Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: 40hp question Reply with quote

My daily driver is a numbers matching '79 Beetle with a factory 1200cc 40hp. It runs perfect but uses oil although really doesn't smoke.
At what I think is 28,000 original miles I'm going to go through only the top end as end play and oil pressure are perfect but wanted to have all the parts on hand so I wont tie up the car for weeks.
Does anyone know if the late 40hp engines (D case) still use the copper sealing rings at the top of the cylinders and what clutch (180mm or 200mm) do they have. Thanks

One last question that has me stumped. Just to the right of the fuel pump on the right side case flange (between the gen stand and fuel pump) there is a Triangle stamped into the case. Within this triangle is stamped 1.5. Thie car gets over 32mpg around town and had proper 40hp heads with the tiny intake manifold and 90 degree flange. The cars top speed is WELL in excess of any 40hp I've ever had (137kph on flat ground on the speedo, with GPS showing 85mph) and the mid range power is great.

It doesn't look like the engine has ever been out as it still has white paint markings on the studs. This is a Ex-German Army beetle and assumed it was a simple 1200L until I saw the 1.5 stamp and having it act so un-40hpish.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know! That appears to be a 34 series carburetor, did 40 hps ever come with that? I also thought that 40 hps used the stale air heating system, of course being a 1979 they probably went to fresh air. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help! Good luck.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: