Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awning Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of currently available CASE awnings for our vans besides the Fiammas. The F35Pro looks a little cheesy when I saw a youtube video setting it up and I am not crazy about the 50lb weight of the 9'10" F45. $1000 is a probably more than I want to spend too.

I had a Carefree Sidewinder II lightweight case awning before but they are long gone, so is the Dometic Horizon II. Thule used to make one a long time ago. Of course no more TransAwn or anything else I could find. The one bag awning I like is the Carefree Campout, same hardware and mechanisms as the old sidewinder but in a bag rather than case. I don't hate it, but I'd rather have an aluminum case.

Any other options in a case awning? Thanks
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rented a T5 California in Germany this summer. It came with a factory aluminum case awning or so it seemed because it was the same color as the van. It folded out quickly like a Fiamma 45 but it didn't seem bulky or heavy hanging on the side or deployed. Maybe it was the 35 model? I looked but couldn't find a label anywhere. Anyone know what make/model comes stock on a T5 Westy?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Of course no more TransAwn or anything else I could find.

FWIW, the Trans-Awn is being reproduced by a South African (or is it Australian?) company, Eezi-Awn. A company here in AZ is importing them; currently only the long one is in stock (2.5 meters), and it's not exactly cheaper than the Fiamma: http://www.equipt1.com/i/awnings/series-2000 . Van Adapter Kit mounting brackets: http://www.adventurerv.net/adapter-kit-van-mounting-p-20187.html .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kam,
It looks like they also have a 1000 series that is less $545 and only $20 shipping to CO. http://www.equipt1.com/item/series-1000-2-5-meter-awning
Can't tell from the pics if I like it. But the 2.5M are only 8' and I thinking 3M would be good if it is a roll out type as they are still very light.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda looks like half-way between a fiamma and a bag awning.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Awning Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

Not sure if you looked back one page at my set up or not. I was able to use an old Apollo aluminum case awning and parts that are available online and at RV dealers in the US. (Not so much in Canada) I bought a piece of Sunbrella from my local canvas shop. It's a strictly manual set up but very fast and very sturdy. Mine only extends out 6' but it could be up to 10' if I had wanted to pay for more material. Smile It has worked really well for me and I'm very happy with it and for about $95 the price is right!

Any questions feel free to PM me.
Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen pics of Thule awnings in non-US locations. They look great.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314158
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you guys with the ARB awning, I see that DasMule sells them as well and offers the GW brackets "slightly modified" to fit the awning... Anybody know what this mod may be? I may have access to a pair of cheap GW brackets...

I agree that the poles aren't the best-- I wonder if they could be changed down the line?

The fiiamma is awesome but the thing I'm not a fan of that I haven't seen commented on yet is the design on the fabric. I like the look of the arb when deployed much better---

That being said, I'm hoping the arb comes in different color storage bags then just the grey...
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevbOliver wrote:
The fiiamma is awesome but the thing I'm not a fan of that I haven't seen commented on yet is the design on the fabric. I like the look of the arb when deployed much better---

I didn't like the Fiamma pattern either but... while sitting under it in the shade from the Texas sun or the shelter from the rain the pattern doesnt even cross my mind. =)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "slight modification" is that they have already drilled the holes.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I like that Trans-Awn! Looks nearly identical to my aluminum case Apollo Norseman. I really like the setup of it and it's pretty easy to set up. I have loosely looked into other brands but aren't sold on the way they set up. Price isn't so nice though...
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
The "slight modification" is that they have already drilled the holes.

Yes. Now that you say that and I look at the way it mounts it makes good sense. Thanks!
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EurovanGlamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: List of retractable awnings Reply with quote

I found this link to be a helpful list of retractable awning options. Goes over much of the options has been written about in this thread with short descriptions, side by side:
http://www.camperize.com/awnings.html
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

This BunduAwn from Bundutec out of South Africa looks like a nice set-up, similar to the Foxwing. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Note: Can's seem to get the url to work for the BuduAwn above so best to navigate from http://www.bundutecusa.com/ There is also a review on the home page too.

Link

1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

Question about security;

Can the Fiamma or the ARB awnings easily be removed (ie. Stolen) quickly with any of the popular mounting options that clamp on the rain gutter? Like the GoWesty, NorthWesty, VanCafe brackets? Just wondering if that's something to be concerned with while long term parking in maybe a shady (no pun intended Very Happy ) site.

Is the removing bolt concealed within the Fiamma casing?

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Question about security;

Can the Fiamma or the ARB awnings easily be removed (ie. Stolen) quickly with any of the popular mounting options that clamp on the rain gutter? Like the GoWesty, NorthWesty, VanCafe brackets? Just wondering if that's something to be concerned with while long term parking in maybe a shady (no pun intended Very Happy ) site.

Is the removing bolt concealed within the Fiamma casing?

Yes, they can be easily removed. However, if you do a google search for say "anti theft 10mm nut" you'll pull up some websites that sell this special hardware. So with this, one needs a key... much like a locking lug nut.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

FYI to whomever is interested: in the Portland area, mind you ...

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/rvs/5436815135.html

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

Looks like there is a sale on Fiamma Awnings at Panther RV products. $774 for the F45 10 footer. And they always have free shipping. Seems pretty good for that particular awning.

http://panther-rvproducts.com/Fiamma-06280A01T-Awn...qscsfapp02
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

Go for it Dave! I couldnt be happier with my Fiamma. Its the gigantic F65s and its bumper to bumper shade, deploys easy and stows easy. My wife sets it up at times. Great in the wind with thier spring arms. Will buy another one. The fox awnings are on the list for the Pinzgauer.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Awning Options Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Go for it Dave! I couldnt be happier with my Fiamma. Its the gigantic F65s and its bumper to bumper shade, deploys easy and stows easy. My wife sets it up at times. Great in the wind with thier spring arms. Will buy another one. The fox awnings are on the list for the Pinzgauer.

I can't decide what I want. I am currently making another of my own design using a case made from a Vinyl Fence Post. It looks better than it sounds.

I posted this because I know most people go for the F45. If you were to buy this same awning at GoWesty it would cost $1200 including shipping to the West Coast less $45 in go bucks and potentially another $90 if you wait for a sale assuming it isn't excluded. Eurocampers also sells them for about the same price with somewhat lower shipping of $230 to West Coast. But that's still over $1000 vs. $774 here.

http://panther-rvproducts.com/Fiamma-06280A01T-Awn...qscsfapp02

The best price I have found on the F35 Pro is on AdventureTrailers.com but shipping isn't free. Someone is selling the 8 footers on ebay with free shipping, but the price works out about the same, around $650. Compared to $774 for the 10 foot F45 at PantherRV it is no contest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 22

Jump to: