Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVonZip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

Does Toga White have this "creamy", light beige tint to it..its hard to tell with only one pic i could find. I really like this color, anyone have their vw painted this color, pic?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
Rick

-For once in my life, i'd like to get up in the morning and be as happy as my pennis is... (samba member)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erikaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had mine painted in this colour, Togaweiss L90C. Sorry about the mobile pictures: http://www.forum.vwacb.com/index.php?topic=440.msg313100#msg313100
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savanna Beige
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starr1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 69 is toga white, at least origionally it was. The inside def is. The outside is now a 2 tone, top half is toga, bottom has a bit more cream. Almost same color. Depending on lighting conditions it looks white, cream or beige. Closer to white than your photo.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as already said it does depend on lighting but yes Toga is a more "off white" creamy, tanny than some of the others. if i kept my square a white(originally pearl white) it was going to be toga. i don't like bright whites. i decided to go agave instead but am considering doing the roof toga.

a quick search for toga got several good hits. including this one.......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410642&highlight=toga
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

Went to the paint store and he had the codes for toga white but they’re not coming out right. Way to dark grey. Do anyone have a modern formula for toga white.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

L90C is an odd colour, always looks lighter IRL than in any photos i've seen. the pic at the start of this thread is a classic example, it's underexposed which makes the colour appear darker than it is. it's also the only reference on the samba upholstery pages, which is misleading.

below is a pic of mine showing original paint. it's a part of the car that was rarely exposed and where the original colour is really well preserved (i have exterior pics but the paint is completely oxidised and is extremely white). photo is taken in neutral light and is well exposed. no guarantees though, a lot depends on the screen you're viewing, how it's calibrated etc.

L90C is a warm off-white tone, with a very subtle hint of grey. any decent paint shop should be able to properly mix this colour given the L90C code.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but sharing my L90C comparison for those trying to color match. In this picture, I removed the "toga white" respray from the apron. The OG paint has a lot of blue and grey in it by comparison. When it's not contrasted against the respray, it doesn't appear as blue/grey. Obviously, I'm not a paint matching expert but a good one could easily match it. Not sure if the OG changes tone with age. I took the picture on an iphone and by my eye, the picture is pretty close to the actual paint.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

Well we scanned it from the glove box door and mixed some paint like 3 times to get it close. One time the computer popped it up as Dallas Ft Worth Airport. I know sometimes paint looks different in a can than on a car. A couple of older paint and body guys told me that paint was different back then there wasn't so many shades of black or white, etc so when they try to use the book to get the formula they don't come out right. I called ispwest to send me their formula and all they did was send me the original code which isn't correct so I have no clue what formula people are using to come up with the paint. I guess that's why Coral red, Mango Green, Beryl Green just don't look correct sometimes you just get close. Some painter can cheap out and use some chevy or ford color that's close and call it a day so when you have to replace a fender it pulls up some chevy malibu white or something.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

inside glove box is perfect, basically never sees daylight. how did you scan it? and who mixed the paint?

the correct vw code is L90C Toga White. a qualified, decent paint shop can match that. just had a batch of single stage mixed up and it looks quite dark in the pot, but that's a huge depth of non-cured paint, never going to look right.

i'm hopefully painting over the coming weekend, can post some pics for what it's worth.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

here's the re-sprayed baggage area for comparison, next to the original. shot in similar light conditions. the colour is slightly dustier than factory, also has a touch more hue, tending toward blue/green. i actually prefer it. i'm also going to talk to the shop that mixed it and ask why it's coming out different.

jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

Here's my '69 painted Toga White. The problem with this color is that it's significantly effected by light and environment. My car goes from a light creamy tan to a little grey or sometimes green tone and photos are harder to try to pin down.

jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

And here is another pic before I painted it sporting it's original paint. I used the glovebox as match so it's pretty close so I blame it on lighting [California sun vs New Jersey overcast] and picture variables.

jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

And here is another pic before I painted it sporting it's original paint.

janoostland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

This color looks great, any chance you can provide the formula/paint manufacturer? That would save me a lot of headache! Thanks so much!
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Toga White really this creamy/tan looking ? Reply with quote

The color is L90C Toga White. Any paint supplier should be able to mix it. Glasurit is the original paint manufacturer, anyone who mixes Glasurit paints will get it the most accurate. As preciously noted, this color changes drastically depending on the lighting. In the sunlight it warms up well, under clouds it cools down. Under fluorescent lighting it gets a green tone. The shots above of the type3 look pretty accurate. Here's another shot of my car under early morning light. Probably more accurate than the ones I posted above.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: