Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum flag pole - dangerous?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking of an aluminum telescoping flag pole to POTENTIALLY use as a satellite dish mount, wind generation or tbd instrument. Plastic or fiberglass won’t work. Carbon fiber is too spendy.

Is this going to get me killed in a lightning storm?
Are there ways to isolate? Ground? Or otherwise mitigate the risk?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Paging Kourt, paging Dr Kourt...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Not really. If a discharge can jump 15,000 meters……

Just make it so you can take it down to break camp.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Is it really any more dangerous than an aluminum mast on a sail boat?

To err on the side of caution.......
Lower it when lightning storms are forecast.

Life has manageable risks, ask yourself if this is one you wish to take on?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue May 03, 2022 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Any time you stick something up in the air, no matter what the material is, you run the risk of a strike. Maybe 1 in 10 to the 17th. Sail boats are struck every year, sometimes with people aboard and everything is usually OK except for any electronics which go bye bye.

Is this going to be car mounted or on a separate pole erected at the site?

You can put a lightning rod on your array with a ground which would work. The car is not a ground. You would need to drive a copper rod into the ground for at least a couple of feet.

Do you have pic of what you propose? If you are in the woods, you will be fine. On top of a butte where you are the highest thing, then not so much.

How often do you have thunder storms with your "dry rain"?

I'd try the topic again with a title which asks the ham radio operators what they do.

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

for wind generation
take a good look at the #'s, there are better ways to charge your cell phones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

I'd be crapping in my pants every time a storm came near if I had a tall metal pole outside my bus. I agree that the bus is safe but I'd need all new pants if a strike occurred anywhere nearby.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Did someone call me?

In terms of the practical applications of a big pole attached to your van, some prior responses have already addressed the limited utility of some of your proposed use cases.

Comparing total system complexity and benefits of wind power versus solar power, solar wins every time.

Satellite dish mount: the extra ten feet of elevation does not gain you anything. Just put the satellite dish on the ground.

Instruments: maybe a anemometer (wind measuring device) for a weather station would have a lower likelihood of data contamination if it were higher, but I can't think of a good use case.

Grounding: you can't win. Let me explain:

If you ground your mast, you do have a more effective system for dissipating the electrical energy potential as a result of wind and other environmental factors, but you also increase your likelihood of a direct lightning strike because you've made yourself a competitor for the path of least resistance.

If you don't ground your mast, you might experience problems due to wind generated static, which may result in little shocks to you and your equipment, but at least you're not presenting an electromagnetically irresistible target to lightning strikes.

We have a saying among the truly experienced in the amateur radio community: there is no effective lightning protection. It basically means that you must accept that a direct hit is catastrophic and its damage cannot be mitigated, near strikes are just as bad, and everything else is irrelevant. There isn't anything you can do, in a mobile application, to realistically mitigate the risk of lightning. People will try to tell and sell you otherwise--don't believe them.

I've included a photo below of our competitive radio ops antenna mast setup. This mast is about 11.5" tall when collapsed and moving, and about double that when extended and parked. We're starting to move towards eliminating it for the VHF contests we compete in, because we already park the van in the highest terrain, and the extra ten feet of elevation are usually irrelevant. So maybe do as I do: just park in the highest place you can find, and retreat from there if there is a lightning risk.

I keep a carbon fiber telescoping mast in the van for raising wire antennas in places where there are no trees, and I use it often, usually in the desert or on the beach when it's not windy. Pawnee Buttes, Colorado, is pictured at the bottom, and is a good example.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by kourt on Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

It’s a fair days work to protect yourself from lightning

And, if you spell it lightening, you get to stand in line behind the dizzy and carby people to get your head bashed in with a shovel.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

I pursued lightening my van by replacing the EFI with a carburetor. The shovel strike was an unexpected bonus.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Kourt's mention of using a grounding rod is spot on.. DO NOT. I was the main tower guy (climber/equipment installer) in a former line of work, building a series of microwave relay locations. My erector subcontractor taught me about it, if you ground your tower, it makes strikes much more likely.

Over the years, the towers I had erected NEVER got struck, and nearly all of the places that were grounded where I located equipment (mostly water towers, and not even on the very top) got hit a lot. Plenty of my antennas were blown to bits, and the electronics in the cabinets were usually all black. Expensive!
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

On a side note, don't bother with a wind generator.
Mine worked great, it charged my solar generator, but it was a major pain to transport and the blades chip very easily which will make it unbalanced and shake badly.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Sail boats are struck every year, sometimes with people aboard and everything is usually OK except for any electronics which go bye bye. Duncan
I have a buddy who was on his boat when there was a direct strike. He was taking a nap about 15 feet away from the mast or any grounding. A very loud noise which he never heard as at that time he was in the process of hurtling 10 feet across the cabin. Ringing in his ears, but that went away within an hour. EVERY SINGLE ELECTRICAL THING on the boat was either gone or a black blob. No residual effects for him and his insurance allowed him to upgrade the electronics.

Do not do this at home...........or anywhere else for that matter.

Duncan
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Dr Court. Great pict!

I hear the advice and everyone’s experience about NOT grounding with a copper rod or anything else. And a few other whispers in there but for Vanagon science I would like to close the loop.

If the aluminum pole was mounted to the roof of the van would the tires “insulate” better, in terms of, preventing a more attractive path to ground?

And dumb question. Why aren’t carbon fiber poles conductive?

Thanks again.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
And, if you spell it lightening, you get to stand in line behind the dizzy and carby people to get your head bashed in with a shovel.

What's wrong with Dizzys and Carbies?

All the BEST Australians have them!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s a fair days work to protect yourself from lightning

I corrected my mistake.
Considering you know where I live the head bashing threat is a very real possibility!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
What's wrong with Dizzys and Carbies?

If with had them we wouldn't be able to complain about Vanagon Syndrome and a host of other issues the D & C people don't have. (Used D & C on purpose to see what snide OT comments would pop up.) '55 Chevy 6. Ran forever with nary a care in the world.

Duncan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

Y'alls stil have a dizzy.. you just lack a points.

well sure d'em engine swappers and bunker burners don't have one..
but d'is thread ain't about them anyways. d'ey already 'special' nuff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum flag pole - dangerous? Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
If the aluminum pole was mounted to the roof of the van would the tires “insulate” better, in terms of, preventing a more attractive path to ground?

And dumb question. Why aren’t carbon fiber poles conductive?

Yes, the non-conductive tires are your insulation. However, if you are in the wilderness, your big metal object (Vanagon) is still an attractive target.

Carbon fiber is conductive, but not as conductive as most metals. You should think of carbon fiber as more resistive. It can carry electrical current, but it will tend to resist it and heat up first.

kourt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: