Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hand Crank Tin?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tyiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nos rear tin , it has a hole for the crank handle but does not have a flap over the hole.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type 181 has the pin on the end of the crank. All others are type II. I sold many of them and still have one. The crank is kept in the engine compartment on the right side toward the rear, it follows the engine seal and has two clamps that hold it down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

anyone have any photos of the engine tin with the hole & "flap"?

I got one of these cranks for Christmas and before I drill anything I was curious as to what the correct tin looked like, not sure if I can find one but plan b was to maybe get a spare engine tin and drill that.

not a fan of drilling my engine tin but if I did, the hole looks about the size of the drain holes in my Mustang's floor, hence I could plug it with a rubber plug
or at least I guess I can (not got that far yet).
I ordered a 66 Mustang hole plug kit and it came with various plugs for floor holes, I'd think one of these would work and be easy to push out and replace..but not tested yet....

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Here you go... does not have the spring loaded flap.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Thanks Al!

Also, any good suggestions on where to get one?

I'll continue to look too.

Thanks!

T
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Thanks Al!
Thanks!
T

I did some shopping, looks like if an original rear engine tin with the built in crank hole is unobtainium, i wonder if it'd be worth getting a replacement engine tin say from JBugs and just drilling the hole for the hand crank?

Would save my original tin and from what I've seen the replacements
are priced fairly cheap, like $ 27 to $30 dollars currently (year end sale).

For that matter a "sliding door" could be easily fabricated too I think.

Hmmm Eh?

any suggestions yall?
My only other "thing" is I've never pulled that crank nut or put it back so not sure I have the big azz wrench for that, or how to get it back in and torqued correctly.
Have to hold the engine somehow, best gues is put it in reverse and apply the parking brake...(but that's a guess).

T
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Hi DC.........

I just went out and looked at my crank nut. I was wrong, it does have the hole in the center. Anyway, it measures a hair under 34mm or 1-3/8" across flats. It's a couple mm smaller than the nut on the rear axle.

Somewhere, I've seen how to hold the crank so that you can take the nut off, it might have been in a "Bug Me Video" DVD.

BNMike
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
doublecanister wrote:
Thanks Al!
Thanks!
T

I did some shopping, looks like if an original rear engine tin with the built in crank hole is unobtainium, i wonder if it'd be worth getting a replacement engine tin say from JBugs and just drilling the hole for the hand crank?

Would save my original tin and from what I've seen the replacements
are priced fairly cheap, like $ 27 to $30 dollars currently (year end sale).

For that matter a "sliding door" could be easily fabricated too I think.

Hmmm Eh?

any suggestions yall?
My only other "thing" is I've never pulled that crank nut or put it back so not sure I have the big azz wrench for that, or how to get it back in and torqued correctly.
Have to hold the engine somehow, best gues is put it in reverse and apply the parking brake...(but that's a guess).

T

I'm also looking for answers to your question about removal and installation of the nut. I found many videos showing this unofficial method for removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-28LVGrkw0
but I have yet to hear a recommended method for tightening and for the proper torque
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:
Hi DC.........

I just went out and looked at my crank nut. I was wrong, it does have the hole in the center. Anyway, it measures a hair under 34mm or 1-3/8" across flats. It's a couple mm smaller than the nut on the rear axle.

Somewhere, I've seen how to hold the crank so that you can take the nut off, it might have been in a "Bug Me Video" DVD.

BNMike

Thing7
Quote:

I'm also looking for answers to your question about removal and installation of the nut. I found many videos showing this unofficial method for removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-28LVGrkw0
but I have yet to hear a recommended method for tightening and for the proper torque

Hey Mike, yeah the one I got for Christmas from the wife was from Mike at THINGPARTS.com it's got the hole in the center as well. Looks Brand New too.
Thanks for the measurements...I'll check on the bug me vid info...

And Thing7 is in the same boat as me, I've never taken the crank nut off before, best guess was to put it in reverse and lock the emerg brake to hold it all tight to do the work, unless there is a flywheel lock method or something.
I'll keep searching/asking around.

Thing7, holler if you hear something, i'll do likewise!

T

Last edited by doublecanister on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Just FYI...
A few years ago, I made a hole in the rearmost tin aligned with the pulley bolt.
I sized the hole to fit a Type 3 timing hole plug I had lying around

but any rubber plug from a hardware store would do.

With the hole there, it's easy on the knuckles to use a 30mm socket with an extension to turn the crankshaft pulley bolt (for valve adjustment) from behind the bumper through the hand crank opening.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GM Industries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

I found these in a stash at a VW junk yard.

sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Lucky guy.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

That's for a bus.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Yes, nice find. They are 36hp Bus.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Nice find (even for a bus)!

Thanks for the photos too, it gives me a idea since I may be fabricating a hole and a door (unless I go with a plug).

Speaking of holes....

Since I'm going to have to drill a hole in my tin to do this, any measurements anyone can offer (of the access hole)?

I could probably make a flap similar to the bus one with some sheet-metal, a hinge and some pop rivets or screws or could mig it.

OR- go with the rubber plug method. We got options!

Also, on the rear tin's I looked at on sale at Jbugs and the like, they were not exact "THING" replacements,
They probably could work but they didnt look right, so I ended up having to aquire a THING rear engine tin spare.

Also a side note, I found a photo on the internet(that someone mentioned-ref the samba) of the leather strap pull start for the Vw's, Never seen one of those either! Very Happy

T
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

DC.......

If I can remember where I stashed my little cover flap, I could measure how far down from the top surface the hole center should be, and maybe how big the hole was too. The hole would be smaller than the width of the flap Very Happy

BNMike
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:
DC.......

If I can remember where I stashed my little cover flap, I could measure how far down from the top surface the hole center should be, and maybe how big the hole was too. The hole would be smaller than the width of the flap Very Happy

BNMike

Hey Mike,

Thanks it's worth a shot.

I got wind of a "green lee" hole punch here at work but it's 1 & 1/4 inch wide
it's "almost" big enough but it'd be tight getting the hand crank thru that hole.

the other drill bit I found has adjustable carbide tips for custom size holes, that's plan b.
just wanted to drill it to close to exact size so it don't look too much
like "home-maid".

That and if I knew the exact size I may can find a rubber plug that'd fit verse drilling it out to a bastard size...
Thanks!

PS: actually I've not received my spare tin yet, USPS says it's still in route! Mad
T
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Wyreeka, I found the tin.

The center of the curved part of the flap is 1-3/8" down from the top of the shroud. The width of the flap is 1-3/4", so the hole probably runs somewhere from from 1-1/2" to 1-5/8" ( 38 to 40mm ) diameter. The 'pin' on my crank is 1-3/8" long.

A Greenlee punch will make a nice, neat, hole, but a bi-metal hole saw from the hardware store will cut that thin sheet metal pretty quick too. You might want to run a de-burring tool around the hole after, but it will serve.

Mike
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

I'm thinking the hole punch would end up crushing the tin instead of cutting it
that hole punch is made for thick metal
Try a hole saw instead
Drill slowly...
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: