Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: clutch Reply with quote

WOW! Almost sounds like a go kart centrifugal clutch.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No almost about it, it's just a roller centrifugal clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_RaF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you will find something interesting here:

http://www.classiccult.com/blog/saxomat.html

The owner of the car is on samba. His nickname: classiccult
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Very interesting thread.

I have a question about Saxomat: when engine is idling or off there is no way to engage the clutch, right?

So how can I block the car when parking on a hill? Only with handbrake?

Recent automatic transmissions have a "Park" position that blocks the drivetrain.
classiccult Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Yes you can park only with handbrake. Without handbrake the Saxomat Beetle will move.

Next problem: When your battery is empty, pushing will not help to get it running.

I have driven over 100000 Kilometer with Saxomat Beetle...
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Thank you.

Just for curiosity, I hope to have in the future a possibility to drive a saxomat, I'm very curious about it.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

I installed a Saxomat on my 1964 40hp and drove it around quite a bit last summer. My question, does the Saxomat use a different distributor than the manual clutch? Right now I'm using the stock 28 PICT-1 (with the extra vacuum port drilled out) and the original small cap distributor (Feb '64). I plan on installing big bore 83mm pistons and possibly bumping up to a 30 PICT-1, would this change the distributor requirements?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

I've never seen anything regarding a special distributor for the Saxomat. Now, later when it morphed into the Autostick, you had a torque converter which was a torque mulitplier at lower engine speeds so VW did use a different carb/distributor combination to match that. However, the Saxomat is just a roller clutch at the heart and the engine/transaxle perform pretty much the same as a normal stick shift, so no real need for anything different.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

I have a Saxomat installation guide that I have tried to scan for the technical section. Unfortunately the size of the manual doesn't scan well on our work scanner.

When I get to work Monday morning. I'll have a look in the manual and see if they recommend the use of a special distributor. I don't recall reading that one is required.

Hang tight. I'll let you know.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Everything I found on the switch from the big cap to small cap distributor didn't mention anything about Saxomat, so I figured they might be the same. I was only curious because the vacuum tank needs to be filled (emptied?) between shifts and didn't know if that would change the vacuum signal. Not completely, but a small amount. I'm using an autostick tank, and with the engine off it's good for about 4-5 shifts before it's empty.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

The saxomat valve is connected to the manifold (big hose) and, for control, to a port in the carburetor connected itself to a small hole near butterfly valve.

The distributor line has other connection: a small hole near the butterfly (not the same before) and another hole above the venturi.

So there is no connection between the two subsystems.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I have a Saxomat installation guide that I have tried to scan for the technical section. Unfortunately the size of the manual doesn't scan well on our work scanner.

When I get to work Monday morning. I'll have a look in the manual and see if they recommend the use of a special distributor. I don't recall reading that one is required.

Hang tight. I'll let you know.

Is your Saxomat installation guide part of the Bentley manual or something separate? I'd be very interested so see a copy please if it is different - I have the Bentley manual (1961-1965)

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Send me a PM with a valid email address and I'll forward you a copy of the manual.

Regards

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
1962saxomat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was reading this thread and found out that there a more enthousiast about the saxomat clutch system. Many years ago I also posted some info, but for many years I was inactive on internet about this theme.

I own a ‘62 beetle with saxomat clutch in the Netherlands for many years now. It’s still running and use it only for driving around on sunny days.

Just wondering if there are any saxomat beetles surviving with this saxomat clutch......
And who has found new spare parts adresses?
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

1962saxomat wrote:
Hi there,

I was reading this thread and found out that there a more enthousiast about the saxomat clutch system. Many years ago I also posted some info, but for many years I was inactive on internet about this theme.

I own a ‘62 beetle with saxomat clutch in the Netherlands for many years now. It’s still running and use it only for driving around on sunny days.

Just wondering if there are any saxomat beetles surviving with this saxomat clutch......
And who has found new spare parts adresses?

Saxomat equipped cars are rather rare. I know of one in the UK, one in Europe (a heb which has been sold - I'm not sure where it is now) and one in the US - I will be installing one in my vehicle here in Australia. Parts are hard to come by so people tend to hoard them. I had my clutch refurbished int he UK by spraying new phospher bronze on the wear plates. Posting a wanted ad may find you some parts.

Good luck!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1962saxomat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Hi,

Nice to hear that you are in the process installing a saxomat.
In which car (beetle I suppose) / model year a you doing that?

I found there is a small difference in modelyear and how some saxomat parts are situated in the car (different vacuum tank).

Also saw on internet a saxomat car in Sweden, but that is already some time ago. Very rare option indeed.
Corkever61sax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

1962saxomat wrote:
Hi,

Nice to hear that you are in the process installing a saxomat.
In which car (beetle I suppose) / model year a you doing that?

I found there is a small difference in modelyear and how some saxomat parts are situated in the car (different vacuum tank).

Also saw on internet a saxomat car in Sweden, but that is already some time ago. Very rare option indeed.

Hello

I think i buy the bug saxomat.

The vw kever 61 original sweden. Import to nederland and then to belgie.

2 weeks ago i'am the new owner of the saxomat back in nederland.

It's a white bug saxomat 1961.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

Nice!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
guteandtite wrote:

Sorry, this is off-topic, but after decades of seeing stickshift (and even automatic) VWs, this photo just makes me laugh!

it looks so incomplete and unmature yet at the same time innocent lol Laughing i almost feel bad for the poor little cluster Very Happy
FBIVW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: SAXOMAT Automatic Clutch 1961-1967 - NOT Autostick Shift Reply with quote

How can I find information about the saxomat register?
I have a 61
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: