Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

wow !!! love how you faded in the front roof section. great interior too! see you in HO Ben !
'56 Oval og paint og chrome og everything
burwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

WEL-Gel! Wink

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Out and about after finally sorting a few more little things like bolting on the OG paint front bumper, some mirror arms that we made up with the Hayburner guys, cleaning the windows Cool etc........

Knocked up a camping interior, and sourced a 1954 vintage Esquire calendar to add a little something to the side panels. Maybe one day they'll be stock but for now I think they work pretty well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hanging with friends ........

Feels very odd being "Hessich ready" so far in advance! Makes a change from the usual last minute builds!!

Great photography! Think I don't have to repeat that "great bus". We all know how beautiful the bus is!!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
split65wbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Applause great work !!
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Really pleased to get my own write up used for the VolksWorld Camper&Bus feature this month Very Happy Great photos too!!

burwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Thats gotta be satisfying after all that hard work!

Braukuche wrote:
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

very nice

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ian macdowall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Looks great Ben, nice to see it in print Cool
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Well deserved, Ben. Appox how many hours of work, including just plain staring at it, went in to this Herculean effort from start to finish? Folks considering similar projects will likely be very interested in what it takes, even for guys that know what they are doing Shocked
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Hey Ben, Is that camper set up something you made? I would be interested in something like that for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

I actually cheated a little and found a tired and rough home made interior for sale which had been built for a split bus. Dad and I stripped it down, fettled it a little to fit, then cleaned it all up and stained it. The cushions just needed a good scrub. Saved me some time, energy and money starting from scratch!

As for hours into the bus ..... I have no idea how many hours I have in the welding in the end, or in the mechanics and reassembly, but I know that on top of this I also spent a great deal of the last 6 years chasing parts and figuring this thing out. My advice to any sane person would be not to attempt a project of this scale. As for me ...... well I get bored easily I guess so there's always a "next" one ready in the wings Cool
burwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Next one!?! Pics Very Happy But yeah man, take a break and drive for a while first! Very Happy

Braukuche wrote:
Mike1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Well Ben, I've finally found your thread and read every page on this amazing bus, so no more stupid questions from me about it Embarassed

It was a pleasure cruising with you to Hessisch and back mate, the looks yours and Marks buses got on the road in Germany was priceless Shocked Laughing

One of the best buses at HO17.

Here's to the next road trip ... Cool

Quality Sound deluxe by Mike, on Flickr

Quality Sound Samba by Mike, on Flickr

Taking a quick spin in the legendary Kohlruss, what a view! by Mike, on Flickr

Corner window envy by Mike, on Flickr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

It can't get any better than this! Shocked
lovely !
'56 Oval og paint og chrome og everything
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Well I thought I should update this thread as I've done a lot of miles in QS this summer ......... and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of driving her Cool Cool

For once we managed to stick a fair few miles in before our first big trip abroad. It helps when the sun is shining and you live near the coast!

and then June was upon us ......... Hessisch here we come!!!!

We took a nice slow cruise there with a few friends which was lovely

via BBT's open house .........

and of course the BBT cruise ..........

Out for a cruise with Chez & Scotty, with Ron, Maurice and Doug along for the ride ...........

What an amazing trip. Just awesome!!!!!!!

(Not all of these photos were taken by me so thank you to any photographers, and if you're not happy with them being posted here then please shout and I'll pull them)
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Next up was Le Bug show at Spa racetrack in Belgium. We do this show every year and this time was as good as ever. Great times with great friends ...........

(Not all of these photos were taken by me so thank you to any photographers, and if you're not happy with them being posted here then please shout and I'll pull them)

Lots of miles and no real problems except two caused by silly metal work mistakes Confused First off we lost some gears at Hessisch. Turns out the cab floor hadn't been welded to the chassis properly around the gear stick mount area. My friends Oli and Ben at BeetleMagic kindly stepped up and fixed this for me with a repair section fabricated by another good friend and metal guru, Mark Spicer. Big thanks to all three ........

Next up and one of the skylights worked its way lose on the way to Spa. A very strange occurrence but upon removal it seems that the new KlassicFab inner was installed incorrectly meaning that the rubber had no inner lip to bite on to. Another fix by Oli and Ben got me out of trouble on my return to the UK so thanks to them for fixing this one too.

Last edited by busben on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 am; edited 2 times in total
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

After these couple of fixes, and many, many miles driven across Europe, we felt it was time to get the bus back in the workshop, give her a service , and go through the bus from back to front and top to bottom with a full "shakedown" year under our belts. Nothing else to report though except that the bus has held up well and looks as good as it did when we first got it on the road over a year ago, but we did decide to make a few little improvements that have been niggling me for a while ............

First up we decided to blend a little more paint on the long side. I'd kept this as found originally, partly to prove its heritage, but I've decided that this area was a little too gnarly for the bus and think it looks much better this way. I added some old beauty rings all round too which I think help lift the whole bus.

Secondly I finally received the decklid that I bought months ago from Ken King in Canada. This lid has travelled across Canada to a friend of mine, Eric Cleland, and then in a bus he sold to a guy called Joost in the Netherlands. Joost, a proper gentleman, then hand delivered it to me at Spa. Big thanks to all involved!

Thirdly, at Hessish I took delivery of a replacement passenger door from a guy called Gerald Schulz. Just to make things complicated Gerald lives in Austria and we'd traded for the door. A barndoor deluxe dash area and heater tube was part of the deal, which I purchased from Skim in the States, and he then got it to 10' Doug who in turn posted it to me. It all worked out perfectly so thanks a lot to those guys too, and I think that it suits the bus really well. Interestingly the colour matches way better than the slightly later post-barndoor door that we'd used originally. It fitted straight on too. What a win Cool

Lastly I finally managed to get my repro front seat upholstered to match the rears. I know it's not correct, but I like it and think it suits the bus well.

I guess these old buses are continually changed and improved but I really like where I am with her at the moment. Sadly though I am going to put her up for sale with a view to probably selling either my Jan '51 kombi or Quality Sound. I love both of these very different buses but probably don't have room for them both in my life right now. Maybe I'll change my mind but for now ........ expect an advert soon and feel free to contact me if you're interested in either.
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

just found this resurrection this weekend. flat out awesome job.

my SO says someone needs to put together a stop-motion movie showing it going back together. Wink

...if I had a spare house to mortgage, I'd snap this up in a heartbeat and roll it to NDBS 2018. Smile
...david - '66 SO-44 #231
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

Thanks David Cool You're not the first person to suggest a time lapse video or something similar to show one of my builds. Might be a cool thing to do, especially given what I usually start with! To be honest though I'm bad enough at remembering to take photos sometimes. Maybe the next one eh Wink

'60 Kombi "A1 Mobile Locksmith": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...locksmiths
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle Reply with quote

'60 Kombi "A1 Mobile Locksmith": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...locksmiths
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: