Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Ancient Mariner wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
Have any of you 1961 owners found an applicable Krylon or similar paint to match the one year only 023 (L468?) "Sand Stone" used on the steering column and brake lever?

Some auto paint places can color match it, if you can get a swatch or large enough piece to bring in, and then you can use a preval spray paint sprayer from home depot to touch up your parts. Preval sprayer are nice for custom matched paint for small stuff.

I did find a rattle can at ACE that is almost a perfect match for the 1961 only "Sand Stone". I used it for the turn lever, shift rod, brake lever and drink holder. The steering wheel is a NOS that had been sitting on a shelf for 53 years. Got lucky with that one! See the results below. This is my '61 Pear White Sedan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anybody been able to find the correct "honey brown" color in a vinyl/plastic paint for use on the mats, shift, and E-brake boot?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Laguna1116 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the "sissy bar" is on a '61 beetle? Thanks

I would guess the sissy bar is the same as the OH %^$# handle above the glove box
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Laguna1116
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Laguna1116 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the "sissy bar" is on a '61 beetle? Thanks

I would guess the sissy bar is the same as the OH %^$# handle above the glove box

Then why list both seperately in the lis of changes?
74volksrodwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

my 1960 euro. Haven't gotten birth certificate yet but appears it was originally black, that's the color I'm finding under this tan. Purchased February 2016 and its been my daily driver ever since. Engine was swapped at some point in its life. I really want to find out all the information I can about it.

28242XX

Silvester
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Nice looking Beetle! Love black with red interior. Just received the birth certificate for our early 61 that we ordered in August. They aren't kidding when the say five months. Very neat to have.

Vw's currently caretaking
61 Beetle - Pastel blue
79 Scirocco - Kolibri Green
80 Scirocco S - Alpine white - Drake built 1.8 W/ Stage II Callaway.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Attended a cool car show at Moroso Performance Products in Guilford, CT, this past October 15th, 2016, and was pleased to drive my '60 Bug, nicknamed "Doug." Enjoyed a nice photo-op next to a positively gorgeous "Christine" that was also at the show...

This past year was quite a bit of fun, rediscovering how much fun Doug The '60 Bug is to drive, following a starter rebuild and hard-start relay install. I also had a lot of fun acquiring and re-doing some of those China-repro "Pre-A" 16" wheels, on which I installed some wide whites, reference: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660435&highlight=

Doug is VIN 2801752, production date December 31st, 1959, and delivered to the USA on January 16th, 1960. Original color (even though a bad repaint by me several years ago that only looks good at 20') is L346 Mango Green.
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CEP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I own a 1960 Beetle painted in its original color, L349 Jade Green. I would like to paint the wheel rims in the correct L442 Swamp Green ("Sumpfgrün").

Does anyone have the formula to mix L442? If not - any pictures that you could post which show the correct color?

Thanks!
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

From AlteWagen:

"Last year for semaphores (domestic market)"
I think the last year for semaphores on Domestic was 57.
Euros had semaphores thru 1960. They are on mine.
(sorry if this is already covered in the thread).

Mats W:
Great looking treatment to your RHD. And thanks for the whitewall info. Cool

From AlteWagen:
"Last year for cast chrome dash trim and matching dash grills (small hole)"

Question
Does anyone know what is meant by "dash grill (small hole)" refers to? Is it the rings behind the dash knobs? Cause mine are either missing or painted. Thanks!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hi Sonoma,

The "small holes" refer to the holes in the dash that accommodate the mounting posts on our solid, cast dash trim.

Our trim is unique in that it is solid cast, with the mounting posts cast as part of the trim piece. The trim is held by fasteners that are pressed on to the cast posts from the front side of the dash, and you may notice that you have three grommets on the inside of your glovebox door. If you pry those grommets out, you'll see the tension fasteners that hold the trim in place.

After 1960, the dash trim changed. It became a hollow, thin, formed piece of molding that utilized spring clips that pressed into larger dash holes- just like the exterior molding on the car.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

My Convertible is rather unique. "Meranda was one of only 12 Convertibles imported into Australia buy Volkswagen Australia. They arrived in August for the 1961 Melbourne Motor Show but they were slow to sell due to Melbourne's Cold winter and the selling price at 1295 pounds 350 pounds more than a sedan. As a result my car was not registered until January 1962 The car has only 3 owners and has never been restored . It still has it's original Number Plates ,original Valve/Transistor AWA radio and Dehne fuel gauge also it has a trip Speedometer. The pan has Vin 3558088 which makes it a December 1960 built but the pans and bodies travelled seperatly to Onsabruk and i believe buy an assemblers tag on the rear seat frame that the car must have been finished after the 24th of January {my 13th birthday!} The Engine is original 5495766 and the Karmann body number is 3835. What makes these 12 cars unique is that they have the rare 50/50 tail lights which were only used in Australia and Italy and of course Italian cars were LHD. The fuel tank is interesting in that appears that it was made for a RHD car with an Iweg mechanical sender

meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

A Few more photos, The fuel tank ,as you can see it can be manufactures for LHD cars or RHD cars just by re positioning the filler on the top pressing. The second photo is of my home made perspex "widshuts", great for driving over 60KPH .and the last is the assemblers tag on the base of the rear seat with date 23 Jan 61, has anyone else seen on of these?

OldmanVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

CEP wrote:
I own a 1960 Beetle painted in its original color, L349 Jade Green. I would like to paint the wheel rims in the correct L442 Swamp Green ("Sumpfgrün").

Does anyone have the formula to mix L442? If not - any pictures that you could post which show the correct color?

Thanks!

Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

So I picked up a 1960 euro bug (still waiting for a birth certificate to confirm) and I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find answers to.

What color is the steering column suppose to be painted in a flint gray car?
What about the color of the ebrake?
Are the rear kick panels suppose to be black?
What color are the wheels suppose to be? I saw one earlier in this thread with blue, is that correct?

These headlights look incorrect for a Euro model, can someone please help me confirm they should be fluted?

OldmanVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Help -

First question: how can I tell if my steering is 1960 or something else.

Second. Does anyone have one picture of all the guts below the steering wheel of the pieces and parts to the assbly. Spring, seat, plastic bits, circlip. I want to take mine apart and compare piece for piece if I have the right things. My steering wheel had free play..moves in the tube...and I am missing some really cool...small...bit of something.

Actual photos would be awesome!
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

OldmanVw wrote:
Help -

Second. Does anyone have one picture of all the guts below the steering wheel of the pieces and parts to the assbly. Spring, seat, plastic bits, circlip. I want to take mine apart and compare piece for piece if I have the right things. My steering wheel had free play..moves in the tube...and I am missing some really cool...small...bit of something.

I believe 60's should have the horn ring.
Check the first page of this thread for some good links on the horn and it's assembly.
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
Have any of you 1961 owners found an applicable Krylon or similar paint to match the one year only 023 (L468?) "Sand Stone" used on the steering column and brake lever?

Some auto paint places can color match it, if you can get a swatch or large enough piece to bring in, and then you can use a preval spray paint sprayer from home depot to touch up your parts. Preval sprayer are nice for custom matched paint for small stuff.

I did find a rattle can at ACE that is almost a perfect match for the 1961 only "Sand Stone". I used it for the turn lever, shift rod, brake lever and drink holder. The steering wheel is a NOS that had been sitting on a shelf for 53 years. Got lucky with that one! See the results below. This is my '61 Pear White Sedan.

Has anybody been able to find the correct "honey brown" color in a vinyl/plastic paint for use on the mats, shift, and E-brake boot?

How did you find the color code for these items? I'm looking for what color they should be on a 1960 Flint Gray.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Raesunshine9 wrote:
So I picked up a 1960 euro bug (still waiting for a birth certificate to confirm) and I have a few questions that I couldn't seem to find answers to.

What color are the wheels suppose to be? I saw one earlier in this thread with blue, is that correct?

Raesunshine9 wrote:

How did you find the color code for these items? I'm looking for what color they should be on a 1960 Flint Gray.

http://www.buginfo.de/typ1/1960/limousine/l440kieselgrau.htm
Keeponbuggin64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
My new Oct 59 built 60 project...

Its a RHD UK car with factory ragtop, looks to be Mango or Beryl green under the yellow.

Its a real big project, but I intend to do a full restoration:

this is the same color yellow as my 64 what
is the paint code?

The ragtop material looks to be green... is this how it would have left the factory?

Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Raesunshine9 wrote:

Raesunshine9 wrote:

http://www.buginfo.de/typ1/1960/limousine/l440kieselgrau.htm

OMG Thank you! that is exactly what I have been looking for! Very Happy
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

OldmanVw wrote:
Help -

Here Ya go, Awesome thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369613.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 30

Jump to: