Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
If you've not listened to the "Let's Talk Dubs" podcast on the '67 only differences, it's worth doing. Frenchy Dehoux and Dean Kirsten go into great detail about most...but not all...the one year only differences on the '67. I sure learned a few new things about the minutia of 1967 beetles. Episode 161

Link: https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/website

Yep.. Some good stuff although I heard a couple of mistakes.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

[quote="DKK"]
swharris wrote:

Yep.. Some good stuff although I heard a couple of mistakes.

Agree although I learned a few things too. The minutia is interesting to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

sirmatador wrote:
Just got a 67 a couple weeks ago. 117358541 I wish I knew what this color was, I have a new hood and fender to paint up. I believe the original color was a red of some sort. You can kinda see some red showing through under the dash. If anyone know what this color is called please chime in Smile Other than that it has some decent bones. 1600 dp with no serial number stamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whatever that color is, pretty sure it's not a factory color. Of course, they were never in two tone either. Custom total repaint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I just realized after all this time that I don't think I ever added my convertible to the Registry. I thought I did years ago, but apparently I didn't...

1967 Volkswagen Type1 convertible
Chassis VIN 157063833
August 1966 build
Ruby Red

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Big Bill wrote:
I thought I had registered my car when I got it, but dont see it on the PDF on the first page...no biggie Smile . Vin# 117-201-616 Early to Mid Sept. 66 and I think the OG engine HO-398663 match up time wise from the info I have found. Originally Java Green but with a poor re-paint of a darker green, other than the Driver side front fender I think all the other fenders and doors are OG to the car. I avoided buying a 67 over the years as I didnt want to hassle with all of the one-year parts associated with the 67s, it really hasnt been that bad finding parts for repairs or up grades . I havent wanted to get a Birth Cefitifacate, as the ones I have seen lately are not as informative as years ago. A photo of the car when I got it and a fairly recent one also, Iam trying to go with an early Rally Bug theme. Thanks

Sorry I didn't see this til now Big Bill. I'll add this to the registry.

Thank You Jos. Hall for adding my car and for maintaining the 67 site. Very Happy This is an updated photo of my car...Thanks
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

sirmatador wrote:
Just got a 67 a couple of weeks ago. 117358541 I wish I knew what this color was, I have a new hood and fender to paint up. I believe the original color was red of some sort. You can kinda see some red showing through under the dash. If anyone knows what this color is called please chime in Smile

If it is the original dark red, and it's a sedan, it will be Ruby Red L456. Convertibles could be had in Ruby and Poppy red L54.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Found the last of the missing motor items that would be correct for '67 at recent swaps here in SoCA. Surprisingly for very little cash($35 total) Smile I still need to either find or make/buy the carb brace. The pilot jet is a bit bent from someone dropping the carb on the solenoid, so I need to find a good one. Does anyone have an extra I can buy?

Short black 12V Coil (115C)

SVA Distributer (205K)

30PICT-1 (105-1) Carb
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Found the last of the missing motor items that would be correct for '67 at recent swaps here in SoCA.

Although you scored a nice Bosch "short" coil, the one you have is for a 1971 model year according to the Bosch number = 0 221 114 014. The date code "131" would be for around Nov. 1971 manufacture.

For a '67 type1 the number would be 0 221 114 004, and the 3 digit date stamp code will be 608 (start of 12v in Aug. 1966) through 707 (end of 1967 model year production, July 1967). Your date stamp 131 is the in "newer" Bosch date code system which started around '71

I know this is hair splitting minutia, but if you're absolutely dead-set on having the "correct" components for your '67, then keep searching for the proper date stamp range and Bosch number. Otherwise, if it checks out in functionality, smile and move on...

As far as the carb / air cleaner bracket goes, there was someone on eBay not too long ago who tooled up and made some decent looking repops of it, and also for other years as well. I still have my original, so I never bought one. Not sure if he's currently listing them any more, but maybe worth a shot to take a look...

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
swharris wrote:
Found the last of the missing motor items that would be correct for '67 at recent swaps here in SoCA.

Although you scored a nice Bosch "short" coil, the one you have is for a 1971 model year according to the Bosch number = 0 221 114 014. The date code "131" would be for around Nov. 1971 manufacture.

For a '67 type1 the number would be 0 221 114 004, and the 3 digit date stamp code will be 608 (start of 12v in Aug. 1966) through 707 (end of 1967 model year production, July 1967). Your date stamp 131 is the in "newer" Bosch date code system which started around '71
I know this is hair splitting minutia, but if you're absolutely dead-set on having the "correct" components for your '67, then keep searching for the proper date stamp range and Bosch number. Otherwise, if it checks out in functionality, smile and move on...

As far as the carb/air cleaner bracket goes, there was someone on eBay not too long ago who tooled up and made some decent-looking repops of it, and also for other years as well. I still have my original, so I never bought one. Not sure if he's currently listing them anymore, but maybe worth a shot to take a look...

Thank you for the clarification. All I could see on the day was the Bosch P/N(way too dirty). So the VW number is the same? And I need between 608 and 707. LOL, this should be fun. Haha. This is the only "short" coil I saw at all three shows(OCTO,Classic,BugIn) I don't hold out hope for this one working as it was very oily(leaking?). The seller said both the carb and the coil came off the same car...a '67<shrug>. Replacement coil from '71??

I hate to be "that" guy, but it is sort of fun treasure hunting for these "correct" items. If it works I'll use it until I can find the one from '67. Other than the P/N, are they the same size/shape?

Thanks again.

Oh, I just noticed you have a DKW. My Grandfather bought one brand new back in the late 50's. He apparently had a love-hate relationship with it and its temperamental 2 stroke. Haha. He sold it before I arrived in '64. Here is a pic of my mom and Grandmother in front of it and the '57 Chev. vert. in the late 50's or early 60's. Sadly those cars are long gone from our family Sad

DKW and '57 Chevy Vert.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wgSJwyVZZUFR3VSA

One more of Grandma,Grandad,Aunt and DKW ( 3 = 6 Coupé??)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2boXhsvvEvofdf8Y9
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

swharris wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. All I could see on the day was the Bosch P/N(way too dirty). So the VW number is the same? And I need between 608 and 707. LOL, this should be fun. Haha. This is the only "short" coil I saw at all three shows(OCTO,Classic,BugIn) I don't hold out hope for this one working as it was very oily(leaking?). The seller said both the carb and the coil came off the same car...a '67<shrug>. Replacement coil from '71??

I hate to be "that" guy, but it is sort of fun treasure hunting for these "correct" items. If it works I'll use it until I can find the one from '67. Other than the P/N, are they the same size/shape?

Thanks again.

Oh, I just noticed you have a DKW. My Grandfather bought one brand new back in the late 50's. He apparently had a love-hate relationship with it and its temperamental 2 stroke. Haha. He sold it before I arrived in '64. Here is a pic of my mom and Grandmother in front of it and the '57 Chev. vert. in the late 50's or early 60's. Sadly those cars are long gone from our family Sad

DKW and '57 Chevy Vert.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wgSJwyVZZUFR3VSA

One more of Grandma,Grandad,Aunt and DKW ( 3 = 6 Coupé??)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2boXhsvvEvofdf8Y9

The short coils are all the same in size configuration and shape. (maybe some variables in the (-) 1 and (+) 15 spade connectors, some have 2, some have 3) I have a couple with a Bosch # of 0 221 114 006 , one with date stamp 611 (Nov.'66) and one with date stamp 701 (Jan.'67) but BOTH with VW #311 905 115 - ostensibly fitted for a Type3! Note that there were also identical looking 6v short coils as well. I don't think many would notice or care or even SEE those coded numbering identifiers. All that's noticed is that it's a 12v 'short coil' which is proper for the '67. If yours is functional, paint it up nice and pretty, slap a Bosch 12v sticker on it, and just use it! Very Happy

It's entirely possible that 4 or 5 years into the life of the 67 VW that your components came from, an off the shelf replacement coil was installed in 1972 or thereabouts. They DO occasionally fail! Ergo, the seller stating that both the carb and coil (ultimately) came from the same car...

I apologize in advance if it seems to appear I'm hijacking this thread, but WOW! Thanks for the links to your grandparent's DKW and '57 Chevy! Just beautiful! Judging by what I can see from the photos, I'd say the DKW is a '59. I see it has the Peter Satori Pasadena plate frame too!!! He was the early main importer for Southern California back in the 50's and 60's for a lot of British cars, DKW, BMW, Alfa Romeo, some rare Italian exotics, and later Rolls Royce. I've actually found that the 2 stroke DKW isn't all that "tempermental"...at least not as much as my 2.0L 1967 Porsche 911S was back in the day! I've never fouled a plug in the DKW, but had plug fouling issues in the early 911's and 356's I've owned. Again, thanks for sharing those pics!

Happy treasure hunting!

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

I bought a 67 yesterday from the original owner, 117694795. Had a motor replacement in the 80s due to an engine fire. When you look where the shop replacing the burned up motor put the fuel filter you have to wonder.

davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Good find.

Keep us up to date.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Anyone have floorpan # 117 221 607. Probably in the south somewhere, perhaps Georgia. And most like a racecar by now. Thanks for looking.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
The short coils are all the same in size configuration and shape. (maybe some variables in the (-) 1 and (+) 15 spade connectors, some have 2, some have 3) I have a couple with a Bosch # of 0 221 114 006 , one with date stamp 611 (Nov.'66) and one with date stamp 701 (Jan.'67) but BOTH with VW #311 905 115 - ostensibly fitted for a Type3! Note that there were also identical looking 6v short coils as well. I don't think many would notice or care or even SEE those coded numbering identifiers. All that's noticed is that it's a 12v 'short coil' which is proper for the '67. If yours is functional, paint it up nice and pretty, slap a Bosch 12v sticker on it, and just use it! Very Happy

It's entirely possible that 4 or 5 years into the life of the 67 VW that your components came from, an off the shelf replacement coil was installed in 1972 or thereabouts. They DO occasionally fail! Ergo, the seller stating that both the carb and coil (ultimately) came from the same car...

I apologize in advance if it seems to appear I'm hijacking this thread, but WOW! Thanks for the links to your grandparent's DKW and '57 Chevy! Just beautiful! Judging by what I can see from the photos, I'd say the DKW is a '59. I see it has the Peter Satori Pasadena plate frame too!!! He was the early main importer for Southern California back in the 50's and 60's for a lot of British cars, DKW, BMW, Alfa Romeo, some rare Italian exotics, and later Rolls Royce. I've actually found that the 2 stroke DKW isn't all that "tempermental"...at least not as much as my 2.0L 1967 Porsche 911S was back in the day! I've never fouled a plug in the DKW, but had plug fouling issues in the early 911's and 356's I've owned. Again, thanks for sharing those pics!

Happy treasure hunting!

Great info. I would fall down laughing if someone took a dental mirror and flashlight to the bottom of the coil at a meet/show. Maybe I'll do that at some show and not say a thing Wink Haha. Seriously, many thanks for all the detail.

It's my pleasure re: the pics. I only heard the stories of the DKW and his issues with it. He was many things in his life(that's him in the second photo). A menswear catalog model, Lockheed draftsman(P38 war bird during the war), real estate broker, landscape designer, dry cleaning business owner/operator etc. The one thing he was not was a mechanic. LOL. I never could get a clear picture of what the car was having issues with, but let's just say it left him and my grandmother stranded one too many times. What model is that? It's a cool/cute-looking little thing. Do you have one? I do remember him saying he bought it new up in Pasadena.

The '57 Chevy was my Mom and Dad's right after they got married. I always thought of trying to get one and restore it for them, but well you've seen '57 vert prices now, right? Doh.

Anyway, great to revisit those photos, currently as I type my Mom at 87 is in hospice suffering from Lewy body dementia. It will be days I think. Nice to see her in her prime and know she has had a wonderful life.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: 1967 VW Bug Seat Back Adjuster Slips Reply with quote

I tried searching and NO hits .

My driver's side 1967 seat won't hold the back adjustment .

Is there some simple fix for this ? .

I have need for it to remain in the up right position permanently and was considering drilling a hole and adding a screw, surely there's a common fix for this common problem .

TIA,

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

I just realized after all this time that I don't think I ever added my convertible to the Registry. I thought I did years ago, but apparently I didn't...

1967 Volkswagen Type1 convertible
Chassis VIN 157063833
August 1966 build
Ruby Red

Thank you sir.

I'll add it tonight.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Guys, I think I'm caught up with the original registry. If you haven't submitted your car, please feel free to PM me and I'll add it. Life has stabilized somewhat to where I can up date them every couple days.

Thanks
jos

PS. I'm not caught up on the Jalopy one, as nice as it is to be able to include a photo and some more details. I'm going to stick to the original at the moment. It's just a little easier to maintain.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Here's my fully restored 67 sedan in L360 Sea Blue with a 1915cc motor and air conditioning. Built on 11/15/66 and delivered on 11/18/66. VIN 117308766.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Nice! Can you share the tire size? Looks good with those meaty tires.
1967VWS4LIFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Surviving 1967 VW Bug Registry Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Nice! Can you share the tire size? Looks good with those meaty tires.

Thanks. Tires are Milestar 205/70/15s.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 81

Jump to: