Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

`70 squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Damn fine looking parts!

Where did you find rubber for the diagonal arm bushings? I could only find red urethane a few years ago.

At my local aircooled parts shop in romania, but i think cip1 or ISP West also has them
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
vwtyp3variant wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where did you get those socket cap (allen head) tin screws? I am digging the color/coating on your manifolds!

At a local harware store, they are the same dimensions as the original only they are not hex head
The manifolds are the same color as the muffler and heat exchangers, its high temp paint from StoveBright color code 6196
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
vwtyp3variant wrote:

Where did you get those socket cap (allen head) tin screws? I am digging the color/coating on your manifolds!

You can buy those allen head holts from Mcmaster Carr

Bag of 100 in black oxide in class 12.9 alloy.. $10.26
Bag of 100 in zinc plate in class 12.9 alloy.... $9.30

Also available in zinc flake coated, zinc aluminum coated and blue dyed zinc for slightly more $. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for that info guys, I will check my local shop next time I am there although I will most likely purchase online since bulk is usually cheapest.

They are the M6x1 threads correct?
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

M6x10 & M6x15 mm that is depending on where its needed, i used the parts catalog to figure it out
glutenfree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

vwtyp3variant wrote:
M6x10 & M6x15 mm that is depending on where its needed, i used the parts catalog to figure it out

Thanks! I am not sure I will shell out for these this build as I am way over budget already but I will definitely be upgrading to these in the near future. Nothing like using a ball socket hex key versus a flat head driver.
my Shapeways store
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

glutenfree wrote:
vwtyp3variant wrote:

Thanks! I am not sure I will shell out for these this build as I am way over budget already but I will definitely be upgrading to these in the near future. Nothing like using a ball socket hex key versus a flat head driver.

You can get enough for $10 to build about three engines.

Personally I use 10mm hex cap screws for all my sheet metal. I try not to use allen head for anything they are not absolutely required for.

They strip just as easily as the damn slotted screw types...and even worse if and when they rust and lose a little metal. Though...the ones I listed are a notch better than stock because they are class 12.9 instead of the stock class 8.8.....but its far nice to use a 12 pt socket on a 1/4" ratchet to do all of the sheet metal.

16mm/ 1.0 X 20mm long class 12.9 are a bag of 10 for $4.33 at McMaster Carr.
I simply cut them to length if I need them shorter....in a few seconds with a Dremel and cut-off wheel.

Class 10.9...which is really plenty for sheet metal....are available in 6mm/1.0 X 16 in Black oxide, Zinc, Zinc aluminum and blue-dyed zinc in bags of 50 for $8.21 at McMaster Carr. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

8.8 is enough for the engine tins, most of the threads are in aluminium anyway so you won't be tightenig it very hard anyway

Suspension bolts are usually 10.9

Keep in mind that the hardness of a bolt is a double-edged knife, yes its harder but its less elastic so it can break in time from vibrations
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

In the US, you can buy these bolts individually at Ace Hardware.
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

complete rear suspension mounted , also done some body work and painted the wheel wels in L30A ,as the car will be painted in that color in the spring

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

rebuilt my drive shafts

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

Do not show this photo of those (no doubt greasy) CVs on your wife's nice kitchen floor!
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Do not show this photo of those (no doubt greasy) CVs on your wife's nice kitchen floor!

Laughing they are at my mom`s place

I just found this photo from 1994

me in front of a 68 square in our garage at that time Smile

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

a bit more progres on my square
front end sandblasted and powder coated
vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

a couple of restored brake parts

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

assembling the front beam

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

vwtyp3variant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: `70 squareback Reply with quote

the car is now on its wheels again, next step is painting the body
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: