Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top insulation. You can do it!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
Curious if anyone has had a chance to try out the CVC thermal wrap? GoWesty has been out of the rainfly (Wasserstopper) since before October 2016 and we want to be able to do some rain/cold camping with the top up.

Total price shipped to Oregon for the CVC wrap is about $220. The GW rainfly is $150 without shipping, and I'd still have to buy and cut my own interior thermal insulation. I also like that you don't have to install any snaps or hardware. I do so many projects myself that sometimes it's just nice to have someone else do it for you Very Happy Tempting...

figborg wrote:
baltik wrote:
Is CampervanCulture the only vendor that makes exterior insulation? I like the idea that it could serve double duty as a rain fly. Would love to purchase something without the $80 shipping charge...

This is the cheapest I could find. I got it for Christmas but haven't set it up yet. I suppose you could also make your own following the template for the interior one as described in this thread. The exterior one just has more of a bottom lip so the rain does not get in. No snaps.

I don't have the CVC insulation top but do have the GW Wasser Stopper. I'd say go for it and get the CVC unit, it looks as if it will do the same at keeping the canvas dry with the added bonus of keeping the heat inside the Westy.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

depends whether you want wet canvas or wet wrap to store

imagine its 10pm and Dark out, you just arrived at camp, the wind is Howling, and Rain, Hail, Sleet or Snow, are blowing sideways.

You pop the top
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now, what would you rather do, climb up on your window sill, in the Rain, Sleet or Snow? In your wet, muddy, or snowpacked boots?:

or stay inside where its warm and dry, and keep your boots clean?

next the pros and cons of outside or inside wrap during a rainstorm.. inside, youre dry both ways. If you wait for the rain to stop and the sun to dry your wrap or canvas, when it comes time to leave, either one will be dry.

If you have to leave while it is raining, then with an outer wrap, you have to go outside, in the rain, and then bring in a wet wrap, which you could probably dry off with a towel. Now youve got a wet towel inside your van, in the rain.

Or, with an inside wrap, you have to stay warm and dry inside, while you fold away your dry wrap. Then you lower the top.. yeah, its wet.. but you dont also have a wet towel too Smile

Sooo, why would you pay extra to go outside in the Rain, Sleet or Snow? To keep your canvass dry?

You could stay dry and have inside insulation, for less than the cost of shipping the outer wrap.

the inside insulation is by far the least expensive option. and imo interior insulation is superior to exterior in regards to setup issues.

Otoh, I dont know how hard it is to get a wet poptop canvas to dry out after being used in the rain.. I respect that could be a priority for some areas.. keeping the canvass dry, at the expense of having to install an outside wrap in the rain.

Choices are good. I hope you have a great time Using, whatever gear you bring, to go camping.. Post pics!

me overnighting in the employee parking lot at Squaw in 2010, with a Fanchers exterior wrap (and a Propex Smile)

WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Realized I should check with Fanchers to see if they offered an exterior thermal wrap and they do!

https://fanchers.com/shop?olsFocus=false&olsPa...-1980-1992

Cost is $270 shipped to Oregon with a bag that can store behind the upper bed.

Requires installing velcro above the front pop-top window, but otherwise seems fairly similar. They say there is a 2-4 week lead time since all items are made to order.

Just another option to throw into the mix.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
Fanchers

Requires installing velcro above the front pop-top window

The Velcro is super easy to install, it is adhesive backed

The Velcro makes it possible to install the wrap before extending the roof to full height, that means you do NOT have to climb up on the window sill like with the CVC (that is a Major concern for me)

Also the Fanchers covers the back part of the canvas completely, the CVC does not

I vote Fanchers for both reasons, if the goal is to keep your canvass dry and you want to use an outer wrap
ejimmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
GoWesty has been out of the rainfly (Wasserstopper) since before October 2016 and we want to be able to do some rain/cold camping with the top up.

Thats a bummer!

I agree with Jon_slider regarding the difficulty of putting on exterior protection in bad weather. It can be a real challenge and continually reminds me of how old i am getting...it is especially entertaining with ski boots on. I have been thinking about adding some grab handles to the luggage area to hold on to. I have also found that having the top partially open is helpful for snapping and unsnapping (gas popup struts help with this to hold the top in place). I am able to snap the wasserstopper in place by standing on the upper door jam with the door open with this method rather than the open window method.

I would do the interior insulation and wait for the wasserstopper to get back in stock, Im sure they will have them in time for summer Laughing . Then you will have the best of both worlds.

The other benefit of the wasserstopper is that you can use the front area as a vestibule witch is particularly handy in the northwest for gear storage when things are wet but not necessarily cold. You can use it in the winter but its a pain unless you sew a zipper in to your insulation.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Here's a few pics showing the measurements from the finished insulation.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I have used both the GW WS and my insulation at the same time and they work great at keeping the inside dry and warm.

Ideally I think I would like to have the insulation on the out side of the canvas. I do not see any difference between putting on the WS in crappy weather or putting up the exterior insulation. I have put the WS up in pouring sideways rain and I and the canvas have gotten soaked.

Maybe install the outside insulation as you would the WS, I don't know if the Velcro will hold it in place before you raise the roof but I know that snaps surely would. Installing it would be just a system that you would have to practice at to get it right, as anyone with a WS would tell you.

In all the years that I have had my WS I don't think I have ever used the luggage rack while it was attached. BTW the inside insulation front section can roll up if you did want to use the rack for storage.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Purchased the CVC insulation almost a year ago and have been satisfied with it. I added Gypsy snaps to it where the GoWesty Wasserstopper would snap to the top of the poptop. I am able to use the GW WS and the insulation at the same time.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Following are the teamplate size for my 83.5 early Westy with staple install tent.... Possibly these are different sizes that the later version the template in page 1 shows?

I made the hight 1/2 in taller to allow for press fit to avoid the installation of snaps. This also allows for tight for along the bottom to avoid the cold draft to sink in the foil... Ever notice the cold that descends under the van closed curtains?

If the press fit doesn't hold, I'll install tabs with duct tape that would press into the raised side vents on the pop top... Of that dude do it, I'll duct tape rare earth magnets to the foil and screw in large head screws along the top.

One can get two Vans done from one 25ft roll if drawn out before cutting

Cutting was easiest with partially open scissors pushed along the drawn line.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea! I plan to do up a set for my '78 Westy some time soon. Woulda been nice in Colorado back in October.

...Anyone happen to have measurements for a late Bay?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

based on my experience where my actual measurements were SEVERAL INCHES different than the cited....and that the measurements are so easy to make...I'd suggest measure yourself and have this done under na hour.

The cool thing with the $35 25ft roll is that if you screw up the first side, you have enough material for 3 more chances Wink

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
based on my experience where my actual measurements were SEVERAL INCHES different than the cited....and that the measurements are so easy to make...I'd suggest measure yourself and have this done under na hour.

The cool thing with the $35 25ft roll is that if you screw up the first side, you have enough material for 3 more chances Wink

Can confirm. I messed up my first cut. Too short. I plan to do another cut, combine the two together.
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Here is a drawing to guide the pop top insulation cuts Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
Hey all,
The insulation does work great, but seems to be some question as to how it cuts. Please reference this drawing which should help visualize the project a bit better.

Are these dimensions the same for the Eurovan Winnebago Camper poptop?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I cut insulation panels for my Bay (I see I had commented about dimensions a couple years ago above) last year. It was actually pretty easy.

I started out with a roll of 48 inch wide Reflectex material. Measured the height inside of the pop top at the bottom end in the back and made a mark on the material. Then measured the distance between the middle of the back and and where it starts angling up and made a mark. Then measured from the back corner to the front corner and made a mark, and from there measured and marked the highest point. Connected the high point to the corner representing the low point. I added a few inches on the front ends for overlap. Cut that out and had a side panel. Made another exactly like it, and had two side panels!

For the front panel, I cut a piece the size of the width, then shoved it in there and used a marker to mark the curvature of the top of the pop top, and the curvature of the metal Bus roof.

Relax, it doesn't have to be perfect! You can trim a little if you need, and a little extra helps pressure-fit it in place.

For mine, I install the side panels, allowing them to wrap around the front a little, and then install that front panel. It is all held in place with pressure fit and the lift bars.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

This looks great! Been viewing it on my mobile device where do I get the roll of insulation at?

Thanks
Rustednuggs
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

rustednuggs wrote:
This looks great! Been viewing it on my mobile device where do I get the roll of insulation at?

Thanks
Rustednuggs

Home depot is where I got mine, lowes also likely has it. in your area Menard's also may have it. then any hvac supplier.

rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Ok cool thanks alot. So it comes in like a 3ft wide roll?

TY
Rustednuggs
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

rustednuggs wrote:

TY
Rustednuggs

The rolls come in several widths, I'd suggest the 48 inch one.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

rustednuggs
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

rustednuggs wrote:

TY
Rustednuggs

1 if you're an in-person person you can go to the store to see the size available to the diagram nicely provided in this thread and your measurements of your van

2 if you want to be sure they have needed size before you go, they have this awesome website www.homedepot.com that will show what they have and they even offer shipping if you don't want to go to the store

3 if your next post is about one of us picking up the material, coming over and cutting and installing this DIY project for you, I'm declining such invitation ahead of time Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: