Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality Sound 1954 Barndoor Deluxe Puzzle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben. Nice!!!
Was wondering what you did with this one.
This update has given me a much needed kick in the arse to get one of mine progressing again.
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
Ben. Nice!!!
Was wondering what you did with this one.
This update has given me a much needed kick in the arse to get one of mine progressing again.

Isn't it about time one of them progressed into my garage? Laughing Wink

Don't forget our conversation on the ferry back from Ben Pon, you are driving one of those over to the next one! Cool
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demian_S wrote:
Nice updates!!

Do you have any pictures, before it was butchered?

Hi Demian,

Thanks bud. Sadly and despite all my searching I have no pictures of it before, and no real history Crying or Very sad All I know is that it was cut up in Angwin in the 1980s after a small rear ender and has the "Quality Sound Service" logo on the front. You'd think someone would know something or have an old photo hidden away in their stash. Maybe this thread will get people talking and turn something up. Fingers crossed but no luck so far!!

Last edited by busben on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placed an ad for parts or information ..............

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1746331

Someone must know something of this old deluxes history surely? Just one old photo would make me very happy Very Happy
nco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dawerks"]
busben wrote:

Ohmygod! I'm so glad it's going on a Barndoor Deluxe! (My heart literally skipped a beat when I saw it!) I've always wanted a BD Deluxe, and I'm super stoked that you're going to be able to use it Smile

/I'm putting this in my feedback unless you say otherwise!

And shipping from Canada is super easy. I'm glad you got it picked up, I forgot about the clip until you emailed me back. Will be watching closely and good luck with your project!

Oh yes, the obligatory, I am very envious!! Very Happy

dawerks wrote:
Wow, that's alot of replaced metal. What is original on it? 5-6%?

That much replaced metal means there had to have been some flexing at some point.

Seems like it would've been easier just to build a 'Gerson Special', tack on the BD plate,
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nco wrote:

That much replaced metal means there had to have been some flexing at some point.

Seems like it would've been easier just to build a 'Gerson Special', tack on the BD plate,

What are you talking about ? Evil or Very Mad
First of all, we have respect here for other person's projects, especially when somebody is trying to save as much og metal from a long lost cut up bus.
second, considering surface area, the front and lower sides will make at least 20-30 % of a bus, not talking about saving most of front and rear frames, firewall, header panel, wheelwells aso.
If you are interested in BD restorations you will understand how far just a few people will dare to go.
So please think again about your first ever posting and then come back to join any of the great build threads on here! Exclamation
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, all original paint
'55 Oval Sunroof project with my son
'56 Oval og paint og chrome og everything
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your energy G. Some loser with a grudge against JP 'cos of his comments on another unrelated thread opens a new account to start bitching on this thread. Ignore him mate. His opinion, whilst irrelevant anyway, really doesn't matter. Hey, we made it to page 3 without some prick hating. And he's not even brave enough to use his usual username Sad On with the build (but thanks anyway dude Wink )
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nco wrote:

Seems like it would've been easier just to build a 'Gerson Special', tack on the BD plate

I think this is a legitimate opinion. It shouldn't be shouted down. No need to call him a prick (whoever he really is Laughing ).
You know, there is/was no chassis. No decklid. No cab doors. No cargo doors. No roof. No windscreen surround. No interior. No real window apertures.
Argue you corner with intelligence & civility.
It's an interesting discussion. And it made me smile!

I like the project. I like watching it from the outside. It's fascinating.
I love the fact someone has the balls to take it on.

Similar buses that come to mind:
Barclay's dove blue 52 panel
Ken King's dove blue 54 kombi
Gerson's dove blue 54 kombi
Numerous Colombian BD slogs
The Duraclean Standard

And perhaps:
Mark Spicer's Kohlruss?
Rob's 51 Deluxe?
Ben's previous project, the 51?

Would I want to own the finished article?
And if I did, how much would I be prepared to pay?
Interesting questions to ask yourself.

I've noticed a lack of comment from our American brothers.
What do you guys think?

My personal opinion is that BDs that have ever deteriorated below a certain point (4 out of 10?) have a value limit when rebuilt. But maybe that's not what really matters. And time will reveal more.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken his quote is from a completely different thread and his suggestion is merely that JP is displaying some level of hypocrisy loving this build whilst disapproving of others. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick RS, although I do agree with the sentiment to some degree, hence my efforts to use every bit of OG metal available. If he or she was questioning the legitimacy of rebuilding this bus then I would be happy to entertain the discussion, but my interpretation is that they are merely hijacking this thread to try and score points against JP. It is upon this interpretation that I based my decision to call them a prick. For the record I stand by my decision.
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
ace!
i'm gonna go for yes

especially as both critical numbers are there
og paint & signwriting swings it too
as we all know there are much worse resto projects all around

Furthermore I should clarify that the OG chassis exists. I am using the front and rear sections in this build as you can see, but replacing the centre section like almost every BD project out there. The centre chassis also exists and is available to me but logic dictates that it isn't really useable and therefore not worth shipping to the UK. The drivers door is also OG. Ok so it's not as nice as your deluxe but I guarantee that it'll be on the road first and driving it to shows with my friends is what's important to me. This is a pretty good example of why I avoid these build threads and get on with actually enjoying my buses. Why the negative vibes dude? C'mon. .......... surely we all get off on seeing these things back on the road?

Last edited by busben on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
nco wrote:

What are you talking about ? Evil or Very Mad
First of all, we have respect here for other person's projects, especially when somebody is trying to save as much og metal from a long lost cut up bus.
second, considering surface area, the front and lower sides will make at least 20-30 % of a bus, not talking about saving most of front and rear frames, firewall, header panel, wheelwells aso.
If you are interested in BD restorations you will understand how far just a few people will dare to go.
So please think again about your first ever posting and then come back to join any of the great build threads on here! Exclamation

NO way affiliated with either "da werks" or "nco" but I knew I had seen that post elsewhere, its from here...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7483709&highlight=#7483709 I guess the mystery poster was trying illustrate the diversity of da werks's reactions to similar builds?

Anyway, It must be nice knowing you have the skills and experience to pull something like this off. I for one look forward to seeing the finished product and have no doubt, looking at your previous builds that you can do it. Hats off to you for stepping up and saving this one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love seeing projects like this ben:-)
And it always seems to be you putting something Bonkers together!!
Got another 2 years to find myself a bd project to build for hessisch and then let the late night build offs between me you and Dai continue!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Matt said: I love seeing what you are doing here Ben, what you started with, how you are sourcing mostly og parts form all over the world, how these are being assembled, how you are solving the issues this all throws up - hats off to you! (and that dash is just to die for!!!)

I really hope someone comes up with some history on the thing too - was it a US delivered bus? If not, where did it spend its early years?

Have you got a birth certificate for it and has that thrown up anything?

Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress please - for me this is one of the most interesting threads on the internet right now Smile

Cheers,

Dave
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, is there a need to bring every big build thread to its knees about value? Is that really why we take on these daft projects? No. It's some daft gland inside a few of us that looks at remains of a forlorn bus and thinks 'Yes, that needs to go back on the road!'

I can't explain it with my projects, and certainly can't justify the hours and money they take to track down, but and fit the parts, straighten twisted metal and finish the goal of driving them, but I still do it, and commend anyone else that does.

It would be cheaper and easier to buy a better project needing less work and parts, but that's not what we are about. Misguided and misunderstood, we will continue into the early hours until we press that button and pray we make the ferry one more time.
matthew smith1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting to see a build thread on rock stocks bus... Oh and to see him drive one Wink
There are a few of us that just enjoy the build! Putting busses back on the road that everyone else laughs at and walks away from! I'm looking at my next project now! If bens getting abuse from this then I'll keep it under wraps until I'm DRIVING to hessisch! Smile
Keep up the good work boys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy

Otahuhu - Yeh, thanks, I knew I'd read it somewhere, and it was evidently posted as a quote, (I think poor old RS struggles with these things although he was a teaching assistant for a time. Very worrying Very Happy ) Funny that this tatty old cut up bus probably will have more OG metal left than one that was driving a few years ago, but that often happens with full on restos. Each to their own though. I like 'em this way Twisted Evil

Bally, all I know is that the dealer sticker on the dash says "Jerry's Imports. 529-6232. 1419 10th St, Modesto" and that some guys out Yreka way cut it up in the 1980's and sold off a lot of the parts at old SOTO meets. The guys were into buses, and apparently had lots parked at the side of the road at their place for years. They seem to have bought it off a guy from Angwin after it was involved in a small rear ender. Still waiting on the birth certificate although I doubt that'll tell much more.

And to my 2 fellow bus-building idiots. I too look forward to staying up late and building buses for the next Hessich ready to all drive there together with all our other supportive and like minded bus driving friends. Far nicer than flying there on easyjet all on your own, while working out if the current increase in value of your never-started bus project would have allowed you to upgrade your seat Wink

Cheers all!
Panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwagens wrote:

I can't explain it with my projects, and certainly can't justify the hours and money they take to track down, but and fit the parts, straighten twisted metal and finish the goal of driving them, but I still do it, and commend anyone else that does.

Of course you can Very Happy some of us need this way of building a project and some just need BLA BLA BLA on forums or Facebook ect , the most important thing is to have FUN and PLEASURE.
For you, it is not sure to buy a fully restored turn key show car will be fun.
It will be good but not fun Wink

Congrat Ben keep your feeling in this good way and see you soon on the road
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boys, I didn't want to start another argument about originality or making sense of such a cut up project. Whatever 'nco' wanted to tell or just quoting another member, neither thing is what we would call behavior on here.
Somebody has to say something, he should stand up and do so. Wink

Since we all are totally mad and lost in the subject anyways, it is just great fun to see how different BD restos can be. some are startign from og paint rustfree cars, others show great patina, some are thrown together just so, and again there's projects like this DLX or Mark's KRSS.
I love to see shit like this, so go on with the thread Ben, please. Very Happy
I have personal trouble in life, that some of you know about, and that is the only reason why I haven't come up with a major project or finished an early one to drive. But it is the only thing that keeps me motivated. just driving that thing on the streets in a legal state. And I need a truck to haul my junk around. That's what I will do. looking forward meeting you all on the road! Cool
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, all original paint
'55 Oval Sunroof project with my son
'56 Oval og paint og chrome og everything
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Rolling Eyes How sad it has been brought down to this. I try to hold the ideal that everyone is entitled to an opinion and to voice it, but when I hear people say what Matt has said...
matthew smith1 wrote:
I'm looking at my next project now! If bens getting abuse from this then I'll keep it under wraps until I'm DRIVING to hessisch! Smile

It makes me very sad to hear. Can't wait to see these buses finished,but I for one REALLY love following there progress step by step on these threads. It's inspirational. A finished bus dosesnt inspire as much as knowing the history of the ups and downs, ecstasy and agony of bringing them to the road.
Don't be put of guys. It's your threads as much as your buses that lead others to save the unsayable and mean we ALL have more buses to enjoy today.

This build is nothing but awesome. Keep up the good work -and the thread- Ben. Applause Pray Applause
norman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdown Dirty Rat wrote:
Oh dear. Rolling Eyes How sad it has been brought down to this. I try to hold the ideal that everyone is entitled to an opinion and to voice it, but when I hear people say what Matt has said...
matthew smith1 wrote:
I'm looking at my next project now! If bens getting abuse from this then I'll keep it under wraps until I'm DRIVING to hessisch! Smile

It makes me very sad to hear. Can't wait to see these buses finished,but I for one REALLY love following there progress step by step on these threads. It's inspirational. A finished bus dosesnt inspire as much as knowing the history of the ups and downs, ecstasy and agony of bringing them to the road.
Don't be put of guys. It's your threads as much as your buses that lead others to save the unsayable and mean we ALL have more buses to enjoy today.

This build is nothing but awesome. Keep up the good work -and the thread- Ben. Applause Pray Applause

Thanks for posting your build Ben! (and anyone else who post builds on the Samba) I appreciate seeing your hard work trying to put these old girls back on the road.

Like the old saying "haters are going to hate!" Don't let RS or any other hater stop you from posting progress. You inspire all!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: