Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:
...... when i looked close there werent any holes on the same plane as the broken mount. im sure a skilled fabricator could bend a metal plate to meet with some of the unused holes on different planes but that aint me.

If there's a hole near by on another plane, maybe you could heat a piece of mild steel red-ish at bend points (if not too thick, can be done with propane torch. Just takes time, lights low/off to see colour), bend, drill, bolt to existing bracket and new hole? Can all be done with a well mounted vice, propane torch, drill, use crescent wrench(s) to hold and bend material.

Caution: WAG, but there might be potential for new part to lever too much on new hole causing yet another crack.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

Interesting to find this thread. I bought an 87 Tiico conversion from someone in B'ham and it matches the description of this one pretty well. Except the seller was not at all forthcoming about the leak and I completely missed the safety strap. Had the motor replaced when all was revealed by my local shop…and a few other improvements.

If I had it inspected, I never would have bought it and I'm not my life hasn't been more interesting with it than without.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

What an interesting genealogical discovery. I wonder if I’ll come across my van’s past life on thesamba.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

I looked at that burgundy van in B'Ham and did not buy it because of the hole in the block.
Glad to hear it was finally taken care of the right way.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

Geez, JB weld Mickey Mouse repair on an engine block/mount?

WTF???

I have a Audi 3A Bubble block and it doesn't leak a drop.
It has ventilation at the valve cover.
It's a GREAT engine! High compression, high redline, good mileage.
and none of the issues with the orig wasserboxer.

If that engine was losing copious amounts of oil as the OP said, there was
an obvious reason. And apparently having a real mechanic check it out
was not happening- another example of some cheap azz Westy owners.

If a mechanic noted the engine mount problem, and oil leaks,
this problem could have been averted before the block broke.
Difficult to believe that the loose engine mounts didn't make a horrendous noise.

Tiicos have a bad rap, because the 'rebuilt' engines supplied by the kit were total crapholes- well documented. Throw that Tiico engine away and swap in an original Audi 3A 2.0 Bubbleblock, they are a great alternative -and all VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

The new motor — a Jetta Mk IV 2.0 — has been solid, and the installer has a lot of experience with half-baked Tiico kit. Some welding on the carriers, a custom exhaust of his own construction…it wasn't cheap but it's been solid since. Looks a lot like the one you show in your identically painted engine bay.

I didn't get it inspected, for a few reasons, none of them good, in hindsight. I trusted the seller and, more importantly, myself, and that was a bad call. Water over the dam, at this point. I was just surprised to see what looks like the same van pop up in a thread. If I find the pictures, I'll post them.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fractured block at engine mount, warning to tiico owners. Reply with quote

Found 'em:

My assumption was that someone broke off the mount through an excess of ugga duggas…it looked to me like the mounting bolt was driven too far and popped the mounting stud off the case. Maybe that's just an artifact of the casting process.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: