Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Used dual Dellorto 45DRLAs Reply with quote

Guys, I'm considering picking up a set of used dual Dellorto 45 DRLAs for sale. They come with linkage, manifolds with air cleaners. Seller has no idea of the jetting, emulsion tubes, vents, etc. He says he got them from a friend who ran them on a trike; apparently he personally witnessed them running great with that setup; they have been 'gone through' in the last few years and are in what he calls 'cherry' condition. We all know how the story goes…blah blah blah, let's leave it at that.
I've searched in the classifieds and see several sets for sale in the $700-900 range. I know what NEW IDFs, HPMXs, IDAs cost, including those that are rebuilt, even out of the box, by reputable professionals like Air Cooled Engineering. My intention is to have Art at ACE rebuild these, so I only care that all parts are there and that they're rebuildable. I've done some searching in multiple threads, like the one below:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...dual++dell

By the way, my intended use for these carbs is a brand new 2110 or larger engine, actually it will most likely be a 2276cc moderate street motor with Engle 120 or FK8-style cam, S. Tim's stage 1 or 2-style heads, A-1 exhaust, all going into a 57 ragtop bug (per my build thread below Smile ) I don't want to go the IDA route.

Asking price is $500. My understanding is that it's important to ensure all the parts are there, b/c parts can get spendy quickly on Dells. Assuming all parts are there, that they are in good shape, and considering I will turn around and spend $400+ to have ACE rebuild these, is this a good deal? What would you be willing to pay? I know guys are all over the map when it comes to carb preferences. I also know that a lot of guys swear by these 45 Dells. One other basic question: how can I tell these are 45s and not 40s, etc? Is there a casting on the carb that would reveal this? Yah, I know, I'm REALLY new. Thanks all.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 for a set of Dell 45's is a steal! There small bosses on the sides of the barrels down by the mixture screws and vacuum port. It will say DRLA 45 on one and Dellorto on the other. Smart move to have ACE look at them. They will set you up with proper vents and jetting for your application - no need to speculate on that here.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darth!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, picked them up last night. I would not call them cherry, but I suppose they're in good shape. All parts seem to be there. I have not had a chance to go in and look at the internals yet.
All the indentifying info is on the diaphram side of the carbs. The motor's left side carb has a small stamped metal tag on it that says "R6217". Then to the left of that stamped in the casing of the carb body says: "Dellorto Made in Italy". To the right of the tag also stamped in the casing: "DRLA 45S". The other carb's little metal tag says "R6218". It has the same "Dellorto Made in Italy" stamp. On the right of the tag is stamped: "DRLA 45D".
The air cleaners seem to be in real nice shape, as do the filters. How'd I do? Here's some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look dandy to me....just what I'd expect from a nice well used set of 45's. Good luck and happy driving.

BTW....is that 'left Coast" as you face North or South? Laughing

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RC. Smile
Left as you face north. As the late Jim Morrison once heralded: "West is the Best" Cool
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending them to ACE right off the bat is a good idea. My carbs I bought used for $300 (carbs only, no manifolds, air cleaners, etc) and looked really nice and clean. Irregardless, I went through them and installed a rebuild kit as per the seller's recommendations.
Once on the engine, they turned out to have a wicked leak. As soon as the engine was turned off, gas would pour out onto the butterflies through the progression ports in the throats. Probably could have saved myself a fair amount of time and frustration if I'd just sent them out to be professionally redone to begin with, but I was hoping to save some coin, as money is certainly not described as "no object" in my shop. Lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bugnut, good to know. Even tho a Dell 45 rebuild kit is only like 40 bucks or something (per carb) vai CB Perf., I am more inclined to spend $400 and have them rebuilt, set up, bench tested and working perfectly on my 100% brand new engine. Once I get the engine, that is. LOL Rolling Eyes
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

left_coast*9 wrote:
Thanks Bugnut, good to know. Even tho a Dell 45 rebuild kit is only like 40 bucks or something (per carb) vai CB Perf., I am more inclined to spend $400 and have them rebuilt, set up, bench tested and working perfectly on my 100% brand new engine. Once I get the engine, that is. LOL Rolling Eyes

I bought my rebuild kits from the guy in Italy who has tons of Dellorto stuff on Ebay. They were $40 for the pair, plus shipping, as I recall.

I wish I'd gone to Art sooner as I'd likely have the engine running and in the car by now... ah well, live and learn.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel aka alfa1750 has top notch rebuild kits. Ships fast even considering hes in Italy. I have never been disatisfied with his products or service and I will be a lifetime customer for my vw life.
Leftcoast consider yourself somewhat fortunate. The condition of your carbs arent that bad. Average outer condition actually and mostly aesthetic mostly. Ive certainly rebuilt and cleaned much much worse! I like to send before and after pics to requesting customers. Sometimes leaves em speechless.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Gabriel aka alfa1750 has top notch rebuild kits. Ships fast even considering hes in Italy. I have never been disatisfied with his products or service and I will be a lifetime customer for my vw life.
Leftcoast consider yourself somewhat fortunate. The condition of your carbs arent that bad. Average outer condition actually and mostly aesthetic mostly. Ive certainly rebuilt and cleaned much much worse! I like to send before and after pics to requesting customers. Sometimes leaves em speechless.

Yeah, exactly. Mine looked beautiful visually and turned out to be complete shitpiles inside, apparently. Lol.
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that these carbs don't have the DRLA Vacuum take off union on them. Do you need to have this for the carbs to function, or is it just for what the name implies....vacuum take off for something else?

I have a pair of these and 1 carb has the fitting broken off inside, so if can just tap and plug that port, that would be great.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of this doo-hickey?

I have a set of these on the shelf and am getting ready to go through them in the next few weeks as I wait for other parts to be machined.

Pictures speak to me much better than words sometimes...
kevinhosp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a dellorto book and do them youself. It will give you a better understanding on how they work and you will have a better understanding on how to set them up
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a set of 45's for 500 as well. Lucky I guess. Art told me that they can sell a pair rebuilt for 13-15 hundo all day. He is a really cool guy to talk to and his team is super knowledgeable.
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom right nipple on the picture.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to use those nipples for vacuum advance. You want to use the one he has the vacuum cap on.......
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to use any vacuum source off the carb. Im asking if I need them at all on the carb since I have one broke off on the other carb. Can I just plug that port?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they all can be plugged. I'd use Allen set screws.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Bigg Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: