Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top insulation. You can do it!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished making a new set of quilted pop top insulation. I used quilted fabric and reflectix bubble wrap.
I used my Franchers R4 kit as a pattern, Just traced the pieces out on the big roll of reflectix and cut it up.
Did the same for the fabric and sewed it all together. The fit is snug and tight and I have it installed now,
and I have a 1500 watt heater going. Want to see if it can hold the heat it once it gets to temperature.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Finished making a new set of quilted pop top insulation. I used quilted fabric and reflectix bubble wrap.
I used my Franchers R4 kit as a pattern, Just traced the pieces out on the big roll of reflectix and cut it up.
Did the same for the fabric and sewed it all together. The fit is snug and tight and I have it installed now,
and I have a 1500 watt heater going. Want to see if it can hold the heat it once it gets to temperature.

Link

Great job Tim, So how much did it cost you to make that. Can you get it in white color?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total cost for all the materials was around $100. I've had the Reflectix in the basement for over a year,
so I figured it was time to make a little thicker insulation. Wlamart had an Off-white as well as a pale
blue material in addition to this red. I would like to have bought black or grey but no dice.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!

Question, where does everybody keep these Reflectix panels when not in use? I keep them on the top bunk, large panels folded in the rear and some of the window ones stacked on the folded section.

Just curious. Thanks
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: insulation Reply with quote

It certainly has a "padded room" look to it Tim! Smile Not that you need it,you haven't been "officially" diagnosed yet! hehehe

Seriously though, what about the roof area? Anyone ever try attaching a thin layer to the underside of the fibreglass? I would think that would make a huge difference...

B

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking to my friend "Canvasguy", he sent me a link to make a covering for the poptop opening.
Just one more way to keep the heat in without losing it thru the closed poptop. I'm sure you could make
one from Reflectix and or some quilted material. Here's the link from a Richard Jones in Colorado.
http://jones.colorado.edu/VW/FleeceBarrier/
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
That looks great!

Question, where does everybody keep these Reflectix panels when not in use? I keep them on the top bunk, large panels folded in the rear and some of the window ones stacked on the folded section.

Just curious. Thanks

I store the Reflectix panels in the roof top box so I don't think TimWhy's quilting would add too much of a problem. What size does the Franchers R-8 fold up into in comparison? Is the Reflectix necessary and would the quilting be enough and still allow it to store in a smaller package?

Nice job TimWhy. Can you say 'REDRUM'?
ADas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Would anyone have the dimensions for this insulation kit for a '95 European winnebago camper? I'm guessing that the size of the panels won't be the same.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

It's very hot now to think of winter insulation but my to do list is so long now that I'm planning ahead (no more than one project a week!). This is an amazing mod that will keep me busy this fall after I'm done with the new canvas curtains. I'm not sure about some of you but I'm reticent about drilling holes in the van (in fiberglass or metal). Don't get me wrong, I'm not against it as I have done it for Jack Bombay's struts and will do it again soon for the sliding door screen but I like to keep these holes to a minimum. They are often necessary.

For both curtains and the pop top quilt insulation I will try to use rare earth magnets. Those magnets can hold a lot of weight! For the quilt I will have to glue a couple of narrow strips of stainless steel to the lip of the pop top, but I still prefer that to the drilling. I will post images when done!

Thank you all for sharing!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

figborg wrote:

For both curtains and the pop top quilt insulation I will try to use rare earth magnets. Those magnets can hold a lot of weight! For the quilt I will have to glue a couple of narrow strips of stainless steel to the lip of the pop top, but I still prefer that to the drilling. I will post images when done!

Thank you all for sharing!

Stainless steel isn't magnetic (or minimally so) - you'll have to use some mild steel strip. This can easily be painted to suit. Wink
Freerange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:

Pre-drill the hole for the male snaps on the pop top edge. Use Stainless screws in the male snap. Again, plan
carefully as you only get (1) try.

Thanks for the idea! I'm wondering though, when you're drilling into the pop-top, are you drilling a pilot hole all the way through to the outside? Or is there enough thickness to the pop-top that you can drill a small hole partially through? Then use a short screw, while still getting enough threads to hold the male snaps in for a while? Thanks!
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I wonder if this new one from CVC requires snaps (does not look it). I may have to get one now that the pound is weak.

http://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-vanagon-westfalia-roof-thermal-wrap/

Winter is coming...
chris_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I like that a lot.. both rain fly and insulation in one.
Description doesn't clearly say how it attaches though.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

chris_d wrote:

Description doesn't clearly say how it attaches though.

CVC responded to my question on Facebook: "all it needs is a bungee along the back edge. Very simple and quick to install."

It costs 89£ to have it shipped to the a East Coast. I may get one, it would save me from doing the work with the Reflectix and ever buying a rainfly.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I vote for insulation solutions that go on the INSIDE.

I MUCH prefer using the reflectix solution by the OP, plummerdesign, to anything that goes on the outside.

In my experience it is very unpleasant to set up and take down a wrap on the outside while it is snowing or raining. No fun storing the dripping wet wrap inside either.

It is also dangerously slippery trying to climb up to get the outside wrap attached to the outer front of the pop top.

imho it also Looks really tacky to have a foil face wrap around the outside of the westy..
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

I MUCH prefer using the reflectix solution by the OP, plummerdesign, to anything that goes on the outside.

... No fun storing the dripping wet wrap inside either.

imho it also Looks really tacky to have a foil face wrap around the outside of the westy..

I agree if the intention is just to insulate but some people may want to use it to insulate and keep the rain out. In that case the rainfly is also cumbersome and eventually wet.

I was seriously considering making my own and I still might but I like the idea of killing two birds with one stone...

I do agree that the taco top is not aesthetically ideal but camping is not (always) about looks.

I figured I would share this option here as another solution, though I think plummerdesign's template and instructions are excellent. Love to see people share their knowledge and ideas. This thread is a great example.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Is CampervanCulture the only vendor that makes exterior insulation? I like the idea that it could serve double duty as a rain fly. Would love to purchase something without the $80 shipping charge...
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Is CampervanCulture the only vendor that makes exterior insulation? I like the idea that it could serve double duty as a rain fly. Would love to purchase something without the $80 shipping charge...

This is the cheapest I could find. I got it for Christmas but haven't set it up yet. I suppose you could also make your own following the template for the interior one as described in this thread. The exterior one just has more of a bottom lip so the rain does not get in. No snaps.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figborg wrote:
some people may want to use it to insulate and keep the rain out.

Rain gets in your westy?Smile

I look forward to your Rain testing success with the wrap.

Ive camped in Snow more than I have in rain. Snow does not get in without a wrap Smile

baltik wrote:
I like the idea that it could serve double duty as a rain fly. Would love to purchase something without the $80 shipping charge...

fwiw
The DIY option this thread is about, costs less that the price of shipping the one from the Old World. You could make one for the outside yourself and get an upholstery shop to sew it together. Whatever Rocks your Boat.
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Curious if anyone has had a chance to try out the CVC thermal wrap? GoWesty has been out of the rainfly (Wasserstopper) since before October 2016 and we want to be able to do some rain/cold camping with the top up.

Total price shipped to Oregon for the CVC wrap is about $265 USD. The GW rainfly is $150 without shipping, and I'd still have to buy and cut my own interior thermal insulation. I also like that you don't have to install any snaps or hardware. I do so many projects myself that sometimes it's just nice to have someone else do it for you Very Happy Tempting...

figborg wrote:
baltik wrote:

This is the cheapest I could find. I got it for Christmas but haven't set it up yet. I suppose you could also make your own following the template for the interior one as described in this thread. The exterior one just has more of a bottom lip so the rain does not get in. No snaps.

Last edited by WestleyTheWesty on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: