Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed smog, missing EGR?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Young Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Failed smog, missing EGR? Reply with quote

All right, I took Stella blue in today for a smog check and failed. hardcore. He said its missing an EGR system Emissions gas recycling? what the heck is that and why do i need it? what can i do to avoid putting one in to get it to pass ?
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need it in California.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iducH4Rv9lg

Cool explained by robotic teachers

"Si quiero estar encabronado
hazte a un lado...cabrón!"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is it?
is it manual or automatic?
Is it Federal or California emissions originally (door pillar or shipped to from M-code)?

here is a thread recently on an EGR off a 1978. Not all are the same.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0
The Young Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1979, automatic transmission and a 2 liter engine with barely 6000 miles on it
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook me dude, I had to go through all this shit when I smogged my bus. I would say call me, but I just drowned my phone in acetone. We need to figure out what this guy who rebuilt your engine did with the emissions parts, and if worst comes to worst, I'll let you use my emissions parts for your smog test.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: EGR Function and where to buy parts Reply with quote

The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system lowers Nitrogen Oxide emmissions, so called NOX emmissions, by lowering the peak combustion temperature. From what I have read on this and other sites, you will need to have all the components installed to pass a visual inspection during the emissions test, but there is a practical reason to have it functional (that is - lower peak combustion temps = lower cylinder head temperatures = longer engine life)

I have managed to scrape together most of the parts I need to make a functioning EGR system on my 78 2.0ltr Bus, but I still can't find the linkage rod from the valve to the throttle. If anyone knows where I can get one of these, I would be most grateful.

To make a functioning system you will need the following:

EGR filter - available new @ busdepot.com for about $120
EGR Valve - Only available used, but they seem to be plentiful
EGR plumbing - this would be the pipe from the filter to the valve
EGR valve to throttle linkage - should be available used somewhere?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Function and where to buy parts Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system lowers Nitrogen Oxide emmissions, so called NOX emmissions, by lowering the peak combustion temperature. From what I have read on this and other sites, you will need to have all the components installed to pass a visual inspection during the emissions test, but there is a practical reason to have it functional (that is - lower peak combustion temps = lower cylinder head temperatures = longer engine life)

I have managed to scrape together most of the parts I need to make a functioning EGR system on my 78 2.0ltr Bus, but I still can't find the linkage rod from the valve to the throttle. If anyone knows where I can get one of these, I would be most grateful.

You need to test the egr valve to be sure it seals in both directions when closed and doesn't leak air theu the gasket into the plenum.

You will also need to make sure the egr injection tube in the plenum is clear.

If you need gaskets they are $45 a set from top to bottom and I maybe have one set left to sell, however you can reuse old gaskets with red silicone. Make sure the one next to the valve has a metered orifice still.

The new EGR filters are just as empty as the old used ones, at least mine was. You can soak in carb cleaner, wash out and blow out if they haven't rusted thru.

I have no idea of the condition. Also VW76Westy (Raul) may have one.
They do come up from time to time. I just sold my last spare one with a whole EGR setup. Here is one listed in classifieds. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=751272
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: egr Reply with quote

PM sent to you regarding EGR parts
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Function and where to buy parts Reply with quote

What size / diameter is the metered orifice gasket? Mine was plugged with a bolt and the gasket was missing.

thanks

SGKent wrote:
69BahamaYellow wrote:

You need to test the egr valve to be sure it seals in both directions when closed and doesn't leak air theu the gasket into the plenum.

You will also need to make sure the egr injection tube in the plenum is clear.

If you need gaskets they are $45 a set from top to bottom and I maybe have one set left to sell, however you can reuse old gaskets with red silicone. Make sure the one next to the valve has a metered orifice still.

The new EGR filters are just as empty as the old used ones, at least mine was. You can soak in carb cleaner, wash out and blow out if they haven't rusted thru.

I have no idea of the condition. Also VW76Westy (Raul) may have one.
They do come up from time to time. I just sold my last spare one with a whole EGR setup. Here is one listed in classifieds. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=751272
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: egr gasket Reply with quote

The holes are 9.90mm or 25/64 in. for the EGR TUBE
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: egr gasket Reply with quote

Hmm, last night I found a part number on a micro fitch somebody posted on Samba and it says for that gasket 3.8mm right next to the part number. The part number is 039 131 599A

Any idea or comment on it?

old DKP driver wrote:
The holes are 9.90mm or 25/64 in. for the EGR TUBE
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: egr gasket Reply with quote

Yes there are 2 metered sizes 3.8mm and 5.5mm

i measured the egr pipe opening to the valve

try www.autoatlanta.com

they show an 039 131 599A & 021 131 599A

perhaps 1 of them is 3.8mm
The Young Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys she passed smog the second time! thank goodness its over
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Young Dude wrote:

this year - make sure you find all the parts as they will get harder and harder with time to find.

Quote:

one is Federal and one is California. I had the 3.8 mm ones made as part of the EGR gasket kit figuring some one could open the 3.8 mm one up to 5.5 mm. I sent part numbers and where to order them to Ron at Bus Depot and Scott at German Supply.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in California buddy. Fortunately for me I don't think they can even spell emissions in Georgia.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which size is the CA version?

SGKent wrote:
The Young Dude wrote:

this year - make sure you find all the parts as they will get harder and harder with time to find.

Quote:

one is Federal and one is California. I had the 3.8 mm ones made as part of the EGR gasket kit figuring some one could open the 3.8 mm one up to 5.5 mm. I sent part numbers and where to order them to Ron at Bus Depot and Scott at German Supply.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Which size is the CA version?

SGKent wrote:
The Young Dude wrote:

Quote:

3.8 mm
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EGR system is missing, also. We are the original owners of our 78 Westfalia, and I do not recall any service facility suggesting to me that it has been removed. So, I can't blame the previous owner.

Where are all of these missing EGR systems going? Why are they being removed?

Keith
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmmcdonald wrote:
My EGR system is missing, also. We are the original owners of our 78 Westfalia, and I do not recall any service facility suggesting to me that it has been removed. So, I can't blame the previous owner.

Where are all of these missing EGR systems going? Why are they being removed?

Keith

Since you are the original owner you would be in a better position to know this.

The units inject exhaust gas (inert) which lowers combustion temperatures resulting in less NOX emission as well as an added benefit in an ACVW of lower head temps. The 1979 models I think did away with them and they returned in the Vanagon. Sometimes when the exhaust or EGR filter needed replacement the shop removed them as the owners did not want to pay for the additional parts. Some states had smog exemptions for years when parts costing more than a certain amount were needed to make it smog legal so the car would be waivered. Today that is becoming less and less as states are tightening down on violations, especially in states where air quality fails to meet legal standards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: