Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 15's. My second set. Very quiet. Very smooth. Great in the wind. Don't
Know exact mileage of first pair but it was way above any other tire i've had including Agilis. best tire i've had on my van in the 15 yrs i've had it. Highly recommend
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 15's. My second set. Very quiet. Very smooth. Great in the wind. Don't
Know exact mileage of first pair but it was way above any other tire i've had including Agilis. best tire i've had on my van in the 15 yrs i've had it. Highly recommend
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ursaworks on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ursaworks wrote:
The 215/60-16 geolanders worked very well on a 2wd on the north rim of the grand canyon.

You Volks are using Passenger tires on a Vanagon. imo, you would be wise to upgrade to Light Truck tires.

Here are the specs for the Yoko Geo ATs 215/60/16, rated 95H…
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Y...;tab=Specs

imo thats too low, but I know many people survive under rated tires.. but thats mostly out of ignorance. So Im letting you know.. imo you are using underrated Passenger tires. Just my opinion, I know lots of people get away with passenger tires on a Vanagon.

here is some recent discussion
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611240&start=20
tlbranth wrote:
Well, since the pressure seemed more a function of what weight was on the tire than anything else, I emailed all the information I had to Toyo. They just called me. They gave me a 30/40psi recommendation but added that they didn't think this setup was safe because it was only a 4-ply tire. They recommended I not use this tire and buy 6ply tires as recommended by VW.

here is the tire tibranth has (note the load rating is 102, much higher than the 95 rated geolander above, and yet Toyo told him not to use it....)
215/65R16 102H
Traction A
Temperature A
Max load 1874lb
Max pressure 50psi
tubeless extra load steel belted radial
plies: tread 2 steel 2 polyester 1 nylon
sidewall 2 polyester
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I wouldn't use a 95 rated tire. But the original post was about the 215/65 which is a 98 and sufficient for the van. I had several of them and have the Firestone destination in a 98 now. It does better in Colorado than the bfg at. Anyone using a 95 rated tire should at least keep them inflated and check the tread and sidewalks from time to time and don't use them for 10 years.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I wouldn't use a 95 rated tire. But the original post was about the 215/65 which is a 98 and sufficient for the van. I had several of them and have the Firestone destination in a 98 now. It does better in Colorado than the bfg at. Anyone using a 95 rated tire should at least keep them inflated and check the tread and sidewalks from time to time and don't use them for 10 years.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
the original post was about the 215/65 which is a 98 and sufficient for the van.

In Toyos opinion, not even a 102 rated Passenger tire is appropriate:
"they didn't think this setup was safe because it was only a 4-ply tire."

but, Im not going to go any further on the topic, do whatever makes you happy
mapleridgeclint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16? Reply with quote

Reviving this thread. Any feedback from those of you with the 215/60/16 tires? Do you wish you went with the 65's? Any issues or concerns as per Jon Slider's comments? I have not been able to find a single complaint about these tires in this size so I'm guessing theirs are holding up well. About to pull the trigger this week and can't decide between the 60 or the 65 (stock '91 westfalia engine) Anyone have any recent pics they feel like posting?
mapleridgeclint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16? Reply with quote

anyone? Very Happy
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16? Reply with quote

I'm curious too! I will probably get new tires at the end of the Summer and these are on my shortlist.

84 2WD vanagon with Subaru EJ25, limited slip, lift kit, etc.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16? Reply with quote

Since you're short on responses, I'll tell you that I rejected - after considering - Geolander 215/60 16s, mostly due to the sub-standard load rating. I'm running Nokian 215/60 16 WR G3s (second set after replacing those that came with the van) and love them! They don't look as rugged as the Geolanders but they're quiet and offer terrific feel and handling characteristics. My Vanagon tech has commented that they're very quiet relative to other tires he's driven on his customers' vans. If you must have the Geolanders, go with the 65s and higher load rating at the cost of deleveraging some engine torque.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Yokohama Geolandar a/t s 215 65 16? Reply with quote

I have been on 215/65/16's for a year now and have had no problems. Good on the highway, great on gravel/dirt and look good. May go with the BFG next time just because they look so damn good though.

Stock 2.1L and 4 spd.

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: