Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soupcups Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Smoothies are correct as stated by the above Samba’er. If I’m not mistaken up thru ‘66 have smoothies. Someone here will correct that or concur with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

MANNAXMAN wrote:
Raesunshine9 wrote:
Does anyone know how to tell if these are the correct wheels for a base car?
(I got my birth certificate back and my car had zero options.)
The car is getting ready to come off the cart, and go back on the chassis, and I'm not sure if it is suppose to have the smoothies or these ones with the holes?

It should have smoothies.

Thanks, That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how to tell.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:
Smoothies are correct as stated by the above Samba’er. If I’m not mistaken up thru ‘66 have smoothies. Someone here will correct that or concur with it.

66-67 are slotted so up through 1965.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

soupcups wrote:

Thanks!
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Am i correct in that with a shift rod holder with the tang off the back side, there is no shift rod bushing?

Just like this picture....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/270285.jpg

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good source for a 1960 RHD wiring harness?

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just picked up this 1960 Jade Green bug up for my son.
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Keep it going...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Chassis nm: 30283xx
Late March delivery in Europe. I don’t know anything post 1955, this will be a challenging project.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

OMT wrote:
Chassis nm: 30283xx
Late March delivery in Europe. I don’t know anything post 1955, this will be a challenging project.

Based on the charts here it looks more like Late April delivery. Very nice. Twins:

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jalivwb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Bowden tube for accelerator cable !!
Do I need this on a 60 beetle ?
Not sure if early beetles used it .
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

no the early beetles did not have the bowden tube but there is discussions where they had a synthetic tube somewhere around 1961
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Picked up this 1 owner 1960 indigo blue bug a couple weeks back figured I'd post it here. She's been sitting in a airplane hanger for the last 40 years so the car is pretty rust free. Has the original numbers matching engine still and appears to me that it came with cloth seats, I'll order the birth certificate though.

Vin is 31389XX

What month did production end for the model year? I was always under the impression that VW didn't produce cars Aug-Aug, that they took a break for some reason. This car arrived at the dealership according to the paperwork in Aug of 1960.

And where the bug has been sitting for all these years.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
Picked up this 1 owner 1960 indigo blue bug a couple weeks back figured I'd post it here. She's been sitting in a airplane hanger for the last 40 years so the car is pretty rust free. Has the original numbers matching engine still and appears to me that it came with cloth seats, I'll order the birth certificate though.

Vin is 31389XX

What month did production end for the model year? I was always under the impression that VW didn't produce cars Aug-Aug, that they took a break for some reason.

The VIN above is June, 1960 so definitely a '60.

My understanding is they did have a break near the end of July but from 8/55-on, the model year ran from the start of August through the end of July.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

My guess is people are referring to the typical August shutdowns that occurs even today in Germany. August is considered their holiday month and most companies either shut down or have split shifts where they half the workforce takes a holiday while the other half maintains a skeleton crew and than they swap. We Americans forget how Europeans love their vacation time. Most companies there take some sort of extended break during August. Most of my customers and business come from Europe so I’ve come to expect that August is VERY slow. In Italy and France a lot of companies simply shut down for the entire month.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Thank you Everett, I know the bug is a 1960 model I just haven't owned such a late production car before and it had me wondering when the cutoff was. Good to know they did take a little break.

Thank you Sharp, really interesting I didn't consider their vacation times. That makes sense although I would think that VW vacation times would have been before August as I've seen a good bit of August made cars. I always thought that it was just a break to get them geared up for the next run of cars but never considered vacation times. Btw beautiful indigo bug you have!
BUGWHEEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have April 1960 vin #3033885

I really would like to clear up any doubt it has the original vin body tag.

Numbers match, but some guy is telling it can't be right. So from what I understand from searching the Samba in mid Marth 1960 the tag was changed. I am going to look at the apron to see if it has the the three stamp one. But here is a image of the vin. Please post your mid March on 1960 body vin plate to compare.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malpayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed looking at the nice, complete, and well-maintained cars in this thread. It's nice to see cars that have been taken care of. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those cars. My car is a sibling of the cars here and is more of a bastard child that no one talks about. It's one of the neglected, mistreated, and unloved cars that sat 20+ years out in the elements in Minnesota.

It is a 1960 ragtop that is a combination of two different same-year cars. I don't know why the changed occurred, but can tell by the numbers that they weren't the original pair. I don't know anything about the car before the early 80's, but was told that in the early 80's it was won in a radio contest. That owner replaced the engine after a fire and after experiencing electrical issues, parked it around 1984 and never drove it again. It was sold in an auction in June 2008 and moved to Fargo, ND and I purchased it in July 2010. It has been in my garage since then and I have mostly just disassembled it and made plans that didn't amount to much. I'm really just starting to work on it now (April 2018). If you want to see the status and previous progress (if you can call it that), I have a website at http://www.mybeetlerestoration.com. Don't let this picture fool you - it has a lot of rust repair and many years of work before it is going to be restored and ready to drive.

Body - VIN #2966667 (Mar. 1960)
Chassis - VIN #2850027 (Jan 1960)
4 Tab Hood
L41 Black
3 Finger Apron
H Rear Apron

compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Well here is another to add to the posts. Now my second 61 I own.
We named her Clover.
VIN 3787415 Mar 61 build
Last picture is both 61s Clover and Rosie

&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Anyone else have a '61 with a splitcase transmission?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: