Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Confused: "Incorrect" fuel injectors... killed my
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Confused: "Incorrect" fuel injectors... killed my Reply with quote

Hi all... been searching here and elsewhere but can't figure out my problem. Any help/thoughts would be very much appreciated!
I have a '90 syncro westy that I replaced the fuel injectors but I didn't know I had a 3 ohm injector until it was too late.... haven't been able to start the van since. Fearing that I did some damage I reinstalled my original injectors to run some tests from the Bentley and pro-training digifant guide.

Currently don't see any kind of injector pulse rather only a steady 'open-state' when the engine is cranked so they spray fully at all times. I tested one of the injector's wiring plug with an LED and it confirms no flickering only a steady ON condition.
Unplugging the electrical plug from the injectors, cranking engine, no fuel is leaking from the injector so it doesn't appear to be a fault with the injectors themselves.

Performed several Bentley/Protraining tests but one note-worthy test was from page 114 of the Protraining Digifant guide.... testing the total resistance of the injector circuit fails. I don't see any continuity between pins 12 and 14. They go on to say that if this fails I should replace the harness.
How can this be since the van had been running before this? Did the lack of resistance from the new injectors allow a surge and fried a wire somewhere?

I've also checked the fuel "power supply relay" (next to the fuel pump relay) but don't think that's at fault. At this point I'm really not sure what else to check, or what to think about they supposed failed ECU wiring harness .
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pulses from the ECU mean that the ECU is not generating them.

Substitute another ECU.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

You think it's unlikely it is the harness between the two components as the Bentley suggests?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That test step 5 of pins 12 and 14 is not valid for your year harness, 1990. Bentley diagrams show that in later years the FI harness had some small changes and that is one of them. The test procedures were written earlier and not updated.

If you look at the diagram for 1987 you will see that pin 12 and 14 connect through the injectors but the later diagrams show there is a relay wiring change. You can still do the measurement of step 5 but use pin 87 of the FP relay socket and pin 12 of the harness connector, ignore pin 14 for the test.

EDIT: It is very possible that you fried the injector driver transistor in the ECU.

Mark

zippyslug31 wrote:
r39o wrote:

You think it's unlikely it is the harness between the two components as the Bentley suggests?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:
r39o wrote:

It was running.

You put low impedance injectors in.

It did not run.

You put the old injectors back

It still does not run.

You now get no pulses.

I seriously doubt the wires are bad, you did not draw that much current.

You only get 12v at the injectors or 100% duty cycle.

That means you have connectivity.

Ohm out the harness if it makes you happy, but I seriously doubt you drew that much current.

Sub out the ECU it is the only thing in the schematic connected.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated ECU is gone BTDT sorry Sad
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ECU's quite often here on CL. Call around to the local shops as well. They should be able to dig one up for you. Always V-Dub has a big stockpile of used parts.

Here's one ad:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/2362492200.html
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I see ECU's quite often

With so many of us removing wbx engines, many of us have spare wbx related parts. My Multivan had the (coveted?) D ECU in it that is now just sitting on the work bench. It should not be a problem to get one close by.

zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

While I suspected (feared) it was the ECU I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. At this point I have a call in with the supplier. Not sure what they are going to say regarding this seemingly incorrect injector and if they are willing to replace my ECU in some fashion. Think I'm in for a big fight but trying to keep an open mind. Also good to know that I can find a used one for not a lot of money.

I don't want to name names, but I'm really surprised that a "knowledgeable" vender would send me such an incorrect part. When I talked to them once before they claim they've sold many of these without the slightest problem.

Does anybody know if any vans had ECUs with resistance packs that could handle the 3 ohm injectors... or should I assume they sent me completely the wrong type of injector?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound like an ecu failure. used ecus are a crap shot, The old one in my van styill ran, but it had an intermittant issue, had to replace it, got a good reconditioned / tested one from vancafe. also recommned there ecu tester either buy it or rent it, it will help diagnois all sort of probelms to be found on an old van. my van had several issues that the ecu diagnositc tool found, now she runs better than ever.

good luck
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
...from vancafe. also recommned there ecu tester either buy it or rent it, it will help diagnois all sort of probelms to be found on an old van. my van had several issues that the ecu diagnositc tool found, now she runs better than ever.

If you are talking about this:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_820
Then yep, have one installed. Love the thing and it gave me clues straight away that I wasn't getting an injector pulse. Good tool to be sure!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 90 Syncro should have a D series ECU.
Check all the retailers.
I have them in excellent tested used condition if needed.
They are pricey.

dylan
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... why do I specifically need the "D" item... I understand them to be all the same?

Not sure what company you are with and don't mean to start any sort of us-VS-them but curious what you make of this:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_590_1211/ecu___electronic_control_unit___rebuilt.html

Also, $225 doesn't seem all that expensive to me considering the part. Am I missing something?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: heres one Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ESELX%3AIT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: