Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

questions about Bus
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mittens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: questions about Bus Reply with quote

Question

Im new to this Forum and site. but I thought I ask here as this is dedicated to Vdubs.

Im considering about getting a Westy, but I had a few questions.

1. whats the best option to do a engine swap from gas to diesel? why I ask on diesel is better MPG, better torque , and biodiesel

2. is there any way to either have a larger fuel take OR have dual tank set up, and how

3. where does an Aux battery go and how big of a battery will fit. that way if Im at a campground or campsite that doesnt have connections I can run on batt , and I do plan on having solar energy.

thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel conversion is possible (some early Vanagons came with diesels) but can be pretty tricky because the original engine compartment was designed primarily for a flat-four engine. Most diesels are too tall to fit so they need to be tilted over at an angle. Some people have done beautiful VW TDI diesel conversions but it's expensive and non-trivial.

Maybe look for an early diesel Vanagon or consider a dodge sprinter which comes with a nice high-tech diesel ready to go.

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and take a seat, have a look around and hopefully stay awhile.

those are some loaded questions, that are often debated here by the 'experts' ad nauseum.
so besides a nice introduction of yourself, your intentions and goals
I'd say the next step is to take awalk thru the search with some key words and learn..

for the most part a Diesel swap isn't an economical venture. the payback of return of investment can be a few years. maybe a quicker ROI if you are brewing your own fuels. but we all know that nothing (incl labor) is cheap, easy or free.

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mittens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Welcome and take a seat, have a look around and hopefully stay awhile.

those are some loaded questions, that are often debated here by the 'experts' ad nauseum.
so besides a nice introduction of yourself, your intentions and goals
I'd say the next step is to take awalk thru the search with some key words and learn..

for the most part a Diesel swap isn't an economical venture. the payback of return of investment can be a few years. maybe a quicker ROI if you are brewing your own fuels. but we all know that nothing (incl labor) is cheap, easy or free.

Dan in NY

First and foremost, I'm Julian, Im in college for computer sciences and my goal is own my own business at some point.

I'd like buy a westy and rebuild it to my liking. I do understand that my questions are pretty epic for a first timer. But any help would nice in my
venture. Why I ask such questions is so I can drive and enjoy it, not let it sit in my back yard and collect tree sap.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a diesel, it's probably easiest (and cheapest) to find one that was originally a diesel or has already been successfully converted to diesel by someone else. This will probably save you more time and money in the long run.

Dual fuel tanks, multiple batteries and solar panels are all options that plenty of people on here have added to their vehicles. Search the forums and you can start to determine what you do and don't like about each option.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that you are from Michigan my #1 priority would be rust. working on suspension that is all seized up really sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Greetings from Mid Michigan Reply with quote

I live in Flint; Grand Blanc, actually. I bought an 84 Westy a couple years ago and have been working on it. No disel conversion, however. Fixing up a Westy costs $ and time (if you do it yourself). If you want a hobby and a cool form of transportation and fun, go for it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about Bus Reply with quote

Mittens wrote:

3. where does an Aux battery go and how big of a battery will fit. that way if Im at a campground or campsite that doesnt have connections I can run on batt , and I do plan on having solar energy.

^That I can answer: It goes under the driver's seat. In regards to what will fit, peruse the FAQ sticky at the top of the Vanagon Forum's main page and/or do a search for "aux battery". Lots and lots of info on what to do and how to do it.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about Bus Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...It goes under the driver's seat....

Or some (me anyway) put it under the rear seat where there is more room and hence more choices in size & brands.

Oh Julian - I figured you for about college age when you asked about bigger/larger fuel tanks. When you get to my age frequent gas station stops are de riguer & most welcome.
Mittens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about Bus Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
...It goes under the driver's seat....

Or some (me anyway) put it under the rear seat where there is more room and hence more choices in size & brands.

Oh Julian - I figured you for about college age when you asked about bigger/larger fuel tanks. When you get to my age frequent gas station stops are de riguer & most welcome.

the less trips I take there the better Very Happy, yah my school isnt far, but when you go 4 times a week AND working, it becomes a toll on the wallet (it seems to rip into flames every times I pull my Visa out for fuel lol)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: