Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Thing Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank0306 wrote:
anyone have a stock 74 muffler system? I have the empi, it's loud, but functional....Sam W, insulate that oil line from the heat. Mine burned through on the 210 freeway in la, thought I caught on fire the week after putting the new motor in, thanks to my oil pressure gauge I shut down before my engine dumped two quarts of oil...went to stainless to avoid future meltdowns...

I have a stock '74 muffler on my car. In my opinion its pretty loud for a stock muffler but much quieter than the Monza set up the PO had on the car.

If you have ever heard a Beetle or Ghia muffler without the tips on that is what the stock '74 muffler pretty much sounds like.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hank0306 wrote:
anyone have a stock 74 muffler system? I have the empi, it's loud, but functional....Sam W, insulate that oil line from the heat. Mine burned through on the 210 freeway in la, thought I caught on fire the week after putting the new motor in, thanks to my oil pressure gauge I shut down before my engine dumped two quarts of oil...went to stainless to avoid future meltdowns...

A real VW brand exhaust system (1974) will be nearly impossible to find and very expensive.
I bought mine at the VW dealer parts department and spent about $100 for the 3 piece set......that was almost 30 years ago, in 1983! Today, the sky's the limit.
It's louder than a standard Beetle but not by much.

Good luck, Mondhsine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the tri-mill and can't talk to my wife while going down the road it's so loud--so sad--looking to get a tuck away muffler type also some rust coming from under the ceramic coating--all my neighbors hear me! Yellow 181
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: