Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 bus paint resto
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: 72 bus paint resto Reply with quote

well I got tired of my bus sitting in my garage knowing it needed a total resto, so out came the sander and I went to town, 60 grit orbital sander is what I had, did one side, drivers door to the nose, then here comes the bondo about 1/2 inch thick with the thickest in the middle took my grinder with a 40 grit sanding wheel, so the bondo is gone and so is the paint, yep down to metal and some og paint but mostly metal.
so my questions is while I'm working my way around, what should I do with the exposed metal.? I plan on epoxy then filler then hi-build then paint.
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I know this question is redundant, but I'm hoping I get info and advice and make wise choices for my situation. this is my fist restoration and I want this bus to last and not look like crap in 6 month's.

Ospho after striping while i am doing body work, till I'm ready to poxy paint??????? is this a wise choice.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta be careful with that stuff under epoxys...they sometimes react.

get her to metal,do what you can and tape it off and spray it with epoxy to hold it down...you can re open the epoxy at any time and do your filler work etc right over it then hit it with either an epoxy again (in case your not 100% happy with your work) then if you are happy with your body work hit it with hi build

but try not to leave the hi build for to long as it is porous and will eventually soak in any and all water ...but by putting the epoxy down first it will at lest keep the metal from blisting any fillers.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks schell, iv read a few of your posts here in paint/body and you look like you really know your stuff. how will I know if ospho will react with the epoxy I'm using, cus iv already sprayed ospho on the exposed metal, how should I neutralize it before epoxy,
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...i would just say pre clean it and shoot the epoxy in a non important area...wait to see if there is a reaction...like a day or 2...then try sanding it...

the epoxy is not meant to be sanded but you can with caution...dry sand it with a d/a on a 320 grit..if it peels off and doesn''t feather edge out...thats your reaction...no adhesion.

if it does feather edge an doesn't lift,peel or wrinkle your should be ok.

you could also call the tech line of the products and see what they have to say.

good luck!!

flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, pre-clean it with what would you recommend, thanks again Laughing tiring to do it right .
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me...m600 from sikkens..it drys slow which allows you to really dig in and pre clean to the depths.

you can also grab napa brand or the like...as long as it's real pre cleaner and not just som e alcohol dirived product...once you happy try using a non paper towel type of towel..like a micro fiber straight out of the package,soaked in pre cleaner...wringed out then use...this will not let the "towelette" fibers from the paper towel to imbed into the surface.

then make sure you grab your self a real tack cloth..one tht have a "puff" capability and not a flat slimey feel to it...like the gerson blues..try a sikkens or a ppg cloth whcih has this "puff" quality when opened up and spread out

good luck!

flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so the last few nights iv been sanding the body and removing the undercoating with my hf air neederler , oh so much fun. But the underbody is looking good. and the body is looking great, iv been getting good at sanding off the paint down to the og white, with only the spots with rust or old bondo going down to bare metal.

my question is ; since there is allot of og white still there can I spray the expoy over that or will it all have to come off, the whole thing down to bare metal before the epoxy or can it go on over some og paint. all input welcome.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have sanded it down to Good original paint, so I would epoxy right over it!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok , so I would say body is 80% sanded but I sill have to sand the roof and around the windows that are out , except for the front door windows, and I have searched the samba and it don't look easy,,and I didn't really find to many good examples, any tips welcome (front DOOR windows and trim removal), also I am looking for the best undercoating products, I removed all I can with my air needler, now I want to order some under coating, I read a little about wax-oil , here on the samba and it sounds good for the rails on the inside , then maybe; por15 ,rust-bullet and I think there are one or two others that would be good under my bus , please recommend if you know a good under coating product.

Last edited by flex71 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....to take the front glass out and NOT cut the gasket for removal should be left to a glass guy..or cut it out and replace the gasket as this makes better sense seeing as your repainting it...why throw an old gasket in it?

flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the front windshield out , Ive got to pull the Door glass and the shiny trim around the front doors, looks hard to get out, and i am sure removing the vent glass isn't to fun either. any info welcome Smile
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah shouldn't be a prob...they come apart much like beetles.

panel,glass,rubbers,window mech.. then the vent window etc...if i remember correctly.

flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for tips and advice so far ,, im still looking for the best undercoatings, ready to order online now. What would be the best for the frame rails and under body of the bus, now its been air needle offed ,, pointers please.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Always buy my auto paint/supplies locally, but I would order the Master Series undercoat system.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now some more nood questions 4 ya,, i got the master series and under coated the bottom and have been hard at it sanding the body to bare metal with mostly 80 grit ,, now I still have lots of body work to do . I want to get it in poxy ,, and open up one fix at a time cus this is taking me ages,, so do I NEED TO SAND WITH 240, 400 OR any other paper other than the 80 before I wash clean and tack cloth the body before I spray the poxy primer???
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bus in sanded with 80 grit , mostly to bare metal,, Confused

do I NEED TO SAND WITH 120, 240, 400 OR any other paper other than the 80 before I wash clean and tack cloth the body before I spray the poxy primer??? input please. Question
flex71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is kinda a stupid question but some info would be nice; see previous post; all sanded with 80 grit, after a good wash then wax/oil remover can I spray the poxy primer, or what??
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: