Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Aluminum Bumpers??? $$$ in cost for weight reduction?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Custom Aluminum Bumpers??? $$$ in cost for weight reduction? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to get some bumpers for my 1984 Westy.

I see lots of options for steel ones. There are some really nice ones on the net, but they all seem so big and heavy. Engineers: Is the weight savings enough that I should consider a custom aluminum bumper?

What are the thoughts of the collective on getting aluminum bumpers for the Vanagon?

On cowboy rigs here in Wyoming, there are some $pendy options for the front of say, an f-350 or some big Dodge hauler, but not really for something like the Van. Really nice looking stuff, sorta like this, but NOT nearly as heavy duty:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

???'s and thoughts? After five VWs (two busses, one Vanagon, a beetle and a bug) the thing that really makes me paraniod is body work. I can fix almost anything, but really want to protect the front and rear of the bus from everyday mishaps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fancier aluminum alloys will give you more strength per pound than the run-of-the-mill steel alloys which I suspect most people use for steel bumpers. However, the fancier aluminum alloys can be expensive and also difficult to weld strongly. The total difference in weight is unlikely to be meaningful on a 4000# van or worth the considerable extra cost.

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alloy bumpers (Roobars) are the standard in Australia...and it does make a huge difference to the way the vehicle drives...not having all that weight up front, especially if you drive marginal roads
I would suggest shopping some of the Oz offroad equipment importers in this country
www.flickr.com/photos/mmbrown/2753675167/
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there is a weight savings but seems almost pointless when you're already hauling a stove, refrigerator, tank of water, etc.

Handling, too, may improve without lots of weight up front -- but again, this isn't really a well-balanced sports car.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put steel australian ARB full bullbars (the big ones) on my LandCruisers. Just because, I weighed the factory bumper I removed and related hardware and then the new ARB bumper and hardware. I had a net change in weight of 58lbs - or less than adding an extra battery for my vehicle. I'm a trained vehicle developer and could barely detect the difference.

Doing the same for a steel Vanagon bumper such as the well regarded Go Westy bumper would probably add half that (smaller bumper, no upper bull bars, less structure, etc). So let's say it adds 30lbs to a Vanagon for a steel bumper. I'd say you could save 1/3 that by using aluminum but I'll be generous and say 1/2. So going with an aluminum bumper you could save 15lbs, or about the weight of a box of CDs and a pair of hiking boots.

So, if someone's got an attractive alloy Vanagon bumper out there to choose between it and the Go Westy bumper then you would have a way to evaluate it. But if it's going to mean having a custom aluminum bumper fabricated, you'd be hard pressed to justify it.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bumper is heaver than some of the ones out there and it still handles well with the stiffer spring rate I put in the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest bumper I ever built weighed 98 lbs. Over the headlights, full front protection and spare tire skid plate also incorporated.

I don't think is that big a deal. Just me.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra weight involved is a much bigger deal than some of these folks are suggesting, because of the placement of that weight at the edge of the van.

200 lbs of weight that's in the middle of the van has a much lesser impact than that same weight put out on the ends.

These bars below that are on my van weigh about 100 lbs each, and while I really like them, the effect they had on handling was immediately noticeable and not in a good way. Rolling Eyes

The guy I bought them from felt the same way, and switched to the gowesty bumpers.
I'm thinking of doing the same.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple but light maybe an oem option in za?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 3 from SA photos look like they'd fall under the category of "damage multipliers". An impact at bumper level that would normally be absorbed by damaging the bumper structure might bend those things back and bash the upper sheetmetal, headlamps and possibly even the radiator. The frame tips will also easily be bent upward - a type of damage alone that often requires an insurance total. So you have light damage all over the place instead of heavier damage down low in a straight back direction where the structure is designed for it.

They need an upper support to be effective, and/or a lot more frame connections.

Bumpers are a tricky business and a lot goes into the design of the front end around the structure that holds them and disburses the impact energy. Tacking on something like that which sticks out the furthest and will take the brunt of an impact requires thought and engineering.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skylightguy has some aluminum bumper version in project,but I don't know when they'll come out though.I'm waiting for them since he told me that when we met a few months ago Confused
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW bumpers can't weigh more than 35 or 40 pounds each. They are surprisingly light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed some GW bumpers that my customer ordered and the whole package including the box weighed 127 lbs.
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember it's not just what the new GW bumper weighs, you're taking off some lbs as well when you unbolt the old bumper and rubber strips and any brackets or other parts that may not be needed.

If steel bumpers weigh only 40lbs, then the changeover's likely not even adding 25 net lbs to a Vanagon.

DougM
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Those 3 from SA photos look like they'd fall under the category of "damage multipliers".

thats what i thought. wonder why so many were fitted in s.a...regulations?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the wacko governments in many countries are requiring front ends on cars be designed "pedestrian friendly" these days. So these structures may have been an early version of something similar. Look closely though and you'll note differences in construction which tells me they are not likely a factory VW option.

DougM
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Believe it or not, the wacko governments in many countries are requiring front ends on cars be designed "pedestrian friendly" these days. So these structures may have been an early version of something similar. Look closely though and you'll note differences in construction which tells me they are not likely a factory VW option.

DougM

Right.

That's why the front grill as been modified noticeably on Audi a few years back.On all cars sold on Europe actually.

When I see bike carriers on front of city buses here,that makes me laugh pretty good. Laughing
MSwart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
Those 3 from SA photos look like they'd fall under the category of "damage multipliers".

thats what i thought. wonder why so many were fitted in s.a...regulations?

Did a quick search and could not find the relevant legislation. I see many of those on the newer vans (2.5 and 2.6). Anything approved by the SABS should be OK according to our legislation - do not know if it would conform to US standards. Closest I could find from a good manufacturer is this - http://www.bosalsearch.co.za/source/web/step02b.php?mot_id=2272&criteria=5. Or try searching yourself - http://www.bosal.co.za/AUTOMOTIVEPRODUCTS/Aftermarket/Towbars/tabid/2231/Default.aspx.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find on the Bosal catalog Cool
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the location of the wt. reduction does matter

wt. removed from high on the vehicle is most important (roll)

wt. added or removed from the ends will affect yaw and the moment of polar inertia

BUT more wt. at the ends will make the vehicle less likely to initiate a spin

OTOH, it will make a spin more difficult to correct, once initiated

the other thing to consider in a vehicular diet, is the cost to reduce the wt.

e.g. replacing all the plywood cabinetry in a Westy with Al hexcell material would be great but not cheap (unless you do a lot of dumpster diving at Boeing or Lockheed)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: