Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beam disassembly / reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

Calling Max.

Any update on how your replacement bearings are holding up? I bought a dozen to and am curious; they look and feel pretty good to me even though they're 'chinese'. Laughing

-Brent
69sback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

I put the ISP plastic races in last spring and now i have a wobble back in the steering. I'm guessing they wore out already. I'm going to take it apart in the next month or two and report back...
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

Brent the chinese bearings held up very well. But I now have another problem.

I had my fastback in a shop for rust repair and the tech had my bean stripped and powder-coated. But he didn't remove the needle bearings first and now they are full of grit (from the blasting) and cooked grease. Ew!

I have more 35x44x20 upper needle bearings from 2016 but I'm going to need to replace the lowers.

Does anyone know the size of those lowers?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

Turns out the lower rollers are the same as for type-1.

New problem. The bronze inner bushings we made in 2016 survived the oven just fine. The lowers did not. From the remains they appears to have been those ISP ones. Crying or Very sad

Since the outer lower bearings are type-1, are the lower bushings also the same as type-1?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

Don't know the answer yet but Randy Bowen is cutting me a set of bushings from the oil impregnated bronze we had left from making the uppers.

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

Done

Randy Bowen comes through again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cleaned up the trailing arms too

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

When I pulled the beam apart, this thing was covering one of the bearings. What is it? Should I have four?

Max
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

That's a foreign object. Upper bearings have a thrust bush (I think its made of phenolic resin) and an o'ring around the outside merely as a dust seal. Lowers use a grease seal. Someone might have thrown it in there to act as a thrust bush and take up some play.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

I think you're right.

ISP shows 131405129 for the lower and 311405129A for the upper.

https://www.vwispwest.com/311405129A.html?p=

https://www.vwispwest.com/131405129.html?p=

Max
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
I seen these little beauties on fb the other week.

asked the guy if he was planing to make them for others. currently testing them for a year to see how they wear.

How was the wear on these?
COtype3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Beam disassembly / reassembly Reply with quote

This has been a great thread, Max thanks, maybe I will see you around the Springs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: