Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Studs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Wheel Studs Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I need to install wheel studs on my 74 thing and have read about the SAW 8030 and 8040 studs. Do you realy need heavyduty studs for normal street crusing? is this something that I could get at the local parts store and not pay shipping? Do you need the 2 different sizes or will one size work for both front and back? While replacing wheel bearings I noticed some of the screw in studs they had on it was not straight a little more investigation and some are striped or almost striped out.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have studs in all 4 of mine. I just took the drum to the local VW shop and had them drill and press the studs. Nothing heavy duty about them. I like them as it makes it much easier (at least for me) to take the tires on and off.

I tried drilling and pressing one set myself and actually cracked a drum, so take care if you do it yourself.

jay
Thing_Man73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayC wrote:
I have studs in all 4 of mine. I just took the drum to the local VW shop and had them drill and press the studs. Nothing heavy duty about them. I like them as it makes it much easier (at least for me) to take the tires on and off.

I tried drilling and pressing one set myself and actually cracked a drum, so take care if you do it yourself.

I have found it much easier taking the tires on and off also. I just bought the press in 14mm studs from an Auto Parts store and they work just fine. It is a good warning about cracking the Drum 'I did it' and had to buy a new one. I took it to the machine shop and they cracked one and replaced it with a good used one at their expense. Wink
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you drill out the threads with a 37/64 drill bit before trying to press them in? I will try and find a machine shop but running out of time to get this done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled mine out and pressed in 14mm as well. I also welded the backs for extra support. I then switched to front disc. Now the front drums are for sell at a fraction of what I paid. I would totally recommend changing. In my opinion they are stronger and as said before the wheel is so much easier to get on and off.
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason not to use 12mm studs? Appears they use them on Hondas and corvettes and 12mm was the stock size. Everything I have read seems to talk about 14mm studs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: