Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality of CV joints for Off Road Use
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Quality of CV joints for Off Road Use Reply with quote

I am looking at buying a set of the 930 CV joints for my Baja with a 091 and 0 X 1 diagional arms, but only find aftermarket brand joints like EMPI and some sold by Appletree.

I hate dealing with Appletree and typically the EMPI parts are junk.

I will not be hammering the Baja off road, no jumping, no high RPM dropping the clutch, but will do a lot of highway use and I want something that will wear well.

What has been your experiance with the aftermarket CV joints?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my empi race prepped cvs are working great, I would go with sway a way axles, I dont trust empi axles most of them are chrome and that weakens them Laughing
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned at all why not try to find some clean used Bus or "930" CV's which I think are on 944's as well?? I would disassemble, degrease, reassemble, regrease and rock.

the 944 cv's and bus cv's are easy to find.

i hate cheap aftermarket parts if a good original can be rebuilt and reused.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CrankySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the stock ones and dont have any problems. Granted I am a fairly tame driver.

I replaced one due to the boot ripping and rocks reaking havoc on my outter joint.

75$ for a stock replacement.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Lobro 930's on my car for 7 years now. Haven't broken one yet. They are stock as well, not prepped.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
If you are concerned at all why not try to find some clean used Bus or "930" CV's which I think are on 944's as well?? I would disassemble, degrease, reassemble, regrease and rock.

the 944 cv's and bus cv's are easy to find.

i hate cheap aftermarket parts if a good original can be rebuilt and reused.

Bus CV's are out, I have 930/T1 stub axles.

The 944, 924, T2, 181 and T4 CV's are basically the same, (fit the same flange). The 930's are sizeable bit larger and offer more articulation.

Been looking for used 930's for awhile with no luck, that is why I posted here to see how others are doing with the aftermarket 930's and if they do anything special to them to make them last longer.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lobro cv's on my car, no problemo, but it hasn't been driven in a year Shocked
wibaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the ones on ebay that a guy from oregon sells. a set of 4 new german 930 cvs for 160. I have been contemplating buying these but I am not 100 percent sure. His feedback is excellent and he has sold tons of these. What do you think?
wibaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at them on ebay and now they are 275 for 4. Genuin lobro german 930 cvs. Maybe the other ones were not lobro.
sandfan43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quality of CV joints for Off Road Use Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I am looking at buying a set of the 930 CV joints for my Baja with a 091 and 0 X 1 diagional arms, but only find aftermarket brand joints like EMPI and some sold by Appletree.

I hate dealing with Appletree and typically the EMPI parts are junk.

I will not be hammering the Baja off road, no jumping, no high RPM dropping the clutch, but will do a lot of highway use and I want something that will wear well.

What has been your experiance with the aftermarket CV joints?
I know 2 different people that it took 3 times through ups to get a matched set of cv"s from appletree, then axles werent right.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

German Lobro's are what I have and been working great even under a few hard launches with the turbo buggy. One thing to note is the extra weight of them kills the Super Diff. An extra carrier bearing can be installed in the side covers or you you can switch to a Quaife Diff like I did and avoid all that.
Rancho can do the extra bearing.
You can also get lightened ones like the ones sold by Meckenzies for offroad use.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
bdkw1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Empi units are junk. Either GKN or Lobro. A little polishing in the right places goes a long way..........
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: