Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporter SINKA body resto and paint Sneak Peek
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Transporter SINKA body resto and paint Sneak Peek Reply with quote

It's been 16 months since some fool ran a red light and dinged my truck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nathan and the crew at Apex Collision in Shelton WA worked with me to fix it right....

and boy oh boy did they ever!

They also went after the minor seam rust like possessed demons, replaced a rusted wheel arch, replaced the treasure chest door gussets with OE metal from old nose and much more detail stuff, then repainted the original color.

(That's a genuine Hurst Shelby "GT 350H" Mustang being painstakenly massaged in the reflection.) Edit: That's HERTZ not HURST!

Now comes the fun part of putting it all back together!

Many thanks to Nathan Wood and the entire Apex Collison crew. These guys love to do restoration work on classic vehicles and it shows.

More photos will follow as I slowly put it back together as my budget allows. Maybe I need a $pon$or or two like the NASCAR guys.

Last edited by turbotransporter on Sun May 08, 2011 5:44 am; edited 3 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purty Cool
I love the color Wink
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Looks brand new! Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, what Michelins are those in the bottom picture with the Shelby reflection? Model, load, etc?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporter SINKA body resto and paint Sneak Peek Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:
That's a genuine Hurst Shelby "GT 350H" Mustang

It is a Hertz. A rent-a-racer.

Not anything to do with the shifter in the car!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local Hertz rents '60s era muscle cars r39o?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Your local Hertz rents '60s era muscle cars r39o?

Used to when those cars were new.

http://mustangs.about.com/od/1966mustangmodelprofiles/a/1966-gt350h.htm

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Good! Very Happy
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Favorite Vanagon! I would love to have a Blue Sinka. Nice work, cool to see a old VW on a modern Frame Table! Carat wheels look great on there also.

Tony P
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Nice. I have always thought that the best part of restoration is when the body is all stripped down with perfect paint and you get to start putting it back together. Its amazing how much time it takes to put them together, every piece has to be made to look perfect and adjusted just right. I have always said that you need to allow at least an hour for every screw, nut, bolt, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transporter SINKA body resto and paint Sneak Peek Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Hey, what Michelins are those in the bottom picture with the Shelby reflection? Model, load, etc?

DougM

They are Michelin Agilis, Load range D and way too stiff for a Sinka unless I've got 500 lbs in the bed though no worries when I have had 1.3 metric tons back there.

r39o wrote:
turbotransporter wrote:
That's a genuine Hurst Shelby "GT 350H" Mustang

It is a Hertz. A rent-a-racer.

Not anything to do with the shifter in the car!

You are right... My brain knows it was "Hertz" but my fingers miss that "5 on the floor". Wink

xoo00oox wrote:
....Nice. I have always thought that the best part of restoration is when the body is all stripped down with perfect paint and you get to start putting it back together. Its amazing how much time it takes to put them together, every piece has to be made to look perfect and adjusted just right. I have always said that you need to allow at least an hour for every screw, nut, bolt, etc.

Yes, it's going to take a lot time. I spent over two hours installing the fuel filler trim; cleaning the old parts, test fitting, making a crude tool to allow me the leverage needed to turn and lock into place...

All the OK looking trim parts I removed before resto now look like doo doo next to the shiny truck so I'll be doing a lot more cleaning and painting plus I definitly need to window rubber.

Truth be told, Apex Collision did a fantastic job and I love how nice it looks BUT it will be hard to use as real truck now. Maybe I'll feel better when I find the first ding/scratch. Laughing

Last edited by turbotransporter on Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, can't wait to do a proper body resto to my girl in a few years. I love the SinKa's, there is something that is just super cool to them.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet. It's nice to know I have a quality body shop just up the road from me. I'd never heard of them.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Very sweet. It's nice to know I have a quality body shop just up the road from me. I'd never heard of them.

Nathan wants to build his business the right way... By word of mouth. He's already got a excellent rep with the classic Mustang crowd with a show winner under his belt. And the Mustang people are picky-picky about details.

Check out the Apex facebook page. It shows more photos of my truck, an over the top Westy resto plus a few other non-VW projects.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Apex-Collision-Services/154435581250634

They also do insurance work but their main focus is classic cars. I had trouble finding a high caliber shop that was interested in my truck and that I trusted. I was a general contractor for many years and I can smell BS a mile away. One visit to Apex and I was hooked. These guys are the real deal, NOT posers and I would trust them with any year, any make, any model. Another semi-local restorer brought an early air cooled Sinka into Apex for paint but I didn't get a photo of them together Sad

Straight talk, honest estimates, excellent communication, and they can actually do what they say they can do. Weird, huh? Rolling Eyes They also keep all their customer's vehicles indoors with a security system.

If you are considering a pre-summer facelift or a complete windows out restoration, call Apex asap to get into their schedule.

Last edited by turbotransporter on Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
mwolf5682
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo,

Is that original enamel paint or did they go to a clear coat strategy?

Thanks
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwolf5682 wrote:
Turbo,

Is that original enamel paint or did they go to a clear coat strategy?

Thanks

Not original enamel. It's a Sikkens water based product with multiple coat of clearcoat. They spray the color and clearcoat then bake it in their $100K state of the art spray booth.

This is from the Apex web site.

"Apex Collision Services is proud to announce that we are the newest Akzo Nobel Ecological Ambassador and have switched to Sikkens AutowaveŽ, an ecologically friendly waterborne paint system. Offering high quality and performance, as well as substantially less VOCs than conventional paint, Sikkens Autowave allows us to help protect the beauty of the environment while maintaining the beauty of your vehicle."

I'm sure Nathan would be happy to share the details if you called him, he's very open about the entire process.
mwolf5682
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it looks so good, sort of like that fresh wet enamel look, the really deep color and shine. The water based system sounds interesting. Is the color coat water based and the clear coat VOC, otherwise you would think it would have no VOC.

Using acrylic varnishes has made a believer out of me with regards to stepping away from solvents. Hopefully, it wont be too long and this technology will end up in our garages at home. I would paint every spring if it didnt smell up the neighborhood. Think how nice it would be to clean the gun with water and soap.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they do anything special for the seams? The paint always cracks there, I have to think that if there is a prime coat in those areas which has some flex to it, then the cracking would go away permanently.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sinka owner myself I'm glad to see another get repaired/restored and back on the road. Very Happy
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
Did they do anything special for the seams? The paint always cracks there, I have to think that if there is a prime coat in those areas which has some flex to it, then the cracking would go away permanently.

It is my understanding and personal observation that they cleaned out all the seams behind the cab as much as possible without disturbing the welds as part of the rust "search and destroy" mission. Then they ground any surface rust to bare metal, replaced any missing metal with new metal, then treated the formerly rusted areas with an acid rust treatment, primed and sealed the body, scuffed the primer and thoroughly washed the body, dried the entire truck in the 100+ degree paint booth, then filled the seams with seam sealer before painting.

My instructions were to focus on preserving the body FIRST, then do the paint work. If there were budget considerations to be made it was in the paint work, not the prep! I didn't have them paint the bed itself because I'm going to apply Raptur Bedliner on it and on the inside of the gates.

I'm thinking a medium grey colored Bedliner would be nicer with the blue than high contrasting black.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: