Westfalia. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mielke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I’ll let you know once I clean it out better. Stuck on my trailer under 2 feet of snow right now! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHC_cal-look_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Just picked up my first '67 from the original owner's daughter.

VIN: 117454564
Color: L639 Zenith Blue
Model: sedan

RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

The wifes 67 deluxe. Vin 117531148
She picked it up last year. Sad paint and color. Was stripped down and body gone over. No rust, not even around or under the battery. A little old lady from Pasadena story.

need to paint rims correctly (correct wheels and hubcaps?), place new covers on running boards, change rear tail lights, need front hedlight rings. All rubber is replaced. Rear window has to wait for headliner to be installed next week or so.
we will redo entire interior.

Original paint color is ruby red. Interior paint was left alone and looks good. Body person said it had never been apart, was original red, baby blue and then yellow or tan.

Under the front hood all stock. Unfortunely body shop when replacing hood hinges aftr painting them crushed the glove box, ill have to hunt one down.

Shes excited.

[
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
keary_lewis0303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Purchased this 67 a few weeks ago. Pretty solid car, hope to have it road worthy soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67inMontana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I bought my grandpas 1967 (117431148) So i could finish restoring it in his honor and it is a car i will never sell, plus its a part time delivery vehicle (I work for a medical cannabis dispensary, it is the "BudBug", bringing happiness where ever it goes) I have truly fallen in love with this little zippy bug! (has an 1972 1600cc engine in it)
Stevedede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Hello everyone
About to become a new owner to 2 vw’s, one is a 67 convertible and the other is a 67 hardtop. I’m a UPS’s delivery driver and one of my customers asked me if I was interested in both of them I know very little about them but am humbled by my customers offer. Can’t wait to get into these......convertible runs and is all original hard top needs a battery and some work.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Stevedede wrote:
Hello everyone
About to become a new owner to 2 vw’s, one is a 67 convertible and the other is a 67 hardtop. I’m a UPS’s delivery driver and one of my customers asked me if I was interested in both of them I know very little about them but am humbled by my customers offer. Can’t wait to get into these......convertible runs and is all original hard top needs a battery and some work.

Congrats! I'll say it...PICTURES! That is a really cool way to find Vdubs. How did they know you might want them??

Again, post pictures or it didn't happen Wink
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Mielke wrote:
I’ll let you know once I clean it out better. Stuck on my trailer under 2 feet of snow right now! Laughing

OK, thanks! PM me when the spring thaw happens Wink
Zandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I recently bought a 67 ruby red beetle.
Sedan from nov 66.
Ruby red L456
Engine nov 66 as well, waiting for birth certificate before I can claim it's a 'matching numbers'

5 previous owners in Finland. It was recently imported to the Netherlands I imported it to Belgium.

Pecarrolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I cant post up the Vin for my beetle just yet. I'm am just a few days out from going to get it. I am beyond excited to join the VW family. It is a Lotus White 67 hardtop! Also not in the registry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Zenith Blue RHD Oct 66; American spec. 117292436
Delivered to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) from the factory. Now in Nor-Cal.

Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Quite envious of a RHD beetle. It looks really nice.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
[/URL]

Possibly early low control seats. Indicative of late '66 build MY'67. Cool.

Last edited by swharris on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I got my birth certificate the other weekend. 117695981 was built on 22 May 1967.

It’s also back in the original Savannah Beige and just went to the upholstery shop today for the final step of the restoration.

Here’s how the paint came out....

beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

New to me '67. Well, actually wifey's b-day car, but I'm the one who gets to do all the work on it. Bought it from an acquaintance who has a body/paint/sandblast shop next door to son's machine shop. His father-in-law owned it for several years, not sure how many. PO painted it, installed new headliner, door panels, carpet, etc. about 16 years ago. It's lived outside since then, and parked at his shop about 4 years ago. Shortly before parking it, he had new brakes installed except for master cylinder, and new tires. The paint is a 2-stage pearl, still looks pretty good even though it has several chips from being dinged a bit.

Him being a body man, it kinda surprised me to find all the places he cheaped out, and did some not smart things. Like not replacing the window scrapers and felts, leaving the door weep holes stopped up, not installing vapor barriers in the doors, and using cheap panels which are now all but destroyed from the water. The carpet is also quite shitty. Front seats are later models from something else, original seat tracks cut out, and a messy job of mounting the new mis-matches. Driver seat is power, so I guess that justified (to him) the mess.

PO says the stains in the headliner are from condensation. I'm wondering if he forgot about driving it through the river or something. Window rubber seems to have been replaced at the re-paint. All windows appearantly were out, and fenders off for the event.

Body seems to be really sound. Battery tray has been patched by his sloppy method. Really needs at least the rear half of the right side pan replaced. I might get froggy and get into that later.

Has a 1600 dp, code AE installed. After a carb re-build it runs pretty strongly, but has way too much endplay. Has a really new-looking 009 distributor in it, along with the flat spot on off-idle acceleration. PO installed an electric fuel pump, said the mech wasn't pumping enough and the engine was starving for fuel. I haven't gotten into that yet, but I expect the 'lectric pump will be leaving before long.

I've already replaced the window weather-stripping, master cylinder, all 4 rubber brake lines, steering damper, both rod-ends on the right tie-rod, front turn-signal lenses and seals, removed a fair amount of skin from my hands and arms, and got my cussing skills back in good shape.

Waiting on a new brake fluid reservoir. The old one was fine, but the rubber hose sections connecting it to the mc looked original, and I decided to replace them. They didn't leak till I disturbed them, then everything leaked, including the deteriorated rubber seals where the hard lines go into the reservoir.

Are I having fun yet? Yer damn skippy I am!

Got new running boards to replace these bent, sloppy, chrome or SS ones on the car now. I wonder if these might have been intended to just be covers for the original steel, as they are to weak to stand any weight on their own.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Had to replace, or rather place, a shift-rod bushing too, as the only thing left of the original was the wire ring.

More fun to come.
Stan

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Stan,
Not as bad a looking car as your description indicates.
I have seen/owned worse.

A suggestion or two, add a fuse to the back up light wire. That would be the yellow one that attaches to the right side of the carb and trails off to the right side of the engine and forward from there. The power supply is unfused. If there is a short in the back up light circuit, it could take out the entire wiring harness from the engine compartment to the dash of the car.

Until you get the mechanical fuel pump sorted. Figure out a way to support the electric pump. The way it's situated in the engine compartment. There is a lot of weight dangling on the carb inlet nipple. Those nipples are press fit and can pull out causing a fire. Shocked

Have Dan rebuild the Peirburg fuel pump. Or do it yourself as you seem to be a bit handy at getting things sorted. You can get a recently updated FP rebuild kit from WW.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
beeniebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Will add the fuse pronto. I owned and loved several beetles a few decades ago, but have forgotten lots. Never was fluent in the wiring harnesses either. This one has some non-standard monkey-rigging in several areas. You can see some of the right tail-light wiring where the tar-board is loose. I've gotta get into that before I get it on the road also.

The 'lectric pump has a band around it, with a bolt into the housing that feeds air to the left-side heat exchanger.

'Preciate the info on the kit for the pump. Will prolly be doing that soon too.

Thanks again,
Stan
HeidiHo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

A few of my 67 sunroof. This is my daily driver, did 586 miles on it this past weekend on a trip to the beach with my family. The body came off last year, floor pans, napoleon hat, parcel tray all new along with all new suspension/steering/brakes. Interior is pretty decent, nicest VW interior I've ever owned for sure.

Powered by a sweep the floor 1641, 8:1 CR, W100 cam, stock heads, heater boxes, 1 3/8" header, single quiet pack and a single 40mm IDF. Runs good and returned 28.8 mpg on this last trip including about an hour of stop and go traffic.

Fun car. I believe this is the original paint. Did VW use grease pencils at the factory near the fuse box?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 68 of 81

Jump to: